Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartments?

  1. #1

    Default Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartments?

    Also just to check for SIA, these cases even if meet carry on criteria is there a chance they would be considered as "large" luggage and need to be check in?
    Last edited by Reportage; 18th June 2012 at 07:04 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  2. #2
    Member Kenneth67C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Shanghai, China, China
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    Did you get an answer on that question?
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    so heavy. of course if meet the carry on criteria u have to check in.

    the luggage alone is already 6+kg

  4. #4
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth
    so heavy. of course if meet the carry on criteria u have to check in.

    the luggage alone is already 6+kg
    Plus the case is so distinctive the counter staff one look sure know over the carryon weight limit. I had to empty out my 1510 case to get on my flight...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    It meets international carry on size standards.

    It does not meet weight standard. BUT even with other photo roller bags, they also do not meet the weight standard after loading up with gear.

    If it looks nondescript, it won't attract trouble.

    If it attracted attention but it looks light and small, it also won't attract trouble. If you are a big sized guy, it will look small beside you. If you are small boy size, its going to look huge. Think "Lobster bigger than small girl" Strange Seafood restaurant advertisement years ago.

    Also probably a good idea to remove those Pelican words stickers.

    The only plus point is that if they force you to check it in, you at least knows its a hard case and your gear won't be crushed when they throw other bags on it. But if they throw it, it might still be ok if you pack in a way that gear does not jerk around inside.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    It meets international carry on size standards.

    It does not meet weight standard. BUT even with other photo roller bags, they also do not meet the weight standard after loading up with gear.

    If it looks nondescript, it won't attract trouble.

    If it attracted attention but it looks light and small, it also won't attract trouble. If you are a big sized guy, it will look small beside you. If you are small boy size, its going to look huge. Think "Lobster bigger than small girl" Strange Seafood restaurant advertisement years ago.

    Also probably a good idea to remove those Pelican words stickers.

    The only plus point is that if they force you to check it in, you at least knows its a hard case and your gear won't be crushed when they throw other bags on it. But if they throw it, it might still be ok if you pack in a way that gear does not jerk around inside.
    dun check in if using dividers. lol

    sponge inserts pls. but u should be pro enough to know.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    dun check in if using dividers. lol

    sponge inserts pls. but u should be pro enough to know.
    Sponge insert cannot put a lot of gear. If you are traveling you will have clothes with you so squeeze in another T shirt or towel to make it snuggier, or socks around your lenses!
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    Just brought mine to Jakarta and came back, no check in and surely more than 10kg.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    Can anybody tell me where is a good place in Singapore to buy a Pelican 1510 case. Has anybody tried using it as a carry-on flying on a budget airline? Thanks

  10. #10
    Member Deyeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    Quote Originally Posted by nkteong View Post
    Can anybody tell me where is a good place in Singapore to buy a Pelican 1510 case. Has anybody tried using it as a carry-on flying on a budget airline? Thanks
    Marvid International Pte Ltd is the exclusive distributor for Pelican Products.

    I was looking at getting either the 1510 or the ThinkTank Airport Commuter but chose the latter.

    While the 1510 was nice and rugged, have had another pelican for 20 years to transport my firearms when away shooting, they do attract attention.

    A friend whom goes offshore alot with sensitive electronics, uses a 1510 and has had trouble on some airlines especially smaller planes A319/320 Boeing 737 etc getting it into the overhead lockers. Some planes slightly vary in dimensions. So hes always had to check it in. Empty its 6kg so you are on the limit.

    The ThinkTank, I find very versatile, will fit into any overhead locker, AirAsia, Lion Air, plus all the other major Airlines, in the 3 years I have this bag, have had no problems at checkin, never been asked to have it weighted, normally with all my camera gear plus laptop, its over 10KG's but fits in the overhead lockers.

    Cheers ....
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    Thanks for your comments Deyeno,
    The last thing you want is to attract attention to your luggage. I prefer something that doesn't say "rob me". Cheers

  12. #12
    Member Kenneth67C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Shanghai, China, China
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    Quote Originally Posted by nkteong View Post
    Thanks for your comments Deyeno,
    The last thing you want is to attract attention to your luggage. I prefer something that doesn't say "rob me". Cheers
    I don't agree that the 1510 says "rob me" since its black, butt ugly.
    If you are using a Rimowa on the other hand...
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

  13. #13

    Default

    When someone is desperate, it doesn't matter if you're wearing giordanos or True Religion Jeans.

    They'll still rob you

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    I use the HPRC 2550W. It is less army like.

    For commercial and less attention... on flights do think of Think Tank Airport International.
    心到,眼到,手到。
    genone3, Flickr

  15. #15
    Member leowyien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    859

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    dun check in if using dividers. lol

    sponge inserts pls. but u should be pro enough to know.
    The dividers with lens cases worked as enough protection for check in
    indie

  16. #16

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    Honestly I never let my camera in the luggage better handcarry with small camera bag due to worry



  17. #17

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    Quote Originally Posted by leowyien View Post
    The dividers with lens cases worked as enough protection for check in
    Risky.

    They throw your box and it lands with a Phomm!

    Pelican box is of course ok, but the gear inside takes a nasty jerk if the cushioning inside not enough.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    So far I never have any problem with a fully loaded Crumpler Brazillion bag. It is usually packed with 2 DSLR bodies, 1 medium format film body with 1 lens, 2 DSLR zoom lenses, 1 DSLR prime lens and a laptop. BUT.... it is freaking heavy to carry it around!!!

    Therefore I am seriously considering the Thinktank international... looks like a small handcarry baggage.

    Pelican case always reads "heavy" and "valuable" no matter how beat up it is. lol else why you want to pack your stuff in a Pelican?

    SIA only allows 7KG maximum for handcarry for all their flights.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme


  20. #20
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartme

    The thing about roller bags is that they all weigh in around 4+ kg empty. So if you are really pressed for the weight limit, you are also pressed against a wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •