Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Supercameras

  1. #1

    Default Supercameras

    Supercameras Could Capture Never-Before-Seen Detail - Yahoo! News Singapore

    Without looking at the benefits, imagine the file size of each picture. This is a nightware for any hdd. Maybe in the future, we dont use memory cards/etc anymore. We just plug in a hdd into our camera.
    [This space is available for rent]

  2. #2
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Supercameras

    sure why not ? ... years ago when 8-10mb RAW files were coming out of cameras we thought a ONE GB card was out of this world mind boggling

    today an SD card can hold 32GB and its still the same size as a 1GB SD card .... the algorithms for memory media will keep improving ....
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  3. #3

    Default Re: Supercameras

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    sure why not ? ... years ago when 8-10mb RAW files were coming out of cameras we thought a ONE GB card was out of this world mind boggling

    today an SD card can hold 32GB and its still the same size as a 1GB SD card .... the algorithms for memory media will keep improving ....
    Just that the current technology (or limitation) in reducining the size of hdd is still not there yet. Not sure if the current camera (dlsr at least) can fit a laptop size hdd. With camera's aiming to be smaller, they really need to make leaps-and-bounds improvement in the hdd sizes and capacities to make this viable for consumer use.

    But who knows what will hdd size be in 10 years time
    [This space is available for rent]

  4. #4
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Supercameras

    ha ha years ago i found it difficult to imagine how they were going to squeeze in 3mil dots into a sensor smaller than my smallest finger nail
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  5. #5

    Default Re: Supercameras

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    ha ha years ago i found it difficult to imagine how they were going to squeeze in 3mil dots into a sensor smaller than my smallest finger nail
    True... They probably may have that technology but maybe still not cost effective for consumer applications. Either that, or they are slowly milking us...

    Hmm, wondering if in the future can external hdd take pictures too?? Built-in camera function with zoom and flash!!
    [This space is available for rent]

  6. #6
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Supercameras

    Quote Originally Posted by justme77 View Post
    Supercameras Could Capture Never-Before-Seen Detail - Yahoo! News Singapore

    Without looking at the benefits, imagine the file size of each picture. This is a nightware for any hdd. Maybe in the future, we dont use memory cards/etc anymore. We just plug in a hdd into our camera.
    For industrial use, Bro. ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    sure why not ? ... years ago when 8-10mb RAW files were coming out of cameras we thought a ONE GB card was out of this world mind boggling

    today an SD card can hold 32GB and its still the same size as a 1GB SD card .... the algorithms for memory media will keep improving ....
    Until you start fabricating Very-Large-Scale Integration (VLSI) Intergrated Circuits (ICs) such as microprocessors with transistors just a couple of silicon atoms (> 0.234 nanometer) in size.

    Already Equivalent physical Oxide Thickness (EOT) of the high-k dielectric layer in Intel's latest Ivy Bridge microprocessors fabricated with 22 nanometer manufacturing process is just 0.5 nanometer across (approximately twice that of a silicon atom). We will subsequently be pushing Moore's law to its fundamental threshold limit with issues of quantum leakage and tunnelling coming into play even as Intel's 14 nanometer fabrication lab No. 42 comes on-line within a year or so in Arizona, USA.

    As Moore's law start collapsing in the very near future, will we start seeing the rise of Intergrated Circuits (ICs) based on the principles of quantum mechanics? Very interesting future ahead!
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  7. #7
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Supercameras

    Earlier this month both SanDisk and Toshiba officially announced that they will be producing both their iNAND Extreme series of Embedded Flash Drives (EFDs) and THNSNF series of Solid State Drives (SSDs) respectively with 19 nanometer manufacturing process.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 23rd June 2012 at 07:18 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •