Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traffice police letter to appear in court!!

Default sympathy..

Quote Originally Posted by frusdriver
    I have just received a letter from Traffic Police to appear in court for driving above the imposed speed limit. The frustrating thing is that I don't even know which part of the road they stated that the offence took place! There is no 50kmph speed limit along the stretch of the road they stated as well!!
    Anyone knows what would happen in court? Beside stating 12 demerit points, no fine amount was stated, does that mean I will have to pay a very heavy fine like $1000? I can appeal before I appear in court??

Thanks!
    dude...i feel bad for u...u oso very suai..kena take photo?? i guess next time u got to drive two wheel vehicle rather than four wheel...then your speed limit will maintain at 40kph. i suggest u go and take a apps form from Traffic department...next time you be the TP...can issue "saman" to ppl...maybe Traffic will give u some "komisen" ??one ticket 20 dollar???

guess u can check with lawyer first...this case seem to be very unfair to u....any evident show that u offended law?

kimu.
    KIM & PPY
    Black Camp F100,D90, AFD 35mm f2.0, Voigtlander Cosina 58mm Nokton Classic F1.4.

He shouldn't be speeding in the first place, that's his mistake. Evidence? Speed camera's the best evidence. What's there to lie?

Threadstarter can go and consult a lawyer if he feels 'unfair' but ultimately he'll be wasting his money all the same.

It makes me wonder, why do people always point the blame towards others when they are in the wrong in the first place?

If one breaks the law then one deserves the punishment. Speeding is deadly, TP should request for jail term to the speeding driver; just fine money and demerit points are too easy for them.

I feel that is absolutely unfair to the treadstarter that he was issued such a letter without being told on which road, at what speed he was travelling and the speed limit of that road. In fact, I think it is only fair that he receives evidence of the offence he made. After all, its no light punishment. Anyway, i think he won't post such a thread here if a picture was issued together with the letter and he know his mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    If one breaks the law then one deserves the punishment. Speeding is deadly, TP should request for jail term to the speeding driver; just fine money and demerit points are too easy for them.
    i agree that whoever breaks the law deserves to be punished.

cannot put into jail la, maintaining a jail very expensive leh....feed them, bath them, look after them.... collect fine from offenders better..

i rather the TP show their presence more, emphasize on the prevention rather than enforcement. like what the police is doing to deter terrorism, have armed policemen doing patrol at high risk areas.

all drivers out there, who never break the speed limit??? im sure most do, but just never got caught. so beware!!!

U need to get charged for murder before u know that murder is a capital punishment?

Fact:
    Speeding = Offence = Kena Charge = Heavy Fine

If one still needs telling and a court order to tell him which road he speeds on and stuff like dat, its best he don't drive at all. The fact that one can't even recall which road he's speeding on makes him all the more dangerous.

Default Driving in Oz

Just a little side track:

I was driving in Oz for a week during my honeymoon and I don't remember seeing any TP on the road.... but everyone was well within the speed limit! WHY??? interesting question....... speed limit signs are also well posted on every stretch of road (in Melbourne and whole of Victoria)!

And what I like about their road is that if there's any road work signs are placed far before the work site with clear warnings including correct distances. Here in Singapore you'll usually only see road works warning signs 20m or less... and these are usually very confusing.... There are also many cases of warning signs not cleared even after road works have been completed. I wonder what LTA is doing these days???

In Singapore you see TP and speed cameras so frequently but still most people don't stick to speed limit! WHY???

We don't see many speed limit signs here, eg. on Lornie rd you'll only see the speed limit sign at the bend near to Mount Alvernia.... and it says 70km/hr. So does it mean that at the bend you can travel up to 70km/hr but after that you can only go at 50km/hr? Thats very weird! So far nobody I've talk to seems to know whats the actual speed limit for Lornie rd to Farrer rd!

Bus lane is another interesting thing here... they're marked for buses to travel on only at certain hours but I've came across many cases where the buses were traveling on the middle lane instead of the designated bus lane?! So a 3 lane road becomes 1 lane instead

All the best for this thread starter!

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    U need to get charged for murder before u know that murder is a capital punishment?

Fact:
    Speeding = Offence = Kena Charge = Heavy Fine

If one still needs telling and a court order to tell him which road he speeds on and stuff like dat, its best he don't drive at all. The fact that one can't even recall which road he's speeding on makes him all the more dangerous.
    Erm, I can't sue someone without any evidence right?

Why can't sg police do the same? (ok, maybe the police does have evidence of him speeding, but at least PROVE IT!)

Quote Originally Posted by taku1a
    The irony is that Singapore drivers are angry because many of our Police don't accept Ang Pow money. The impression is that the neighbouring country is friendlier because they do.
    I am very happy that the Police do not accept Ang Pow money. Do you mean what you said here?

Quote Originally Posted by frusdriver
    The frustrating thing is that I don't even know which part of the road they stated that the offence took place! There is no 50kmph speed limit along the stretch of the road they stated as well!!
    Read carefully people. the summons stated which road it is. they also stated that it is a 50kmph speed limit. Do you need to be given the GPS coordinates where he is photographed?

Driving 40-50kph above the speed limit in a minor road can hardly claimed to be an oversight. You could ask for evidence (and probably should) but heck, if you KNOW you have driven at that kind of speed, then I suggest you plead guilty, hope for a light sentence, and most importantly DO NOT SPEED in future!

Think about it, driving at 110kph on a highway is A LOT LESS DANGEROUS than driving at 90kph in a HDB estate road. so yes, most people speed at times, but speeding on a highway probably will kill just yourself, speeding through residential estates and traffic junctions will kill other innocent people

Ris Goh, the reason is because of "hidden" speed cameras, even on quiet suburban roads. They're pretty strict there ... even 10km over speed limit will get you a nasty surprise in the mail. I was told that they put speed cameras in unmarked, unattended cars parked by the roadside. And I have friends who worked on image enhancement software for the Victoria Police, so cannot escape ... the photos would be sharp and clear

And I do agree that speed limits need to be enforced ... many years ago, in my younger and arguably more stupid days, I drove long distance without rest, and of course sped up to get home quicker, and in hindsight, thankfully got caught by a speed trap at 4am on a quiet country road. If not, I'd probably not be able to type this today. I was a hundred dollars and several demerit points poorer, but wiser and more importantly, alive and well to pay the fine.
    Last edited by ericp; 16th January 2005 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ericp
    Ris Goh, the reason is because of "hidden" speed cameras, even on quiet suburban roads. They're pretty strict there ... even 10km over speed limit will get you a nasty surprise in the mail. I was told that they put speed cameras in unmarked, unattended cars parked by the roadside. And I have friends who worked on image enhancement software for the Victoria Police, so cannot escape ... the photos would be sharp and clear
    I have seen the photos, they are indeed very sharp. Was at a shop in Surfer's Paradise when the shopkeeper opened his mail to the "nasty surprise".

I'm not going to get involved in the what's 'right' and what's wrong' issues here.

All I can offer is this example:

Someone I knew had a simple traffic fine that would have costed him $300 and only a few demerit points (can't remember now).

He was adament, and refused to pay.

When reminded and warned, he chose to take the case to court cos he believed it 'was unfair' and challenged the authorities.

In light of the utter lack or any irrefutable evidence against the authorities, he was ordered to pay a fine of $1 or $2K.

He still insisted he was right.

Many months down the road, and after so much fuming and high-blood pressure cussing and swearing, he was about $12K poorer (including lawyer fees),and he faced a 1-year suspension (not a good thing considering that he was in sales).

To think, he could have just paid a small fine of $300 with what ... ? 4 or 6 demerit points?

What one thinks is 'right' is entirely up to oneself.

All the best.

Been there, done that.

Was charged in court for speeding before. In your case, for exceeding 40+ km/h, the penalty will be 12 demerit points + a fine of ~$800-$900. If you've got at least 12 points left, then you'll still get to keep your licence (most probably). Otherwise, you might be suspended or have your licence revoked.

If you want to appeal, you can write in to the Traffic Police OC Traffic Violations Dept (confirm this yourself). More often than not, the appeal will be unsuccessful.

On the day when you attend court, dress decently and just plead guilty - don't be a smart alec - your fate lies with the judge. After which, receive your penalty and walk away as a safer driver.

Now, my personal take on this issue is that speeding should be deterred and the traffic police are doing what they can to ensure that. Seriously, it's easy to blame others and even rationalize (yes, those rational lies) that act of speeding. Yet that very (selfish) act itself endangers the lives of others.

Take for example the taxi driver who knocked down a poly student not long ago, the driving ban and fine is a small issue compared to the guilt and remorse that's gonna be on his conscience for the rest of his life.

I've seen many of such accidents (and even been involved in minor ones) and it's an absolutely painful (mental and physical) experience for the victims and their loved ones. If you recall the SCDF motorcyclist who died at the junction near the entrance of NTU, well, I happened to be there that day and I saw the rider's lifeless body partially under the car. I don't know how others feel about it, but if obeying the speed limits can possibly help avoid another loss of life in any way at all, I think it is something worth doing.

I think it's times like these that people ought to look in the mirror, stop justifying and complaining, and start reflecting. Life is indeed fragile - and no amount of justification for speeding and blaming speed traps shows respect in any form for the sanctity of human life.

Disclaimer : No guarantees are made on the penalties that has been mentioned. The speculated punishments are based solely on my personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by imaginary_number
    Been there, done that.

Was charged in court for speeding before. …

After which, receive your penalty and walk away as a safer driver.

…etc etc…
    hopefully our threadstarter will learn the same lesson you had.

Last edited by hwchoy; 16th January 2005 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeowww
    all drivers out there, who never break the speed limit??? im sure most do, but just never got caught. so beware!!!
    Then take it from someone who did and got caught - don't beware, just behave.

The threadstarter registered this account just to post this?

Is it a test of this forum's mentality or someone in disguise who is afraid of marring his/her reputation?

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy
    I feel that is absolutely unfair to the treadstarter that he was issued such a letter without being told on which road, at what speed he was travelling and the speed limit of that road. In fact, I think it is only fair that he receives evidence of the offence he made. After all, its no light punishment. Anyway, i think he won't post such a thread here if a picture was issued together with the letter and he know his mistake.
    My brother also received such a letter and he called TP and they told him the location, time and speed he was travelling in. I suggest the threadstarter could call TP to find out his details.

Quote Originally Posted by yaoxing

Is it a test of this forum's mentality or someone in disguise who is afraid of marring his/her reputation?
    whats new?
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by yaoxing

If this is a test of this forum's mentality, I think the thread starter will be highly impressed.

If this is a disguise then he/she is sorry that ClubSnappers will be in front of the court waiting to take his/her photo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast