Thread: 2nd Hand Nikon D70 or New Canon 300D?

Default 2nd Hand Nikon D70 or New Canon 300D?

Which is more worth it? Friend told me he's got a lobang for a D70 that's going for about 1.6k, while the 300D is going for about 1.5k+(i think) at John 3:16...How?

Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey
    Which is more worth it? Friend told me he's got a lobang for a D70 that's going for about 1.6k, while the 300D is going for about 1.5k+(i think) at John 3:16...How?
    D70.. reason being, the technology is newer... simple reason...

Try out both and take the one u feel has better handling and ease of use.

If image quality is your priority, go for the 300D. If you do not want to miss any action, then the D70 is a better bet.

Ah..okay..so it doesn't matter if they D70 is a second hand one yeah? Heard that canon also releasing a newer model from the same fella who has the lobang..i haven't checked up on this yet though

If you don't need it urgently, probably you'll want to wait for a month or two ... PMA 2005's coming and I'm expecting a replacement for the ageing 300D ...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    If you don't need it urgently, probably you'll want to wait for a month or two ... PMA 2005's coming and I'm expecting a replacement for the ageing 300D ...
    Hard to imagine something that has been announced less than 16 months be deemed "ageing" . More like miscalculation.

well..i do need the camera for some work related purposes (and of course for hobby in the long term)...so my dilemma...

unless of course there's a place where i can rent a camera.. but heard rental doesn't come cheap...about 100-200 a day

if u think features priority then go for d70 , affordable lense go for 300d..

methink

D70 is a better body compared to the 300D. go for it. 300D does have some features lacking in D70, e.g. support for vertical grip, and it has slightly faster AF.

how much does a nikon lens cost? like telephoto or wide-angle

depends on what you are comfortable with. you could get a pro-level telephoto or wide-angle that's >$2k each or get a third party one that's <$500.

Blog Entries

Don't really know about Canon stuff, but from my limited knowledge

Nikons for wide lenses and Canon for super teles

Both are great camera systems, it just depends on how and what you want to shoot.
    BTW it is the person behind the camera and not the camera that takes great photos.

Hi agentmonkey.
    I know that there are others that disagree with me on this, but, I would not buy second hand.
    It is the same way I would never lend my DSLR to someone.
    It is a personal thing I suppose, but I just wouldn't feel safe with it.
    The 300D is a good camera, or if the D70 seems better to suit you, save for a D70.

Both cameras have merrit.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    BTW it is the person behind the camera and not the camera that takes great photos.
    Not entirely true. If you want to taken fast action images, the 300D will let you down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    I know that there are others that disagree with me on this, but, I would not buy second hand.
    Maybe for the body but its ok to buy second hand lenses. I bought a 4 year old lens about 2 months back and it is performing superbly!

I will suggest since you considering brand new 300D, compare between brand new D70 and new 300D and make your decision after trying out both in the shop and considering the lens options and what features you REALLY need. A new D70 don't cost that much than a 300D if you hunt hard enough and moreover it comes with a much better kit lens.

$1.6K is quite high for a second hand D70 - I'd rather get a brand new one for $1.7k

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    isnt that the 20d? although on paper canon touts the 20d as a replacement for the 10d, somehow packaging-wise more like replacement for 300d. i mean they never sold 10d with kits lens previously.

looking forward to a real 10d replacement.

I believe 300D and 20D / 10D are of different class. The kit lens is usefull for those do not own any lens yet.

300D - Consumer DSLR
    D30 / D60 / 10D / 20D - Prosumer
    1D / 1Ds / 1D MKII / 1Ds MK-II - Pro

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    isnt that the 20d? although on paper canon touts the 20d as a replacement for the 10d, somehow packaging-wise more like replacement for 300d. i mean they never sold 10d with kits lens previously.

looking forward to a real 10d replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    Don't really know about Canon stuff, but from my limited knowledge

Nikons for wide lenses and Canon for super teles

Both are great camera systems, it just depends on how and what you want to shoot.
    hmm..yeah..that's true...but there's really only so much i can do with my current camera..a canon a70! keep getting really frustrated with the motion blur that spoils an otherwise good pic ( or so says some of my friends)...handled a film slr before and my shots seemed to be alot better...

anyway..thanks alot guys... went down to the shop today...apparently the cam is going for about 1.5k now and in supposedly mint condition (wonder if the shop dude is a member of this forum..haha)