Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: AD wedding video problem and how to react?

Default Re: AD wedding video problem and how to react?

Quote Originally Posted by S2Glow View Post
    T_T then what should i do now? tell me.
    Get your attitude right first.

skill, knowledge can be gained through practice through time with right attitude.
    With wrong attitude, nothing will be learned.

and if you want to ask what is the right attitude. go read through the entire thread again. see what others had advised and what were your replies.
    get out of yourself and read as a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by S2Glow
    After reading sjackel post, I find that you deserved no sympathy nor help. I have deleted whatever I have wrote previously.
    Last edited by coolthought; 23rd June 2012 at 09:17 AM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Can you stop using lol - laugh out loud - in your replies?

I cannot imagine after all this happened and you keep on laughing out loud. I wonder if you even feel remorse.

When I was looking for videographer collaboration you sent me funny video of you messing around with your classmates too and want to charge me $50 per hour. Damn one of the videos is of you digging your nose.

I don't know how you managed to get that couple to book you but they made bad decision and have some degree of responsibility of trusting a clown like you.

Sorry I tried to be nice, but the more I read your replies, the more I feel disgusted.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

lol thats the first time i am doing video haha. i have more video that i learning in school

gonna private it because everybody will keep bashing me instead of sticking to the real topic -_-
    Because it is related! Seven months ago you made your first video and now you think you are ready to offer your sub-par services to others when you had almost no experience? I am even more amazed that in those seven months, you have not encountered a situation, actual or just plain goofing around, that required additional lighting or be shot in less than sufficient light. Either that or your school is providing you a less than adequate learning environment.

lol , i think i need time to get more experience.

thanks all who really do give pointers , i saw that and prob next time practice and learn before doing it ( yay people going to say i am going to be a joke in industry again !! ) , sometimes i feel like just edit the whole page to blank but not gonna do it yet , prob lots of newb seeing this thread also thinking twice whether want to try on wedding or not.

-_- , i feel very regretful at that day and i dont even wanna show my edit highlights because i know i dont have enough time to make it nice and i was very stress when i am editing , i feel that when i stress i can instantly breakdown , thats how tough express edit is . -_-!! , everybody think i am just a complete fcker who want to ruined wedding.

anyway i just going to read the future replies and learn , not gonna explain anymore. people will think i keep blaming , sincerely i want to learn peace yo ^^
    In your first post, you say you are noob, then when people call you noob, you buay song. What is what ah.

YES, INEXPERIENCED PHOTO/VIDEOGRAPHERS (NEWCOMERS) SHOULD THINK TWICE AND NOT JUMP INTO THE OFFERING PROFESSIONAL SERVICES OF ANY KIND IF THEY FEEL THAT THEY ARE NOT UP TO PAR AND CANNOT DELIVER AT ANY TIME. You have already admitted a complete lack of confidence by bringing a friend along to make you feel less afraid. That shows a complete lack of confidence. You think every client like yours so nice. If I were the bloody groom, I would have your head for DELETING that video, never mind the lack of equipment or lack of skill. It takes incompetence or stupidity of immense magnitude in order to pull off such a thing, considering that it would have a very long time-stamp and takes two button presses in order to remove.

Yes, I do think that you were an ******* because you did ruin the couple's wedding. You were not confident of pulling off the job and yet you continued on and screwed the pooch massively. By deleting this thread, it shows that you are unwilling to take complete responsibility in learning from your ways and want to continue blaming the weather, the couple for starting so early and of course, the bloody weather.
    Canon 5D MkIII|70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM|24-70 f2.8 L II USM|Σ 50 f1.4 EX DG HSM

Format your hard drive and memory card, throw your gears into the sea.

YOU CAN EITHER:
    - Continue blaming the weather that was different from all your goofing-around videos and those that you've watched online till 4AM
    - Continue blaming the equipment for being inadequate for what you need
    - Continue blaming your status as a student without enough budget to pull off this shoot with proper equipment and planning
    - Continue blaming the couples for starting at 5am when there's no natural light compared to those videos you've watched
    - Continue blaming the fact that there lights in their rooms are not bright enough for your equipment or your equipment not good enough for the lack of lights

OR:
    - Accept this lesson humbly and look at every individual replies constructively and list out what how you can do better
    - Accept that photography and videography assignments have alot in common, and the 3 main items that top this similarity list is ATTITUDE & LIGHT, both which you seriously lack.
    - Understand the basics of photography and videography and how each differs in different circumstance and settings, and how you should be using all these basics to complement each other during your assignments, photography or videography
    - Shoot and put up more of your BETTER videos on your portfolio, through which you will gain more experience shooting and selecting better works to represent you, and that way, you improve.
    - Accept that murphy's law is omnipotent and the only way to outdo that is prior preparation and practice, NOT pointing fingers at the weather and equipment. No client will care to listen how the weather or selected equipment foul up their shoot, in their opinion and ours, YOU DID.
    - Accept that what you learn or shoot in School VS. Real World is very different. I graduated with an Engineering degree with Honours, but does that make me competent in every engineering-related environment or industry? NO! I still have to start from ZERO when learning from the Real World.

All in all, I thank you again for enlightening (or refreshening) everyone here, both newbies and experienced, on the impact of your foul-up, thereby giving everyone here a reminder on how important it is to not mess up someone's wedding assignment - photography or videography.

the more i see TS' replies, and the replies the pros here have given him, i can't help but feel that TS is one of those youths who thinks they're very good just because they've learned just one thing.

stuck-up, thinks that they're awesome, skilled, can't be bothered with others' advice. all spoilt brats who think that it's never their fault.

and from all the replies TS has made, i don't think he'll even change.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    the more i see TS' replies, and the replies the pros here have given him, i can't help but feel that TS is one of those youths who thinks they're very good just because they've learned just one thing.

stuck-up, thinks that they're awesome, skilled, can't be bothered with others' advice. all spoilt brats who think that it's never their fault.

and from all the replies TS has made, i don't think he'll even change.
    Hello gentlemen,

Just a note with regards to the Gen Z (Generation Z - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) youths. We've had the opportunity to have met/speak with some of them in the course of our work. There's a term being used in Taiwan & China, namely Strawberry Generation. (Strawberry generation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). School & parents have not prepared for regularities of real life hence they have unusual expectations of themselves and are easily bruised/hurt. They expect almost instant success and are not willing to pay their dues in giving time and effort build up their work.

I am not in the position to answer why their psyche is made up that way but perhaps just a word of warning for the professional folks here who are thinking of getting new interns. Do carefully consider because they are really quite untrainable to some extent and it will take a big shock to unlock their mind to the real world.

That said I have met youths (kids and teens) who are exceptions to the rule and are on the other end of the spectrum, who are willing to work hard and endure, much like the Gen Xers etc. I bear no ill will to any of the youths and teens here, especially the OP. Just wanted share some information that mind benefit some of us.

Also, TS has mentioned that he didn't know the lens was too tight for the room. This is a Photography/Video 101 lesson, has TS handled a DSLR before?

Best
    Wesley
    Last edited by wesley; 24th June 2012 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by avsquare View Post
    Format your hard drive and memory card, throw your gears into the sea.
    Don't throw into the sea! Donate to CS

Ok strawberry boy please I hope you already took the initiative to refund your client all their money (hope you had not spent it yet) plus do whatever you can to make the remaining footage work. Hire a pro editor to do it even.

If I am your client I will sue you for no less than $10000 or even higher five digit figure plus legal fees to account for my stress and irrecoverable loss.

Hi guys,

the purpose of marking this thread as sticky is not to shame someone, slam somebody. or make somebody as a laughing-stock

but to highlight to all, don't take any assignments too lightly, be it paid or unpaid.

this is a real life situation, never never take wedding couples as our guinea pigs, the responsibility are far too great for ones to handle, the consequences are not possible to mend if anything went wrong.

I don't think anyone can sleep well at night when made such mistakes, but we know that all these can be preventable, if we only take assignment within our ability, practise extra caution, back up, back up and back up.

of course for those people having a "hack care lar" attitude, this industry has no room for them.

and also bear in mind that those wedding couples who claim to have budget issue, so seeking friends or anyone who happen to own a DLSR to cover their wedding,
    they are thinking exactly the same as you people who think a good camera is all you need for shooting a wedding,
    you say, "what can go wrong when I have XXX camera and XXX lenses in my hand?" "I can photoshop eveything!" "all I need to know is using a correct setting."
    you put your blind faith on your camera/lens, the wedding couple put their blind faith on you.

if anything turn out not to be as expected,
    the wedding couple will behave exactly the same as you, they will just blame on all others but not themselves.
    you blame on your camera/lens, and the wedding couple just put the blame on you.
    you will tell all your friends is because of the camera/lens faults, and the wedding couple will just tell all their friends is all because of your faults,

so tell me, who win who lose??

nobody win, but it is all too late.
    Last edited by catchlights; 23rd June 2012 at 10:54 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

If I were you, I would look at what people think of me, take it as some form of feedback, and self-reflect.

If you really think you are good, then prove it. Work hard, get your better gear, shoot kickass videos and make everyone here eat their words. At the end of the day when you ever reach there, you will probably look back and laugh at how funny you were.

Alternatively, you can keep telling yourself it's the weather, it's your gear. You are the best videographer in the world who would have done well but for the weather and gear. Everyone makes choices... Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Hi guys,

the purpose of marking this thread as sticky is not to shame someone, slam somebody. or make somebody as a laughing-stock

but to highlight to all, don't take any assignments too lightly, be it paid or unpaid.

this is a real life situation, never never take wedding couples as our guinea pigs, the responsibility are far too great for ones to handle, the consequences are not possible to mend if anything went wrong.

I don't think anyone can sleep well at night when made such mistakes, but we know that all these can be preventable, if we only take assignment within our ability, practise extra caution, back up, back up and back up.

of course for those people having a "hack care lar" attitude, this industry has no room for them.

and also bear in mind that those wedding couples who claim to have budget issue, so seeking friends or anyone who happen to own a DLSR to cover their wedding,
    they are thinking exactly the same as you people who think a good camera is all you need for shooting a wedding,
    you say, "what can go wrong when I have XXX camera and XXX lenses in my hand?" "I can photoshop eveything!" "all I need to know is using a correct setting."
    you put your blind faith on your camera/lens, the wedding couple put their blind faith on you.

if anything turn out not to be as expected,
    the wedding couple will behave exactly the same as you, they will just blame on all others but not themselves.
    you blame on your camera/lens, and the wedding couple just put the blame on you.
    you will tell all your friends is because of the camera/lens faults, and the wedding couple will just tell all their friends is all because of your faults,

so tell me, who win who lose??

nobody win, but it is all too late.
    Big Bro Ben I really like your post. I think it sums up everything fairly and objectively. This is not just a lesson for the TS but for all newbies and experienced too. It can happen to anyone even the experienced shoots who grew overly lax or confident. A wake up call.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Have a feeling that this guy took on a bridal shop job or a job sub by bridal-shop-job-subberer. Seems like the couple is not his friend as he describes himself being underpaid... but then again most people in strawberry era seem to feel every darn job is underpaid.

To shoot natural light for actual day in a dim HDB you would need at least a f2.5 - f2 lens... that's why sometimes small (and often assumed to be lousy) sensor CCD camcorders with f2 or larger apertures do better in this aspect, more depth and easier to control. I suspect he is still lacking about 1-stop.

Furthermore TS didn't talk about shutter speed, so TS may I ask whether you even know that video is preferred to be shot at around 1/50? Did you use at least 1/50 or even 1/30 on your VDSLR to get in the most light possible?

To TS and those who like to complain about shooting in cramped HDB, you mean you don't live in one or never been to one? Those BTO HDBs nowadays are expensive but lagi smaller.
    Last edited by surrephoto; 24th June 2012 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    To TS and those who like to complain about shooting in cramped HDB, you mean you don't live in one or never been to one? Those BTO HDBs nowadays are expensive but lagi smaller.
    damn like.

damn like.
    Thus I always suggest that a UWA such as 14-24, 16-35 for FF and 11-16 or 12-24 for Crop is really indispensible for sgp wedding shoots.

Imagine one of the 三姑六婆 say "亚Bói你拍不了啊?", quite malu right?
    Last edited by surrephoto; 24th June 2012 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    Thus I always suggest that a UWA such as 14-24, 16-35 for FF and 11-16 or 12-24 for Crop is really indispensible for sgp wedding shoots.

Imagine one of the 三姑六婆 say "亚Bói你拍不了啊?", quite malu right?
    Yes indeed. Some shooters may choose to go prime, but personally I think a UWA zoom like 14-24/16-35 plus a 70-200 telezoom is the 2 primary lens that must be in your kit.

Yes indeed. Some shooters may choose to go prime, but personally I think a UWA zoom like 14-24/16-35 plus a 70-200 telezoom is the 2 primary lens that must be in your kit.
    It's a good point on gear selection, but your post will make TS will take this opportunity and blame his "lousy" gears again.. Cos he can't afford to buy 14-24/16-35 and 70-200, which can amount up to ~$4k.. Instead of his lack of planning and observation/recce..

Think I shall take a break from this thread.. I better spend more time watching wedding videos and looking at wedding photos.. I'll make great cinematographic videos if i watch more videos! =)

actually for wedding... using a crop with 70-200mm unless u are in outdoor... else its useless since u wun be shooting more then 135mm focal length indoors.

in any case, i prefer to use either 85mm or 135mm due to its light weight.
    Last edited by sinned79; 24th June 2012 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    actually for wedding... using a crop with 70-200mm unless u are in outdoor... else its useless since u wun be shooting more then 135mm focal length indoors.

in any case, i prefer to use either 85mm or 135mm due to its light weight.
    Agreed with the first part especially on "won't be shooting more than 135mm". Actually I think it really depends how the wedding goes and personal preference.. If I were to shoot a wedding, I would have preferred the UWA zoom and telezoom as the primary lens for me to respond quickly to situation (kind of fool-proof). Then throw in a 85L and 135L and maybe also a 35L prime for some creative shoots or thin DOF play if the flow permits, or to deal with extremely poor lighting situations where f/2.8 is not suitable.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast