Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to overcome this

Default how to overcome this

been studying stupid things that i know i wont be using in the future

what to do?

i don't have talent on programming, f*** this!!!
    want to quit school but don't have the courage though T_T

Default Re: how to overcome this

Quote Originally Posted by S2Glow View Post
    o rly ?

On a side note.. its not even 8am now.. fill your mind with more positive thoughts to start your day..

Finish the course first, at least u got a cert on it. Go for those which interest u when u out in work force. I drop out of poly n now, ended up in a normal paid job but i cant quit as i got no cert. Even want to study also hard as i works on shift.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Something I don't understand myself as a programmer. Why is being a programmer looked down upon in SG?
    It's the biggest thing in the Valley right now. And an average programmer holds a salary of ~5-6k USD.

And there is a lack of programmers everywhere!

Remind yourself this....

* don't do well in School - limited chance of getting a well paying Job.
    * don't have a marketable 'Skill' - limited chance of getting a well paying Job.
    * don't do well in School & No Marketable 'Skill' - limited chance of getting a well paying Job or even Migrating Overseas.

Unless you are loaded and need not ever worry about money issue... you'll be lucky if you manage to get a dead end job.

Its your own decision at the end, how you wish your life would end up. So... welcome to the reality of real life...

Scuba & Father... For Life

In Singapore, the practice is such that it's usually the front-end sales people who make the most money. Not the producers (e.g., progammers). Producers are viewed as "farmers"; you produce so that your items can be sold to the next wholesaler, who will sell to the next retailer, who will sell to the consumer. The programmer is at the bottom of the food-chain.

Sellers are viewed as hunters. They hunt for the next sales opportunity. And therefore they get bigger bucks and more respect.

You want more respect? Be a farmer-cum-seller. Sell your own wares.

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    Something I don't understand myself as a programmer. Why is being a programmer looked down upon in SG?
    It's the biggest thing in the Valley right now. And an average programmer holds a salary of ~5-6k USD.

Lack?

Filipinos
    Thais
    Indonesians
    Vietnamese
    Indians
    China

Dude, wait until you step out into the working world. There's more than you think there are!

what to do?

Do what I did - hold on for all 3 years for the diploma, graduate serve NS and take a drastically different course at Uni (I read history) using the dip for advance credit and somehow one way or another, I ended up teaching. Have not touch programming stuff since I left poly and I never looked back.

Treat it as foundation, nowadays everything IT, u neverknow one day if u still inthe field, I am on the shore now but I still need that knowledge so that my contractor cannot smoke me although I my self smoking my bosses as if I know what is going on behind the codes :lol:

Someone once told me that you could look at this way - sometimes the things you go through in school are not meant for direct application later on, but are a way and means of training your mind to think in a certain way, to examine things in a certain light, or just to train it to jump through mental hoops.

If you think about it, remembering the characters in LOTR, remembering what special combo one of the fighters in Street Fighter can execute, all these have even less application in reality...

Cheers.

what i studied is in no way related to what i'm doing now, nor what jobs i've done in the past.

but one thing i've learned over the years is that my experience in the various industries i've worked in gives me an edge over others.

so don't fret

your knowledge will definitely come in useful

I doing what I studied in school, not necessary a good thing also. My course mate change to other industry after graduate and doing better.

Go read more about those tycoons' stories and be more discouraged about studying.
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

guess what? I spent 10 years doing my degree (part time). and most of what I studied is useless to me. but what to do? to progress in my career, i need a degree. else I will not go up the management path (someday).

what to do?

Education is a way of keeping teachers employed.

Whatever you study just remember they need your regular attendance for their livelihood.

That's the only reason you are studying what you are studying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Education is a way of keeping teachers employed.
    and free'ing up some time for the parents who otherwise would have to be looking after them constantly. Perhaps it's a conspiracy at some higher level to make students study (eventhough what they study may not be relevant for their future).
    [This space is available for rent]

That's because we don't have a valley in Singapore.

However the closest to it in Singapore is River Valley.

dun mean to be offensive, but wonder why most of the programmer here dun venture to US ?

Can also say guys going army are pointless since not many will sign up permanent.....however the end product after 2.5 years is you learn how to act blur and geng on the job....smoke people in emergency situation.....so it's still not too bad a thing to protect youself from beng swallow by big gators in a corp world :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se View Post
    dun mean to be offensive, but wonder why most of the programmer here dun venture to US ?
    Because we are not FT....so not welcome :lol:

Seriously.....Not that I want to put down Sprean....my guess are....people are getting impatience, such boring and mundate job are less glamorous comparing to their peers....also I suspect all these grads never do a project on their own in colledge....instead cut and paste from internet...so give them something....none can produce a quality stuff.....also my observation....all just want to be manager...like to arrow other people to do thing....and a member of NATO...all want high pay but can't justify...

Another fact is all my Sporean hired never last more 3 years.....only FT loyal to me....I have someone working as long at 10 years and counting, not that they have no alternative....their kind of skill can land them better paid job anytime....but they stick by the company

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    That's because we don't have a valley in Singapore.

However the closest to it in Singapore is River Valley.

To create a valley you need a Push-up Bra

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast