Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: 2nd Hand Nikon D70 or New Canon 300D?

  1. #1

    Default 2nd Hand Nikon D70 or New Canon 300D?

    Which is more worth it? Friend told me he's got a lobang for a D70 that's going for about 1.6k, while the 300D is going for about 1.5k+(i think) at John 3:16...How?

  2. #2
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey
    Which is more worth it? Friend told me he's got a lobang for a D70 that's going for about 1.6k, while the 300D is going for about 1.5k+(i think) at John 3:16...How?
    D70.. reason being, the technology is newer... simple reason...

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Try out both and take the one u feel has better handling and ease of use.

  4. #4

    Default

    If image quality is your priority, go for the 300D. If you do not want to miss any action, then the D70 is a better bet.

  5. #5

    Default

    Ah..okay..so it doesn't matter if they D70 is a second hand one yeah? Heard that canon also releasing a newer model from the same fella who has the lobang..i haven't checked up on this yet though

  6. #6
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    If you don't need it urgently, probably you'll want to wait for a month or two ... PMA 2005's coming and I'm expecting a replacement for the ageing 300D ...

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    If you don't need it urgently, probably you'll want to wait for a month or two ... PMA 2005's coming and I'm expecting a replacement for the ageing 300D ...
    Hard to imagine something that has been announced less than 16 months be deemed "ageing" . More like miscalculation.

  8. #8

    Default

    well..i do need the camera for some work related purposes (and of course for hobby in the long term)...so my dilemma...

    unless of course there's a place where i can rent a camera.. but heard rental doesn't come cheap...about 100-200 a day

  9. #9

    Default

    if u think features priority then go for d70 , affordable lense go for 300d..


    methink

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    D70 is a better body compared to the 300D. go for it. 300D does have some features lacking in D70, e.g. support for vertical grip, and it has slightly faster AF.

  11. #11

    Default

    how much does a nikon lens cost? like telephoto or wide-angle

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    depends on what you are comfortable with. you could get a pro-level telephoto or wide-angle that's >$2k each or get a third party one that's <$500.

  13. #13
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Don't really know about Canon stuff, but from my limited knowledge

    Nikons for wide lenses and Canon for super teles

    Both are great camera systems, it just depends on how and what you want to shoot.
    BTW it is the person behind the camera and not the camera that takes great photos.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey
    Which is more worth it? Friend told me he's got a lobang for a D70 that's going for about 1.6k, while the 300D is going for about 1.5k+(i think) at John 3:16...How?
    Hi agentmonkey.
    I know that there are others that disagree with me on this, but, I would not buy second hand.
    It is the same way I would never lend my DSLR to someone.
    It is a personal thing I suppose, but I just wouldn't feel safe with it.
    The 300D is a good camera, or if the D70 seems better to suit you, save for a D70.

    Both cameras have merrit.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    BTW it is the person behind the camera and not the camera that takes great photos.
    Not entirely true. If you want to taken fast action images, the 300D will let you down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    I know that there are others that disagree with me on this, but, I would not buy second hand.
    Maybe for the body but its ok to buy second hand lenses. I bought a 4 year old lens about 2 months back and it is performing superbly!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    443

    Default

    I will suggest since you considering brand new 300D, compare between brand new D70 and new 300D and make your decision after trying out both in the shop and considering the lens options and what features you REALLY need. A new D70 don't cost that much than a 300D if you hunt hard enough and moreover it comes with a much better kit lens.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey
    Which is more worth it? Friend told me he's got a lobang for a D70 that's going for about 1.6k, while the 300D is going for about 1.5k+(i think) at John 3:16...How?
    $1.6K is quite high for a second hand D70 - I'd rather get a brand new one for $1.7k

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    If you don't need it urgently, probably you'll want to wait for a month or two ... PMA 2005's coming and I'm expecting a replacement for the ageing 300D ...
    isnt that the 20d? although on paper canon touts the 20d as a replacement for the 10d, somehow packaging-wise more like replacement for 300d. i mean they never sold 10d with kits lens previously.

    looking forward to a real 10d replacement.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    997

    Default

    I believe 300D and 20D / 10D are of different class. The kit lens is usefull for those do not own any lens yet.

    300D - Consumer DSLR
    D30 / D60 / 10D / 20D - Prosumer
    1D / 1Ds / 1D MKII / 1Ds MK-II - Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    isnt that the 20d? although on paper canon touts the 20d as a replacement for the 10d, somehow packaging-wise more like replacement for 300d. i mean they never sold 10d with kits lens previously.

    looking forward to a real 10d replacement.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    Don't really know about Canon stuff, but from my limited knowledge

    Nikons for wide lenses and Canon for super teles

    Both are great camera systems, it just depends on how and what you want to shoot.
    BTW it is the person behind the camera and not the camera that takes great photos.
    hmm..yeah..that's true...but there's really only so much i can do with my current camera..a canon a70! keep getting really frustrated with the motion blur that spoils an otherwise good pic ( or so says some of my friends)...handled a film slr before and my shots seemed to be alot better...

    anyway..thanks alot guys... went down to the shop today...apparently the cam is going for about 1.5k now and in supposedly mint condition (wonder if the shop dude is a member of this forum..haha)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •