Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie! I don't have a DSLR? Which camera shall I buy?

Default Re: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie! I don't have a DSLR? Which camera shall I buy?

go TK Foto instead.

Default Re: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie! I don't have a DSLR? Which camera shall I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by vcsh88 View Post
    Is Alan Photo in Funan Centre a good place to buy my camera?
    Look at the price guide for the list of recommended shops.
    Alpha

wonder why TS mentioned Canon and Nikon but no Sony..Pentax..Panasonic...Leica...

is it because friends of his/hers all using one particular brand and just wanna follow the band wagon?

Have seen so many 'newly bought cameras' being sold over at B&S...haha reasons quoting no time for shooting..etc...(why buy in the first place?)

Alamak, you responding to a different thread or what? TS didn't mention Nikon. He explained why he wants Canon (sentimental attachment *sob*), and Kei1309 repeated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinata76 View Post
    wonder why TS mentioned Canon and Nikon but no Sony..Pentax..Panasonic...Leica...

is it because friends of his/hers all using one particular brand and just wanna follow the band wagon?

Have seen so many 'newly bought cameras' being sold over at B&S...haha reasons quoting no time for shooting..etc...(why buy in the first place?)

Can you wait for a while longer before jumping into getting the camera? Maybe you wait for a while longer you can get the newer 650D which is definitely a better camera as compared to the 600D and 550D. (I know the 650D is already out in the market - I think, but you might want to wait for awhile to see if there is any problem with this cameras which I believe people will be happy to do test on).

And maybe after a while, Canon's mirrorless camera would be out too.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Can you wait for a while longer before jumping into getting the camera? Maybe you wait for a while longer you can get the newer 650D which is definitely a better camera as compared to the 600D and 550D.
    is 650D really that much better? I only know the AF is much more improved in video mode and the STM lenses make focusing smoother during video recording..

Think the proper reply to TS should be go read, read, read up the articles in Newbie section first

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hinata76 View Post

shsssss don't tell them... it is good for us...

Quote Originally Posted by lawryyxd View Post
    is 650D really that much better? I only know the AF is much more improved in video mode and the STM lenses make focusing smoother during video recording..
    How much better do you classify as that much better. I only say that it is a better camera because I find that the improvement it had is worth the money
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    How much better do you classify as that much better. I only say that it is a better camera because I find that the improvement it had is worth the money
    Ahh. Sorry for not clarifying. I believe most of the changes are for the video mode. Is there are any major improvements over the 600D when taking stills instead of video?

Ahh. Sorry for not clarifying. I believe most of the changes are for the video mode. Is there are any major improvements over the 600D when taking stills instead of video?
    new DIGIC 5 processor alone is enough for me to get 650D over 600D.. not to mention other new features..
    ~PeaceNoWar~

Also 9 af cross points has made canon 650D a baby 60D. Digic 5 is a good improvement, shall look forward to noise test.

To TS: If your main aim is to take photos of people, landscape then I would not recommend 7D due to its size and also articulating screen might be more useful to you than 8fps and 19 cross af pts. If I am you I will choose between 650D or 60D, not sure what are the main differences because at first glance the specs are similar.

No need to rush into buying many equipments etc, as for flash you see if you use it often before getting one. No hurry right? Shoot more then get additional gear should you deem fit. Is there a 18-70 lens? You might want to invest in additional battery and a dry cabinet to take care of your gear first.

Different people have different ways of picking up photography. What I did was to read lots of books / magazines and go out shoot, practice the theories that was mentioned in the sources. The first set of books I read was Scott Kelby's Digital Photography book 1,2,3 (now there's 4 volume out). Lots of pictures, not too length words good for beginners. After that I moved on to read various articles online, reading magazines such as Practical Photography ( I still do now ) for ideas of things to try.

1) Better AF system (very very important in my opinion)
    2) faster fps (very very important in my opinion)
    3) Touch screen (a good to have)
    4) Faster contrast AF (I would believe with the new processor and hybrid sensor - very important in my opinion when I am shooting at weird angle)
    5) Digic 5 processor

Well the abovementioned points are good enough and value for the increase in price tag (if there is any).
    Last edited by rhino123; 21st June 2012 at 09:36 AM.
    My lousy shots

Well, I can say it is up to you what you want to take first. Once you have the idea, go down and take a look at the camera, feel it. I was like you a few months back. I go to the shop and feel the cameras for myself. Ended up, I get 600D to be my stepping stone cause I'm cheapo. Want to get 550D but saw there is a dry cabinet free with 600D. So get that 600D. heheheheee....
    Last edited by NicoYap; 21st June 2012 at 12:58 PM.

Ah my bad on that comment..too much panadols...can't think straight.
    On my Blacklist. u should blacklist this too.
    9022 9295

Quote Originally Posted by vcsh88 View Post
    Thanks for the reply everybody!! I'll try to answer all.

I choose Canon for sentimental reasons. Long ago, I was president of a photographic society in junior college. I used a Canon AE-1. So I just want to rekindle my hobby of photography.

I don't have a camera now. I would like to take photos of people and nature. The basic package comes with a 18-70mm zoom. Do I need to buy a flash?

How do I go about learning how to take good photos? Join one of your photography outings? Join a society?

Thanks in advance
    No offence but seriously, how did you become the "president of the photographic society in your junior college"?
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    No offence but seriously, how did you become the "president of the photographic society in your junior college"?
    Nobody else applied? He was the only member? He bought everyone kopi?
    Alpha

Frankly... I don't see why TS cannot be a president of the photographic society in Junior College. There are pretty large different between using a film camera to a DSLR and some of the terms we used in DSLR nowadays are not the same as film camera. Plus, the functioning of today's DSLR can be pretty confusing to people that are used to film.

I have quite a number of friends who are only using films up till now and they have some problem over the transition (of course I am not saying everyone would face that problem, but some would), and are we going to questions these peoples on their photography skills?
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    I like Canon because I don't like Nikon. I once bought a point and shoot Nikon and it spoilt very quickly. I don't have a DSLR before so I want to get one. I was photographic society president because the girls like me, they enjoy my dark room sessions (pls lah, its not what you think).

How long do you think a 600D will last before it dies?

Do I need a dry box? I remember the humidity will cause fungus to grow. Can I just put it in the bag instead?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast