Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

  1. #1

    Post the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    Hi guys,

    I am sure a lot of you sold picture online or at photo stock website.
    I would like to ask, what is your biggest challenges when trying to sell photo(fashion) on photo stock website?
    Is the royalty fee a problem for you guys?
    How many pictures do you upload to photo stock website a month and do you make a good profit out of it?

    guys thank you and I appreciate a lot if you guys could spend a few minutes and help me out with my question...

    thank you

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,385

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    fashion stock has limited uses. The best stock sellers are people on white background, not fashion
    'We are only as good as our next picture!'

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,448

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    agreed with Jace,

    fashion, or even bikini, lingerie, nude has limited uses in stock photos.

    more popular and sought after subjects people in isolated background, in business, medical, consumers, lifestyle theme, but bear in mind there are billions of similar photos out there, it is very competitive in stock photography.

    I don't understand what do you mean by "royalty fee a problem for you guys"? please elaborate.

    anyway, you are competing with many full time stock shooters upload hundreds or more images each months, as a new comer, you will need to spend a few years working very hard to see some results.

    to be very honest with you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    agreed with Jace,

    fashion, or even bikini, lingerie, nude has limited uses in stock photos.

    more popular and sought after subjects people in isolated background, in business, medical, consumers, lifestyle theme, but bear in mind there are billions of similar photos out there, it is very competitive in stock photography.

    I don't understand what do you mean by "royalty fee a problem for you guys"? please elaborate.

    anyway, you are competing with many full time stock shooters upload hundreds or more images each months, as a new comer, you will need to spend a few years working very hard to see some results.

    to be very honest with you.
    there are a lot of stock photo website yet they basically do not offer a high royalty fee like the photographer only got 20%. will it be a problem for you guys?

    I am crafting a web project which will be a benefits for photographer who want to sell photo online but limited to only fashion picture...

    I love taking pictures too and 80% of my photos are declined by stock photo website that's why I wanted to create something where we can sell pictures online and earn more...

    if any of you want an update regarding this project, you can drop me PM with your email. I will notify you once the project is online...

    cheers and shot...

  5. #5

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    Plus you may have a copyright issue - if it is high fashion, the fashion house has a copyright on the design. Selling a picture of that will have copyright issues. It is similar to taking a picture of artwork.

    The biggest issue is that there is little market for stock images of fashion. Understand the industry before you try to change the game. Fashion images that are cutting edge normal have a shelf life of 6 months to a year - fashion trends change rapidly and what is cutting edge today will look old and dowdy in due course.

  6. #6

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    Plus you may have a copyright issue - if it is high fashion, the fashion house has a copyright on the design. Selling a picture of that will have copyright issues. It is similar to taking a picture of artwork.

    The biggest issue is that there is little market for stock images of fashion. Understand the industry before you try to change the game. Fashion images that are cutting edge normal have a shelf life of 6 months to a year - fashion trends change rapidly and what is cutting edge today will look old and dowdy in due course.
    Words of gold.

    Listen to bro ellery.

    The word Fashion and Stock already don't rhythm.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  7. #7

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    From my knowledge, major fashion houses have their own Campaigns. They have a seasonal product range and the advertising campaign is tailored to fit the theme

    Small retailers, like blogshops or those small shops will most likely want to photograph their own products

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,448

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    Quote Originally Posted by lioneysg View Post
    there are a lot of stock photo website yet they basically do not offer a high royalty fee like the photographer only got 20%. will it be a problem for you guys?

    I am crafting a web project which will be a benefits for photographer who want to sell photo online but limited to only fashion picture...

    I love taking pictures too and 80% of my photos are declined by stock photo website that's why I wanted to create something where we can sell pictures online and earn more...

    if any of you want an update regarding this project, you can drop me PM with your email. I will notify you once the project is online...

    cheers and shot...
    I do not see as a problem when the royalty fee only 20%, it is a fair game, when your images are more popular and sought after, you will earn a higher rate of royalty, beside, micro stocks image is a number game, you want to earn more, shoot more and upload more, simple as that.


    you need to look at the rejection of photos submission positively,

    for technical issue.... simply put it, the quality may not up to par,

    for copyrights issue.... no photo buyers will want to risk themself, so no sale.

    for no market potential issue.... very low or no sale, means not profitable,

    every single photos you upload has a cost, (time or money)
    soon or later you will know is not worth to upload photos has no potential of sales.

    the agancies are helping you to make your photos more saleable, you make money, they will make money too.



    and thank you for your offer, but I'm exclusive with istockphoto, not allowed to sell my photos in any other areas. (except under rights managed licence or commissioned assignments)


    Good luck and all the best.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    Guys thank you a lot for you opinions. I will need to do more market research on my project.

    @catchlights
    (except under rights managed licence or commissioned assignments)
    is that mean you can sell a same picture at istock and other website like shutterstock , fotolia etc? If I created a new website like istock, is that mean you are allow to sell it on my new website?
    Are you able to sell your own pictures at your own website/blog while those pictures are also available at istock?

    I am so sorry I am just new with photography copyright and would be nice if you could help me.

    to all other my senior @nedy77,@sjackal,@ellery @JacePhoto, thank you so much for the valuable opinion

    please enjoy the thursday

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,448

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    a simple explanation is;

    I can't sign with other agencies and sell my photos thru them.
    even some photos hosting sites which able to let other people download images, either I disable the feature or I don't place any of my photos there
    My photos/video which are in istockphotos, it is exclusively with them, not available anywhere else.

    I can sell my other photos/video which are not in istockphoto under rights managed licence at my site, I can accept commissioned assignments.

    and to sell photos
    under rights managed licence, is far too complicated, and I don't have the time to manage it, and it won't justify my efforts for doing so.







    one more thing,

    in any business, the right way is find out the market desire first, than design a product to fulfil their needs, not the other way round.
    Last edited by catchlights; 21st June 2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    a simple explanation is;

    I can't sign with other agencies and sell my photos thru them.
    even some photos hosting sites which able to let other people download images, either I disable the feature or I don't place any of my photos there
    My photos/video which are in istockphotos, it is exclusively with them, not available anywhere else.

    I can sell my other photos/video which are not in istockphoto under rights managed licence at my site, I can accept commissioned assignments.

    and to sell photos
    under rights managed licence, is far too complicated, and I don't have the time to manage it, and it won't justify my efforts for doing so.







    one more thing,

    in any business, the right way is find out the market desire first, than design a product to fulfil their needs, not the other way round.
    Dear catchlights,

    thank you again for the insight. I read more detail about the right managed license and also royalty free license. I understand better now.

    in any business, the right way is find out the market desire first, than design a product to fulfil their needs, not the other way round.
    This is totally correct. I consider my project could solve my problem as a photographer but I am not sure in other photographer point of view.
    I fully respect everybody here and never mean to advertise but if anyone especially catchlights, wanted to know more about my project and could give me some information about my project, it would be really really kind.

    anyway thank again for the insight and I am doing my brain storming now....

    @respected member and catchlights, please do not mind if I write to your PM and will ask your opinion later day about my web project....

  12. #12

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    It is good to see that you are doing your homework before you plunge into setting up a stock images website.

    Please pardon me if I am wrong . I suppose the main reason that drives you to setup this stock images website that focus on fashion images is that you love to take photos, maybe to be exact - so called fashion images . You try to sell it to stock agency but they decline it.

    If you think a step further, why would the stock agency rejects the photos? It can be due the quality of the images or most important, whether there is a demand for the images. The big stock agencies have do their market research well and they know exactly what kind of images the customer are looking for. So if you are trying to sell something on your own site that is rejected by them, it is probably not a smart move.

    As for having photographers to sell their images on your website, there are many things you need to work on ... the copyright of the images, the payment terms etc. It is easy to think that the return of 20% and lower is very little from stock agency, so why not you do your own sales or invite other photographers to join your stock site and give them higher return (30% or even 50%). But then you will realize that you need invest and put in a lot of effort to maintain and advertise you site in order for people to find you.

    It may sounds attractive for the photographers to join you, they will be excited and upload images for you sell but eventually if the traffic is slow and sales are low, they will realize their effort and time of uploading the images is not worthwhile.

    In short, setting up a website to sell stock images is not impossible but you must be prepared to invest and put in continuous effort to maintain it. You may only see the results in months if not after a few years or running.


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,932

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    A simple "reserch" which you can do is to take a look at the terms and condition of sales from other stock agencies, assume that you use the same T&Cs, would you be able to manage your business under such terms and conditions, do you have the resources to monitor unauthorised usage, presue the matter, etc in order to protect the rights of your photographer?
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  14. #14

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    To TS,

    You also need to think about how much you have to pour in to advertise and market your webby to get any notice.

    I would think for any stock webby will need millions of dollars to hit it off internationally.

    The commission may seems small from those stock library, but it doesn't mean that they took a clean profit of 70-80%. If everything run smoothly, if they can have a clean profit of 30% is very respectable.

    A new product to get known, typically you need to spend between $800K to $1m before making any respectable return for an establish company. At least this is how much I lean to have one product to penetrate the market when I was in corporate world.

    For example, when coca cola is trying to create coke zero... That is probably how much they need to spend so it is noticed.

    This is a basic business number game.

    A successful business is more then just have a nice website and good content. There are a lot of little nitty gritty that makes a business work.

    Hope you are well.

    Regards,

    Hart

  15. #15

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    The key to your website is advertising, not getting photographers interested. No sustainable advertising plan, no take off. Even if you are not planning to take it internationally, and just cater to photographers in the region, you need to have a large budget to get your branding out in the market, and stay there. Legal costs are no less daunting - to ensure your T&Cs are catered to your market and protect you from being an easy target of litigation.

    You may aim to start small and make your project grow as you gain more experience, but please make sure you don't lose big. Get enough capital, get yourself out there, and make sure your T&Cs are tight.
    Nikonian since 2003
    F55 | D700

  16. #16

    Default Re: the challenges on photo stock (fashion)?!

    To get an idea of the kind of work/investment this might take, check out this post by Yuri Acurs about the lessons he learned in his journey to develop and launch his own microstock site: Royalty Free Images and Stock Photos | PeopleImages.

    My thoughts on how I experienced being a photographer venturing into IT, equipped only with a high ambitions and a good idea. Not all good!

    Royalty Free Images and Stock Photos | PeopleImages is out of beta as of today! Two years of project management, 5 developers, 2 designers, 1 front-end developer and we have finally arrived at a live Royalty Free Images and Stock Photos | PeopleImages. In this post I will elaborate a little on how it has been for me (a photographer, a non-IT guy) to learn how to project manage and execute a fully fledged IT project and launch a direct sales platform.
    www.peopleimages.com has launched – this is how it happened! | Yuri Arcurs

    "Yuri Arcurs is the worlds top selling microstock photographer and sells over 1,1million individual licenses per year. "
    The artist is the hand that plays ... to cause vibrations in the soul Kandinsky | Instagram

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •