Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Fireworks 27/07/2002

  1. #1

    Default Fireworks 27/07/2002



    Yashica FX3 Super 2000
    Yashica ML 35-70mm f/3.5-4.8
    Kodak Gold 200
    5 sec, f/11 @ 50mm

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Default

    the horizon is slanted and the pic looks a bit out of focus ... could it cause by poor scanning ?
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  4. #4

    Default


    The horizon does look slightly slanted, this can be corrected in PhotoShop.

    I've seen the original print, definately is sharper then seen here, maybe it's due to the scanner Merv used, which happens to be mine.


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Bean

    The horizon does look slightly slanted, this can be corrected in PhotoShop.

    I've seen the original print, definately is sharper then seen here, maybe it's due to the scanner Merv used, which happens to be mine.

    Always apply unsharp masking to scanned images. Scanned images are inherently soft.

    Regards
    CK

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Always apply unsharp masking to scanned images. Scanned images are inherently soft.

    Regards
    CK
    sorry to sound Photoshop dumb, but how do u do that with Ver 7?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by mervlam


    sorry to sound Photoshop dumb, but how do u do that with Ver 7?
    Filter -> Sharpen -> Unsharp Mask.

    But I have not yet mastered playing around with the values.

    Regards
    CK

  8. #8

    Default

    Originally posted by megaweb
    the horizon is slanted and the pic looks a bit out of focus ... could it cause by poor scanning ?
    the horizon does look slanted.. hehehe.. point noted

  9. #9

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Filter -> Sharpen -> Unsharp Mask.

    But I have not yet mastered playing around with the values.

    Regards
    CK
    anyone mastered the Unsharp Mask values?

  10. #10
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Originally posted by mervlam anyone mastered the Unsharp Mask values?
    Setting #1:-
    Amount: 100-150%
    Radius: 0.5
    Threshold: 2-5

    Setting #2
    Amount: 250-400%
    Radius: 0.2 - 0.4
    Threshold: 2-5

    I had been using Setting #1 for a while now, but came across setting #2 on the web, which seems to be giving slightly sharper results without looking overly sharpened with the edge halos.

    The settings above are for pics are destined for the web. For prints, the settings will be vastly different. Experiment to your hearts content.

  11. #11

    Default


    My professor recommended the following setting for Unsharp Mask:

    Amount: 70%
    Radius: 1.6
    Treshold: 1 level

    Prof Shyam comments that the above setting is acceptable for most scanned images.

    Any opinions on the above setting?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •