Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie! I don't have a DSLR? Which camera shall I buy?

Default Re: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie! I don't have a DSLR? Which camera shall I buy?

When I talk to the Alan Photo and Cathay guys, don't feel very good. They are just salesman. They sense that I'm new and will not commit, they just don't care and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by vcsh88

I like Canon because I don't like Nikon. I once bought a point and shoot Nikon and it spoilt very quickly. I don't have a DSLR before so I want to get one. I was photographic society president because the girls like me, they enjoy my dark room sessions (pls lah, its not what you think).

How long do you think a 600D will last before it dies?
    As soon as the battery runs out of juice Or as soon as one of the components stop working. You can check with Canon SG for these info (although i doubt they have this info for lower end model like 600d)

Simple answer, yes you need dry cabinet (prefered over dry box) What size and model, only you can answer that.

Cheers.
    Last edited by SilentSeth; 30th June 2012 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vcsh88
    When I talk to the Alan Photo and Cathay guys, don't feel very good. They are just salesman. They sense that I'm new and will not commit, they just don't care and move on.
    They have other customers to serve also lah.. And yes of course they are salesman. what's wrong with being served by a salesman? Do you expect the CEO of Cathay Photo to serve you directly?

Default Re: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie! I don't have a DSLR? Which camera shall I buy?

using 600D , 7 month i put in my bag before i get a dry box and my kit lens have this white opaque stuff inside seems like dust but idk , cant remove lol.

best is to get ^^

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSeth View Post
    They have other customers to serve also lah.. And yes of course they are salesman. what's wrong with being served by a salesman? Do you expect the CEO of Cathay Photo to serve you directly?
    Problem is, that these sales men only want to sell .. whereas many customers need some form of advice (similar to TS). But sales men in many local shops rather take the chance to carrot and rip off unknowing customers for a quick profit - leaving frustrated customers. If it were only about selling nobody needed these uncles, any clueless but pretty sales girl would do a better job as long as she can operate the cashier system.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine
    Problem is, that these sales men only want to sell .. whereas many customers need some form of advice (similar to TS). But sales men in many local shops rather take the chance to carrot and rip off unknowing customers for a quick profit - leaving frustrated customers. If it were only about selling nobody needed these uncles, any clueless but pretty sales girl would do a better job as long as she can operate the cashier system.
    I would certainly go to that store.

TS, you can try the canon centre at vivocity. It's near gv on lvl 2. They might be more willing to give you time.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

I think there is EOS 650D available now.
    Canon is a rather complete package. Easy to sell in future. So you won't be wrong to start with a Canon.

If you are not bias, take a look at Pentax K5, Sony SLT A57 or 77 or try mirror less camera like micro Four Thirds - Panasonic or Olympus. Or Sony NEX series.

Many cameras today are equally good.
    E-M5 | O12-50 | O45/1.8 | P14/2.5 | O40-150 R | O17/1.8
    Metz 32CT7 | Flux Capacitor

Quote Originally Posted by milez View Post
    Canon is a rather complete package.
    Not so sure leh. To me it's the least bang for buck. Others offer more features for your $$$.
    Alpha

For me, started with a 500D. If you have budget should buy a second hand camera. If want Dslr can consider a 50D. Body is better made compared to 60D. Or can Ger a 550D if have tighter budget. I sold my 500d for 400 bucks. I think now is lower.

Lens will depend on you. But if you want to shoot straight away, the 50mm f1.8 is like 80 to 90 for second hand. So its like less than 500 for a 500d with 50mm.

Then shoot la. Shoot until you feel you outgrow it then upgrade. No point buy one new one then seat in dry box for months if you don't use.

My 2 cents.

Can consider smaller cameras like fujifilm x100, or nex or ep1 ep3 etc. Similiar priced with new 600d but smaller.

Depends on what you want to shoot too. So really very subjective.

I have a x100 I use for street and a ff now for landscapes and family.
    My Gear : Me, Myself and Joshua
    http://www.newbietophotography.com

Canon is a rather complete package. Easy to sell in future. So you won't be wrong to start with a Canon.

If you are not bias, take a look at Pentax K5, Sony SLT A57 or 77 or try mirror less camera like micro Four Thirds - Panasonic or Olympus. Or Sony NEX series.

Many cameras today are equally good.
    I don't think its good for the TS to buy a camera with selling in mind. This will cause the urge for constant upgrading and the loss of money from buying and selling.

Best way is to research on all the brands and stick to the camera until you see a need to upgrade.

I don't see any specific advantage that Canon has. And in terms of resale value one should never bet anything on consumer electronics. The next hot feature will make all current models look old and the market value drop like stone in the fish tank..
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by vcsh88 View Post
    Do I need a dry box? I remember the humidity will cause fungus to grow. Can I just put it in the bag instead?
    Many of your questions are answered already here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...amera-buy.html
    Do take your time and read through. Does not matter that your are leaning towards Canon, the basics apply to all brands.
    EOS

I like Canon because I don't like Nikon. I once bought a point and shoot Nikon and it spoilt very quickly. I don't have a DSLR before so I want to get one. I was photographic society president because the girls like me, they enjoy my dark room sessions (pls lah, its not what you think).

How long do you think a 600D will last before it dies?
    I'm still using my 450D as a backup. It's from 2008, no problems, prob about 50-60K shutter count.

Quote Originally Posted by 01dsk001

I'm still using my 450D as a backup. It's from 2008, no problems, prob about 50-60K shutter count.
    How many shutter count can a normal DSLR hit before it deteriorates or doesn't perform accdg to spec?
    I am just wondering if 1mil is possible?

How many shutter count can a normal DSLR hit before it deteriorates or doesn't perform accdg to spec?
    I am just wondering if 1mil is possible?
    There are a spec floating around somewhere in the internet. But I don't think the spec is anywhere near 1mil, even if it was a professional DSLR the likes of 1D and D4. However I don't find that limiting because, even if your camera's shutter dies, it would be more than enough, even for heavy users.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Hi Everybody,

Should I buy the Canon 550D or Canon 600D? The package at Alan Photo is about $1000 and for $250 more, I can buy another bigger zoom lens. Which model should I buy and should I buy the additional zoom lens?

Can I have your advice?

Thanks in advance. Have a nice day.
    Hello and welcome! I would say 600D is probably a better choice and if your budget permits you, get the additional zoom lens as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123

There are a spec floating around somewhere in the internet. But I don't think the spec is anywhere near 1mil, even if it was a professional DSLR the likes of 1D and D4. However I don't find that limiting because, even if your camera's shutter dies, it would be more than enough, even for heavy users.
    Hmm.... I clock >1500 shutter count in about 3 weeks. Which averages 500 per week. If the limiting number is 100,000 shutter count, my camera will reach its end of life before 4 years. Scary to think about it. 500,000 shutter count would have given me at least 20 years usage. Haha! I think 10 years is fair. Which for my case would be about 250,000 shutter count.
    Last edited by milez; 1st July 2012 at 04:22 PM.

Actually the camera will not die even if it reaches it's shutter limit, just need to change the shutter and it's good again

Quote Originally Posted by photoart View Post
    Actually the camera will not die even if it reaches it's shutter limit, just need to change the shutter and it's good again
    Yes, and its not fairly expensive. About $120 for my old 30D?
    Philippians 4:13
    Visit my flickr! -------> http://www.flickr.com/photos/77348560@N04/

There is no defined SHUTTER LIMIT. Manufacturers can test their shutter mechanisms to certain numbers -- these are often mentioned in specs like MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) -- look it up if you want. That doesn't mean your camera will stop at or near that number. Some go on 2-3 times (or more!) the MTBF, a few die in the first few exposures (lookup Bathtub Curve too, if you can be bothered), most last somewhere in between.
    When your shutter fails, have it replaced. If you have to replace it after 50,000 exposures (a reasonable MTBF for modern DSLRs), you will hopefully have gained so much experience and skill that you will consider the cost well worth spending. Or just buy a new body.

And in 20 years you'll probably have moved on to new, better, faster etc cameras many times over. The ports, batteries and even memory cards we're using now may no longer be supported! The first digital camera I used (a 1996 Sony) used 3.5" floppy disks -- I don't even have a drive for those anymore.

Stop worrying about minor inconsequential things. Go out and shoot!

Hmm.... I clock >1500 shutter count in about 3 weeks. Which averages 500 per week. If the limiting number is 100,000 shutter count, my camera will reach its end of life before 4 years. Scary to think about it. 500,000 shutter count would have given me at least 20 years usage. Haha! I think 10 years is fair. Which for my case would be about 250,000 shutter count.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast