Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 issue

  1. #1

    Default Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 issue

    I was bought Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 three months ago, and had it mounted on my Nikon D90 quite a some time for outdoor daytime shoot. I found the images were too soft when i reviewed it on my PC (photoshop 100% cropped), a lot of noise especially in the shaded area. However i don't believe it until i done a simple testing myself with comparison between the others lenses like Nikon 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 and 50mm f1.8..

    I was shooting a subject with my SB700 flash on camera, ISO 200, shutter speed 1/60sec, f3.5 and f5.6, in variety distance 30cm/40cm/1meter from the object ; i zoom in all the way in to review each pictures after taken and found both nikon lenses worked well in term of sharpness with less noise, but unfortunately the Tokina 11-16mm end up with noise and soft image.

    I didn't believe that but only manage to solve the problem with flash compensation +3EV in term to push the exposure as close as possible to the right of histogram. Does it means Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 works only in sufficient light condition? Anyone of you have this problem also? Anyone can advice?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 issue

    It would be better if you posted some sample images.

    But a lens doesn't contribute noise to the image directly. It could indirectly affect noise by causing underexposure.

    Image softness could be caused by a variety of factors, bad focus being one. Or perhaps you have a lens with a defect.

    I'd suggest you simplify your test by shooting in ambient light, without flash.

  3. #3
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 issue

    The histogram is not meant to be on the right side always and in every situation.
    Please do a systematic test under similar conditions with both lenses, leaving the flash settings equal. Post the pictures with all exif details.
    EOS

  4. #4

    Default

    Sure! Will try to set my camera on my tripod and conduct systematic test later.

  5. #5

    Default

    Done my test with conclusion where tokina

  6. #6

    Default

    1) Has done my test between nikon 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 vs tokina 11-16mm f2.8.

    Set up:
    Tripod
    Aperture: F8
    Iso:200
    Shutter speed: 1/1.6 sec
    Zoom: nikon 18mm; tokina 16mm
    Focus: single focus point

    Result: Conclusion shows tokina has soft images compare to nikon.

    2) Another test has done where tokina zoom at 11mm
    All camera setting remain the same except shutter speed was 1/2.5.

    Result: image shows improvement for sharpness especially bottom edges.

    3) tested different ISO with same camera setting over both lenses.

    Result: same noise level for both lenses.

    Jz wondering how come images taken by tokina 11-16mm will looks softer over nikon 18-105mm? Tokina price is twice for nikon 18-105mm Should I send my tokina lens to it's service center? Will them help to rectify this problem? Jz worry it will become worse after they dismantle the mechanism...anyone can advice??
    Last edited by EngCK; 20th June 2012 at 11:10 PM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EngCK
    Has done my test between nikon 18-105mm f2.8 vs tokina 11-16mm f2.8
    Nikon 18-105 f2.8?

  8. #8
    Member Mythmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Buangkok MRT
    Posts
    1,011

    Default Re: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 issue

    pictures thanks.

  9. #9
    Member kane-rulez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Singapore-
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 issue

    Yes can we see the pictures. as well as if you could upload raw images as well.

    I used the tokina for around 6 months shooting with auto-focus and even though i used them all the time hand held, very rarely did i see images that were not sharp. only diifrence is that i used the two arrows and dot in the viewfinder to guide me with focus confirmation.
    [Nikon-D7000|Manfrotto 055XPROB, Gitzo 275 BH| Nikon-AF 50 f1.4D| Nikon-SB600]

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sicily, Mediterranean Sea
    Posts
    1,805

    Default Re: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 issue

    Quote Originally Posted by EngCK View Post
    I was bought Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 three months ago, and had it mounted on my Nikon D90 quite a some time for outdoor daytime shoot. I found the images were too soft when i reviewed it on my PC (photoshop 100% cropped), a lot of noise especially in the shaded area. However i don't believe it until i done a simple testing myself with comparison between the others lenses like Nikon 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 and 50mm f1.8..

    I was shooting a subject with my SB700 flash on camera, ISO 200, shutter speed 1/60sec, f3.5 and f5.6, in variety distance 30cm/40cm/1meter from the object ; i zoom in all the way in to review each pictures after taken and found both nikon lenses worked well in term of sharpness with less noise, but unfortunately the Tokina 11-16mm end up with noise and soft image.

    I didn't believe that but only manage to solve the problem with flash compensation +3EV in term to push the exposure as close as possible to the right of histogram. Does it means Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 works only in sufficient light condition? Anyone of you have this problem also? Anyone can advice?
    SIMPLE... your tokina is a ULTRA WIDE ANGLE and your flash its not strong enough to cover the whole area hence underexposed compared to the 18-105mm you are using to compare with. hope it make sense...

    please read up before
    picture perfect

  11. #11
    Member kane-rulez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Singapore-
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 issue

    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmycheese View Post
    SIMPLE... your tokina is a ULTRA WIDE ANGLE and your flash its not strong enough to cover the whole area hence underexposed compared to the 18-105mm you are using to compare with. hope it make sense...

    please read up before
    Well he is shooting one meter away from subject and the sb700 is more than capable. "Engck did you use the built in flash diffuser panel of the sb700 it helps with wide angle and macro shots..
    [Nikon-D7000|Manfrotto 055XPROB, Gitzo 275 BH| Nikon-AF 50 f1.4D| Nikon-SB600]

  12. #12

    Default

    I didn't use any refuser but i reflected the flash light through white ceiling with 45deg angle. Whole image was not sharp compare to nikon 18-105.

    Initially I was doubt that the focusing might has problem so I setup my camera at f8 and aim 2m away from my camera, tripod, iso 200, shutter speed 1/8sec in a small rest room so that all the objects remain it's sharpness but it fail to do that. With the same setup my nikon does well!!

    Today I sent it back to Cathay service center for checking, hope they would find something out! Will update again once the result out!

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 issue

    Quote Originally Posted by EngCK View Post
    I didn't use any refuser but i reflected the flash light through white ceiling with 45deg angle. Whole image was not sharp compare to nikon 18-105.

    Initially I was doubt that the focusing might has problem so I setup my camera at f8 and aim 2m away from my camera, tripod, iso 200, shutter speed 1/8sec in a small rest room so that all the objects remain it's sharpness but it fail to do that. With the same setup my nikon does well!!

    Today I sent it back to Cathay service center for checking, hope they would find something out! Will update again once the result out!
    If you want us to see what is the problem, it will be best to attach a picture here with EXIF intact.

  14. #14
    Member Mythmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Buangkok MRT
    Posts
    1,011

    Default Re: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 issue

    Quote Originally Posted by EngCK View Post
    I didn't use any refuser but i reflected the flash light through white ceiling with 45deg angle. Whole image was not sharp compare to nikon 18-105.

    Initially I was doubt that the focusing might has problem so I setup my camera at f8 and aim 2m away from my camera, tripod, iso 200, shutter speed 1/8sec in a small rest room so that all the objects remain it's sharpness but it fail to do that. With the same setup my nikon does well!!

    Today I sent it back to Cathay service center for checking, hope they would find something out! Will update again once the result out!
    45 degree with the object 1m in front of you...?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •