Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: When do you critique a photo?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    I give comments for pictures that attract me. Or to point out little niggles like slant horizon, etc. I try my best to comment on pictures by self-professed newbies, male/female. Making the attempt at critique is good, helps both the poster and postee.

    My opinions are usually peppered in the abstracts & landscape galleries and a little in the street and candids because of zaren & khairi. i offer comments freely, so others may offer their own comments for my pictures in return.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    1) I give comment when it is being asked for.

    2) I tried to sound not too harsh. If I can't put the fault across in a nice way, I often do not post comment.

    3) If my post do not contribute to what is already being say, I dun post.

    4) Most importanly, I feel that the poster has put in effort to create that photo.

    That's all , folks!

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xmen2003
    Guess good photos dun get many comments. Your photos must either be lousy or outstanding. Also you need to be popular here.
    not necessarily true...

    i've seen some very good photos here get zero posts for weeks....only for it to be "rediscovered" much later and suddenly receive lots of posts thereafter.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    not necessarily true...

    i've seen some very good photos here get zero posts for weeks....only for it to be "rediscovered" much later and suddenly receive lots of posts thereafter.
    Maybe that guy/gal is not popular.

  5. #25

    Default

    You can see in the photo critique corner , all the popular guy will get all the comments.Even if the picture is average only.


  6. #26

    Default

    mebbe CS can introduce a "blind" photo critique corner, where the names of the posters are withheld. this should remove any "popularity bias" or "halo effect". a bit like blind wine tasting.

  7. #27

    Default

    How about some ppl going around and post on all threads saying that "wow, you got a nice photo here" or " that's great" ...etc without any suggestions to improve nor his/her own thought WHY he/she likes this?

    I think most of you guys here see ppl's post hit thousands within a month even since he/she joins CS, I was always wondering, what he/she had been doing? Then I realise all his/her posts were simply like the example above!

    Questions: DO WE NEED THIS KIND OF COMMENTS?

    Regards

    p/s: I dun normally receive many critiques nor comments here eventhough I "BEG" for it in my thread. Means what? My photos are fantastic? Or I am not welcome here?

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sumball
    How about some ppl going around and post on all threads saying that "wow, you got a nice photo here" or " that's great" ...etc without any suggestions to improve nor his/her own thought WHY he/she likes this?
    ....

    Questions: DO WE NEED THIS KIND OF COMMENTS?
    I believe it is useful. I do this to build a person's confidence.


    Quote Originally Posted by sumball
    p/s: I dun normally receive many critiques nor comments here eventhough I "BEG" for it in my thread. Means what? My photos are fantastic? Or I am not welcome here?
    Where do you post? It's best posting in Newbie's Corner first. From my observations people get more comments in this category. It's much harder to get comments if you post in the galleries because it assumes that the critic must have some level of competency in that field (landscapes, macros, portraits, studio, etc).
    Last edited by Ben1223; 19th January 2005 at 10:55 PM.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben1223
    Where do you post? It's best posting in Newbie's Corner first. From my observations people get more comments in this category. It's much harder to get comments if you post in the galleries because it assumes that the critic must have some level of competency in that field (landscapes, macros, portraits, studio, etc).
    Side track a bit...
    Do the pple here only surf in 1 or a few sub forums, or the whole clubsnap forum as a whole? So does it matter where we post? Of coz need to be in the related sub-forum. Just wondering...

  10. #30
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    i will generally post a reply/critique when i have the time, and it will usually be in the "street and candids" section which interests me most.
    -ditto-

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Side track a bit...
    Do the pple here only surf in 1 or a few sub forums, or the whole clubsnap forum as a whole? So does it matter where we post? Of coz need to be in the related sub-forum. Just wondering...
    i normally surf in several sub-forums.... some sub-forums i've never gone in b4 since i joined CS, like the MF/LF sub-forum for example.

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    i normally surf in several sub-forums.... some sub-forums i've never gone in b4 since i joined CS, like the MF/LF sub-forum for example.
    Dun anyone just click on "New Daily Posts" & see all the threads?

  13. #33

    Default

    To build one's confidence? i.e. deliver the same standard photos in future? without improvement?

    The point of posting here is not to get praises like this is great or what but it is for sharing? Yes, it is SHARING.

    If you like/dislike something, sure you will have the reason(s) for liking or hate it. Just share your thoughts, this is what I think it is important. By sharing, you are not only one sided to keep giving information, at the same time, you are learning and perhaps your theories/understnadings might be wrong? Through sharing, you can verify if you are right and do better the next time.

    My thought.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sumball
    To build one's confidence? i.e. deliver the same standard photos in future? without improvement?

    The point of posting here is not to get praises like this is great or what but it is for sharing? Yes, it is SHARING.

    If you like/dislike something, sure you will have the reason(s) for liking or hate it. Just share your thoughts, this is what I think it is important. By sharing, you are not only one sided to keep giving information, at the same time, you are learning and perhaps your theories/understnadings might be wrong? Through sharing, you can verify if you are right and do better the next time.

    My thought.
    That's pretty conclude why are you not getting many comments here. You need only constructive comments and not encouraging comments. Why must we explain every single coments. To some, certain photos just appeal to their eyes. They dun even know why while others can't express it in words. So these pple have two choices: close the window, or post a constructive comment to show appreciation and acknowledgement.

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xmen2003
    That's pretty conclude why are you not getting many comments here. You need only constructive comments and not encouraging comments.
    I didnt ask for ONLY constructive comments in my thread. I just ask for comments in my thread.

    What I mentioned in my previous posts was for myself, if I am to post, I will try my best to express myself. Anyway, I do post and accept encourage comments like.

  16. #36

    Default

    one day, CS may have its own "simon cowell" of photo critique....

    can CSers take it? without challenging him to show his own photos to prove that he is qualified enuf to give his opinion?


  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    one day, CS may have its own "simon cowell" of photo critique....

    can CSers take it? without challenging him to show his own photos to prove that he is qualified enuf to give his opinion?

    No need a simon cowell of photo critique. It's already been proven that some CSers cannot take it. Can just look back at some hotly debated discussions for examples.

  18. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    No need a simon cowell of photo critique. It's already been proven that some CSers cannot take it. Can just look back at some hotly debated discussions for examples.
    ahh...but there's a big difference. simon cowell, love him or hate him, is widely respected for his assessments/critiques, which are 9/10 spot on. the hotly debated discussions in CS u mention arose becos the critics did not enjoy the same level of respect (grudging or otherwise) that simon cowell commands.


  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    ahh...but there's a big difference. simon cowell, love him or hate him, is widely respected for his assessments/critiques, which are 9/10 spot on. the hotly debated discussions in CS u mention arose becos the critics did not enjoy the same level of respect (grudging or otherwise) that simon cowell commands.

    In that case CS idol doesn't sound that far off from reality then. For the average poster, critique like that will see feathers fly. Regardless of the critic's credentials.

  20. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    In that case CS idol doesn't sound that far off from reality then. For the average poster, critique like that will see feathers fly. Regardless of the critic's credentials.
    simon does say something nice occasionally.... u never know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •