Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thaipusam

Default Thaipusam

Just FYI......Thaipusam is on 25th Jan'05. Tuesday. Have fun for those who going for shooting.

thanks for the information, and can give some hint on when is the best time for shooting.

Default Thaipusam

In the past, I have played hookey from work and gone down to Serangoon Road in the afternoon about 1pm. The past few years I had the worst luck and had some conflict always on that exact day.

Thaipusam 2005

I was looking at the website with the Thaipusam info and was wondering which parts of the procession is open to the public. I don't want to go to early as 7am to catch the Head Shaving part only to be told that it is not for the public to view or take pictures. Does anyone have ideas?

u can try to call HEB (hindu endowment board), the CEO is a very friendly guy. mention that u wanna take photos, he may give advise like what time, and place to be

Default Friendly

I have been to (2) Thaipusams and found the people very friendly. Several times, I was invited into the staging area to watch/photograph the piercing.

Dunno about the headshaving, though. Just follow the rules.... shoes, etc.

so is the shooting in the morning, afternoon or night?
    want to go and need some scheduling....

thanks
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

Default Timing

The participants walk the four kilometres from the Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple on Serangoon Road to the Sri Thandayuthapani Temple on Tank Road. The Kavadis staging is done at the Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple and the de-staging is done at the Sri Thandayuthapani Temple. Both temples offer interesting photographic opportunities.

The procession of Kavadis starts exiting Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple at 12:05am and ends at 6:00pm on Jan. 25th. So you have plenty of time. Be respectful... this is about religion, keep your distance and smile alot.

Quote Originally Posted by erictan8888
    so is the shooting in the morning, afternoon or night?
    want to go and need some scheduling....

thanks

Oh no I got school. >.<

Oh no I got NS
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Good lighting at the Serangoon temple should be in the morning. Used to go there at 9am. After that, move on the road with them. Good high angle is Selegie Road overhead bridge next to Selegie Arts centre. The poccession walk under the bridge. Afternoon will reach Tank Road Temple for the afternoon light.

Be prepared to do a lot of walking. Those carrying kavadi walks only once, photogs walk up and down a many times.

Travel light, with only the equipment you need. I prefer a super wide for shots yp close and a tele (80-200) to close in on the facal exapression. Plus a flash, a monopod and batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Oh no I got NS
    take ur xmas and new year off lar ... i taking off o 24 and 25 jan.

shiok shiok ....

i will be there on 24 evening and 25 afternoon to evening.

aAnd I need to work work work!!!

Anyone going?

I MIGHT be going. Lacking equipment though.

Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    I MIGHT be going. Lacking equipment though.
    usually a tele zoom should be enuff for the event rite? shoot from a distance.... what else? thinking of shooting from afar... heehee

Default i will go wanna meet somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa
    Anyone going?
    i will go wanna meet somewhere?

I will be going tonight but too little information on the event.
    Where to meet?

any idea where they will passby?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast