Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Estimated Cost of A DSLR system

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    Each frame can be scanned up to 20MP (4000DPI) of detail.
    Ability to scan up to 20MP doesn't mean that the film contains so much details though. I'm not sure of the exact resolution of film but generally, it might not be anything more than 8MP. what's the largest size you could print without degradation in quality? that would give an indication of the resolution of film.

Managed to find an article that shows the results of testing of different types of film/slides. Velvia captures a lot more details than the current 6-8MP DSLR but faster positives lose out.
    http://clarkvision.com/imagedetail/f....summary1.html

you can always scan higher and higher but there's only so much details in source (e.g scanning a magazine, printed around 300DPI, higher than 600dpi doesn't help extract more details). another e.g. would be digitising of sound. CD quality is sampled at ~44KHz which is around twice the range of human's ability to hear/sing. sampling higher doesn't help.
    Last edited by mpenza; 18th January 2005 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainism
    anywhere i can read up on NIKON lenses(diff type/grades etc?) and its compatible lenses like SIGMA?
    you could check out the following websites:
    http://www.nikonlinks.com/equipment_...prime-wide.htm
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom.html
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/index.php?cat=1
    http://photographyreview.com
    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...les/index.html

There're probably more that others could list.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    e.g. would be digitising of sound. CD quality is sampled at ~44KHz which is around twice the range of human's ability to hear/sing. sampling higher doesn't help.
    :P you hit my area of specialty. Yes, sampling at 44.1KHz is a must to prevent aliasing (conform to nyquists theorem) to get a flat response and relax on the hardware constraints of a sharp filter (4khz roll-off transition band). and 44.1KHz is not chosen at random. It is the frequency that will cost least harmonics in the lower frequency. More professional systems will go in rates of this 44.1KHz. We can't sample any sound that isn't produced by using higher sampling frequencies, but we can make the reproduction of it to lose less information.

putting it in perspective of flim, i think it is possible that if we scan the negatives with higher resolutions, we may not stand to gain anything more that isn't in the pic but we will not lose out on the finer details (like strands of hair on in a portrait pic)

I read from your link, it says digital camera has got better and wider dynamic range than flim! this is the first time I hear this statement.
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 19th January 2005 at 02:27 AM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Thanks for the more detailed explanation on sampling of sound I covered a bit during my school days.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I read from your link, it says digital camera has got better and wider dynamic range than flim! this is the first time I hear this statement.
    I didn't read the entire article was just trying to find one that discusses resolution of film.

had originally linked to another article on www.luminous-landscape.com that said the pic captured on Phase One P25 22MP back produces images as detailed as 4x5 film, but that's a round about way of looking at it

anyway,i dun have the slightest idea how to choose a zoom len.

anywhere i can read up on NIKON lenses(diff type/grades etc?) and its compatible lenses like SIGMA?
    Try this ---> http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=28

someone said 1ds mk2 already outresolves/matches MF film

Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    That might be debatable, but to be honest, with the exception of about 1-3% of the industry (base on my guess), the rest will be more than happy with the resolution offered by the 1DsMkII

hi,
    wanna get the advice of u guys.
    just wanting to estimate the cost of getting a DSLR system so that i know roughly how much i need to save.
    basically interested in landscape, abit of sports(currently have abt 3 yrs left of NTU inter hall level sports) and event photography(dinner and dance) and maybe portraits. interests in order of preference.

Current List That I came up with

01 x dry cabi = $120?
    01 x D70 Kit = $1700?
    01 x 80x 1 GB CF card = $190(does the D70 package come with a 80x card?)
    01 x Flash(seems like most ppl advise SB 800?) = $650?
    01 x tripod = $200?
    01 x bag = $100-$200?
    01 x zoom lens(pls advise)[for those in NTU, one that can comfortably zoom from the main field grand stand to the field]

sigh, DSLR system very ex!!!
    but really quite limited by my A80
    so seriously considering joining the fray, hope u guys can help...
    Think you can save on these
    1. Dry Box (no need to get a professional one, as long as u get a bottle of S.G, and a cabinet is good enough for keeping ur camera dry for awhile)

2. D70 and 300D offers the lowest end in dSLR. Try looking for a second hand, might set u off a few hundreds off.

3. D70 doesn't come with free CF card, can always get a 512 second hand which is cheaper.

4. Flash, unless you need it, D70 and 300D comes with a built in flash for pretty limited distance, so that's good enough or look for the older flash units like SB25, is good enough. Used this on my F80, simply perfect.

5. Bag - usually you get it real cheap.

6. Lens. think in terms of what you need, and i recommend 24-70mm, it has wide angle 24mm to a pretty decent zoom distance at 70mm. In a lens, always go for the f2.8 or lower, this setting will tell you how crisp the image will appear, esp so for a dSLR. no point getting a nikkor lense, a similar one with Sigma is 1/2 the price and quality is about 80% of that a nikkor lense. Budget lens.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkertR
    D70 Kit = $1700 or slightly less (body + 18-70mm lens and usually 1 or 2GB 80x lexar - MS Color)
    Flash =~$350-620 (SB600 or SB800)
    Zoom lense = ~$320+ (Nikon AF-G 70-300mm) - the ED costs 620. or just get the sigma.. 300+ also and has 2 ED elements.
    Prime lense = ~$170 (Nikon AF-D 50mm f/1.8) <-- good lens.
    hey ParkertR,

where do i find the lens that u r talking about at this price?

thanx

The Nikkor 70-300G can get from MS Color at that price... 320-330
    the Sigma 70-300 is about 360 or 380 i believe
    Budget wedding photographer :)

hey ParkertR,

u mentioned that MS COLOR is selling D70 with 1GB 80X CF card at $1700?

is this true? with or without GST?

Quote Originally Posted by ParkertR
    The Nikkor 70-300G can get from MS Color at that price... 320-330
    the Sigma 70-300 is about 360 or 380 i believe
    last checked yesterday aft:

Nikkor 70-300G w/nikon warranty...S$280
    Sigma 70-300 Apo Macro II...S$330

both quotes possibly b4 GST.

cheers

u've gotta call MS COlor... look for florence or willy. florence is the boss. as for the price... uve gotta call to check. get the best price frm anywhere n they'll match it.
    Budget wedding photographer :)

Hi, may I know what is degradation in quality? Is it a preference? I have seen a 1600x1200 cropped to 3:2 ratio printed on an S8R, minimal noise or degradation. I have sent another picture shot on FujiFilm Superia 400, printed on S8R, see a lot of grain. Once I move away, the grain just disappear. What I want to say is that digital imaging caused many people to look at the technical aspect many of the time. A bigger print is meant for further viewing distance most of the time. A bigger print from digital images are not so prone to image degradation due to the fact that it allows post processing that smoothen out the picture itself. Basically a larger file gives you a bigger file to work with, hence less problem then when you need to up sample it.

I have yet to see a way where it is possible to compare film and digital, coz there is just no good way to compare. So we just shoot what we like, moreover film and digital will coexist for years to come. Maybe 35mm format for film may die, I will just get a MF camera to shoot then.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    Ability to scan up to 20MP doesn't mean that the film contains so much details though. I'm not sure of the exact resolution of film but generally, it might not be anything more than 8MP. what's the largest size you could print without degradation in quality? that would give an indication of the resolution of film.

Managed to find an article that shows the results of testing of different types of film/slides. Velvia captures a lot more details than the current 6-8MP DSLR but faster positives lose out.
    http://clarkvision.com/imagedetail/f....summary1.html

you can always scan higher and higher but there's only so much details in source (e.g scanning a magazine, printed around 300DPI, higher than 600dpi doesn't help extract more details). another e.g. would be digitising of sound. CD quality is sampled at ~44KHz which is around twice the range of human's ability to hear/sing. sampling higher doesn't help.

what do u guys think of the

SIGMA 70-300mm f4-5.6 Macro Super II?

NIKON NIKKOR 70-300mm f4-5.6G?

D70 guys????

just a noob question... is the ED on the 70-300 really worth the extra 300??

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbean
    just a noob question... is the ED on the 70-300 really worth the extra 300??
    Firstly it aint only due to the Single ED lens element (yes the ED is only 1 element, according to catalog), that makes it cost more.
    the ED version has a Aperature Ring, so if u have Manual Nikon cameras u can use it on the camera. (like FM2, FA, FM3A...etc)

The 'G' doesnt have a aperature ring.

And I was thinking the same thing too, since most of the time, I wont be able to tell the pic taken from a 70-300 AF-G (non ED) and a 70-300 AF-D (ED).

And I was in very tight budget, the $300 savings could get me another 1GB CF or an ImageTank-like Device for more storage.

The Sigma and Tamron 70-300 costs slightly more than a AF-G NIkkor, but they too include a LD element (like the ED) in their lens, and they have a aperature ring and they have Limited Macro Capabilities too.

They are worth a 2nd look, if you are looking for a low end telephoto lens.

Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    WoW, interesting!!! Who is the ONE who says that?
    A 35mm film could not even outresolves a MF film camera and now 'that someone' saying a 1dsmk2 can outresolves MF film? A fairy tale?

Don't forget the hardware and the software costs too, folks...

D70 with Kit lens $1700
    1 GB card -$200
    1 prime lens 50/1.8 $170 (good for available light portraits) (optional)
    Another zoom lens ($600-$$$$) (optional)
    Dry box ($130 at Carrefour-huge, very useful).

1 Pentium IV or AMD equivalent PC with 1 gig ram PLUS 120G hdd ($1,000+)
    Nikon Capture Software $190.
    Picasa 2 software-free from google but invaluable for organizing.
    Photoshop Elements 3.0 (optional).

1 backup drive 120 Gig ($200+) or use CD-R (a real pain).

Expensive, expensive, expensive hobby! Much better in the old days with 120 roll film and home processing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12