Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Can an earthquake hit Singapore?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Can an earthquake hit Singapore?

    I (edit) don't know. So far so good. Will excessive deep excavation cause any serious soil mechanics damage that make us vulnerable to quakes? Don't take for granted.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 19th June 2012 at 12:22 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can an earthquake hit Singapore?

    i know Singapore has many Snakes that make me Quake in fear

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Can an earthquake hit Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i know Singapore has many Snakes that make me Quake in fear
    白蛇?


  4. #4
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Can an earthquake hit Singapore?

    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  5. #5

    Default Re: Can an earthquake hit Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    We don't know. So far so good. Will excessive deep excavation cause any serious soil mechanics damage that make us vulnerable to quakes? Don't take for granted.
    No. We have no faultlines. Excavations will not change that. In other words, we DO know. So please don't anyhow claim "we don't know". Maybe if you used "I" instead of "We" it would be accurate.

    We do get mildly impacted from powerful java quakes but that's it.

    FYI, this is well-discussed over and over again in the news whenever there's a quake...
    Last edited by Rashkae; 19th June 2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Alpha

  6. #6

    Default Re: Can an earthquake hit Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    No. We have no faultlines. Excavations will not change that. In other words, we DO know. So please don't anyhow claim "we don't know". Maybe if you used "I" instead of "We" it would be accurate.

    We do get mildly impacted from powerful java quakes but that's it.

    FYI, this is well-discussed over and over again in the news whenever there's a quake...
    Guess Rashkae have answered earlier than I managed to submit my reply
    Because geographically Singapore is not along any fault lines or near the edges of any tectonic plates, the chances of Singapore experiencing direct earthquakes is pretty unlikely. Any groundworks that are done to date, even for deep mining activities are merely scratching the surface of Earth. The deepest mine run at most short of 4km into earth and so nothing compared to up-to 200km deep of the tectonic plates.

    Unless there is any significant geographical changes to the land around us; to ricohflex, you can probably rest in peace for a long time when the time comes Of course, no one, not even the experts, will tell you nothing is impossible. However, I believe the immediate threats we have is global warming, which is already raising the sea level as we knew and is happening NOW. Hence you might wanna be worrying on what is your escape plan via sea route if you decide to stay in Singapore and the sea water rise over your head. kekeke...
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

  7. #7
    Member JohnJon82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lavender
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Can an earthquake hit Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    I (edit) don't know. So far so good. Will excessive deep excavation cause any serious soil mechanics damage that make us vulnerable to quakes? Don't take for granted.
    They know.

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    And the boat shape thing on the 50+ floor is the smaller version of the ark in the 2012 movie
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

  8. #8

    Default Re: Can an earthquake hit Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    They know.



    And the boat shape thing on the 50+ floor is the smaller version of the ark in the 2012 movie
    very soon, the price of BTO flats will increase because HDB will include life boats into the design. they will hang outside the Master Bed room.

  9. #9
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Can an earthquake hit Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    I (edit) don't know. So far so good. Will excessive deep excavation cause any serious soil mechanics damage that make us vulnerable to quakes? Don't take for granted.
    The energy released during the Sumatra–Andaman megathrust earthquake on the 26th December 2004 as a result of a 1,300 km long rupture in the tectonic plate boundary along a subduction zone some 30,000 m below sea level has been estimate to be over 9,600,000 megatons of TNT with a resulting Moment Magnitude Scale (MMS) anywhere between 9.1 to 9.3 and yet it barely had an effect on a large and insignificant mould of hill geographically located approximately somewhere in the middle of a continental shelf known as the Sundaland. ;)

    In comparison, when the 5 megatons yield Cannikin thermonuclear device was detonated as part of Operation Grommet (a series of subterranean nuclear calibration test shots) just 1,860 m below the surface in the Aleutian Island of Amchitka, southwest of Alaska. It released a shock wave with an approximate Moment Magnitude Scale (MMS) of between 6.9 to 7.0 or about 2,818.38293 times weaker going by the arithmetic calculation of ((10**1.5)**9.3)/((10**1.5)**7.0). Though it did leift the ground around it by 6 m and subsequently created a lake some 1.6 km wide. :sweat:

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Most nuclear tests are conducted underground now. Nothing much to see anyway unless you fancy the ultimate camera shake experience. ;p


    YouTube Video ID No. QP6AZIHHIRE


    YouTube Video ID No. S1F6VBIUUT0
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 19th June 2012 at 10:25 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  10. #10
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  11. #11
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    although it is a fact that Singapore does not sits within the quake zone, a major quake nearer our island will have significant impact on our buildings. Most will not fall but I am not sure of their services.

    One thing for sure, with all the glass buildings, do stay far away from buildings if you have the habits of running out whenever there are tremors. Another running thing I am hearing is. People are calling the police and scdf to check if they are safe to stay in their building. Nobody knows the answer, especially if they are miles away from you. Even a structural engineer need time to inspect before he know for sure. You got to make you own judgement whether to leave or stay behind!

  12. #12
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Can an earthquake hit Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    although it is a fact that Singapore does not sits within the quake zone, a major quake nearer our island will have significant impact on our buildings. Most will not fall but I am not sure of their services.

    One thing for sure, with all the glass buildings, do stay far away from buildings if you have the habits of running out whenever there are tremors. Another running thing I am hearing is. People are calling the police and scdf to check if they are safe to stay in their building. Nobody knows the answer, especially if they are miles away from you. Even a structural engineer need time to inspect before he know for sure. You got to make you own judgement whether to leave or stay behind!
    Read that years ago, seismometers are actually implanted into a hundred of so high-rise HDB apartments and commercial skyscrapers in the Central Area for a study to determine if building codes should be further revised by taking into consideration seismic activities.

    From any possible foregone conclusions since then, such a revision may no longer be required if the Building & Construction Authority (BCA) has ascertain that it is not necessary.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 1st July 2012 at 01:54 AM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •