Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Day Shoot

Default Wedding Day Shoot

Preparing to shoot for my brother's wedding day and thinking to shoot quality images with a portrait lens but unfortunately I didn't have any portrait lens. Currently I'm using Nikon D90, can advise where can I have good lens rental services? Any recommendation for wedding portrait lens? Heard nikon 70-200 f2.8 is monster for portrait but notice it is for full frame or any prime lenses would suit for my purpose?

Default Re: Wedding Day Shoot

any lens can shoot wedding,

your kit lens is good enough.

get a lens you are not familiar with to shoot something new to you is a very bad idea.

any lens can shoot portrait,

portrait is not about what you you should use.

70-200f2.8 can use on DX and FX bodies.

there is no all rounded prime lens, unless you only shooting in specify condition.

shooting with a few prime lens on weddings need lots of practise on many wedding assignments, even for a experience photographer.

check out the commercial service section for rental of camera equipments.
    Last edited by catchlights; 18th June 2012 at 09:41 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by EngCK View Post
    Preparing to shoot for my brother's wedding day and thinking to shoot quality images with a portrait lens but unfortunately I didn't have any portrait lens. Currently I'm using Nikon D90, can advise where can I have good lens rental services? Any recommendation for wedding portrait lens? Heard nikon 70-200 f2.8 is monster for portrait but notice it is for full frame or any prime lenses would suit for my purpose?
    Sorry to throw cold water on you.

I hope you don't make the mess out of it.... As you dont seems to have a lot of ideas on photography from what you have post.

I try not to shoot my relatives wedding, but happy to do their couple portrait prior to the wedding day and then enjoy yourself at their wedding. Wedding is a celebration for the couple, and as brother, you can do more to be on his side then taking photos.

I would pay for the photographer of my brother's choice as a gift... Rather then doing it myself...

Good luck anyway.

Hart

as a main or fun shooter???
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

You are right anyway to hire a photographer if we have budget haha..trying to relieve his financial problem and me myself oso hv tight financial problem so I only can became his main photo shooter on that day

17-55 or 24-70 f2.8 is more versatile in my opinion, depending on expectation, nowadays digital camera are very capable, as long as the settings and exposure are right, it can't be that bad, throw in a decency speedlight and u r good to go

Ts, please go read up more about wedding photography!. good luck to you in helping your brother wedding!!

You are right anyway to hire a photographer if we have budget haha..trying to relieve his financial problem and me myself oso hv tight financial problem so I only can became his main photo shooter on that day
    good luck to you. hope u dun ruin his big day.

Quote Originally Posted by EngCK
    I don't think you are prepared. A 70-200 is way too tight for indoor shots, where you are going to shoot the most. A 17-55 or 24-70 would be more useful in such situations.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    I don't think you are prepared. A 70-200 is way too tight for indoor shots, where you are going to shoot the most. A 17-55 or 24-70 would be more useful in such situations.
    actually it depends. if it's a church, a 70-200 is still usable. but if it's a HDB flat, then no.

shooting wedding is not that simple and easy as many people would think,
    asking recommendation of what lenses etc, it is only telling us that you know nothing on these.

anyway, if just for fun and leisure, and since your brother don't put any priority on this, don't know what would he'd missed out, shouldn't have too much expectation on the outcome, than should be fine.

Good luck and enjoy.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

As others have mentioned, there is concern that you may not be up to the task. Even tho your brother may not have high expectations, a wedding is still a wedding and 'once in a lifetime' kind event. Let me repeat that. Once in a Lifetime! What is done, cannot be redone!
    My humble advice is to NOT do this yourself. Instead, try and find a friend who has experience in these things to step in. For a small fee to cover costs if required. That way you are free to enjoy the festivities. Or you can even be the secondary shooter if desired. It may be tempting to question 'how hard can this be?' and do it yourself but if you don't want to end up with a bunch of 'snapshots' from a consumer dslr, get a pro to do it.

Otherwise if you have zero budget and no photographer friends or family, and you are serious about not ending up with high quality snapshots then do some serious reading up. Study the photos you like and how to get them. Join as a secondary shooter at a real wedding or three. A cheap but good portrait lens is the 50mm f/1.8. That should do you nicely. How far along is the wedding?
    5Dmk2 600D Sig35f1.4 Sig50f1.4 85f1.8 SY14f2.8 18200 Tam1750f2.8 580EX2 Oly EP3 14-42X 40-150 20f1.7

Hi Electron,

Thanks for advices, actually his wedding is only a month later. Will consider to hire a photographer if financially allow, but however I will try to get more shoots at that moment. Maybe it helps to improve my skill, will try to read more online about wedding shoot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EngCK
    Hi Electron,

Thanks for advices, actually his wedding is only a month later. Will consider to hire a photographer if financially allow, but however I will try to get more shoots at that moment. Maybe it helps to improve my skill, will try to read more online about wedding shoot as well.
    You can try renting a 24-70mm f2.8 for the occasion if no money for event photographer. A prime might be too restrictive if you're not used to it.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Thanks for your advice everyone! will try my best..

Hi Electron,

get familar with the sequence of how a AD is like. so u know where to grab your shots.

Any modern dslr with kit lens will do fine la... Serious....

I shot with an old oly e520 with a 35mm 3.5 in jpeg and pop up flash some more (i do this only because conditions allow me to get by with it). Still come out with prints that i and most importantly the client is happy with. Just make sure ur flash wont be blocked by your lens and knw where ur camera can shoot and cannot shoot.

Know what it can do and you can then learn to know what to expect from the camera. Like that you wont get disappointed with ur shots. All the best!

We get this type of threads every month!

I don't get it.

Wedding photography prices had been driven down so cheaply that for a mere $500 to $600 you can get decent traditional coverage done.

Heck! Nowadays there are already budget WPJA and budget WPPI Fine Art wedding photography is it really so hard to afford wedding photography?

Where are people getting married at lately? Neighbourhood kopitiam or hawker centre?

Come on man stop kidding me! Even the most humble weddings in small restaurants or just small ROM affairs of 20-30 guests can afford wedding photography.

Let me be the bad guy and say that people who want to shoot their relative wedding most probably wanted to play their hobby and pretend to be wedding photographer.

Don't play with people's wedding photography needs. It will always be there to remind.

Well you do have D90 + 11-16mm + 18-135mm + 50mm + SB700 despite the financial problem you afforded a photography hobby, which is not a cheap hobby actually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast