Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 112

Thread: creative respond to ipod shuffle

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    thats how successful marketing works actually
    true, so sad......

    hmmm, wonder what the response would be like if an ah-seng brand came out with a similar designed product & the same marketing strategy (read 'excuse')???
    Last edited by zorro18; 14th January 2005 at 05:15 PM.

  2. #42
    Moderator chngpe01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,863
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zorro18
    agree, agree......

    the ipod is kool but the shuffle?
    It's just marketing hype to psycho gullible pple out there why the shuffle doesnt need lcd screen, fm tuner etc....

    the truth is that if they were to include all these features then it makes them no different from the OEM/China-made flash players.

    This is the ultimate marketing con!
    The biggest con would be that ppl get con even without even realising it.

    If you look at the Zen and the ipod mini for eg. You will see clearly the material that make the Zen micro consist of cheapo plastics whereas the ipod mini casing is made out of a single piece of colored aluminum which undergo a few milling process etc. It is the engineering and thoughts and design that goes into the product. Fact: the ipod mini cost very much more to produce than a zen micro. Facts Zen Micro is priced more than ipod mini. So who is being conned? I for one would not want to be conned into paying more for a cheapo product.

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01
    The biggest con would be that ppl get con even without even realising it.

    If you look at the Zen and the ipod mini for eg. You will see clearly the material that make the Zen micro consist of cheapo plastics whereas the ipod mini casing is made out of a single piece of colored aluminum which undergo a few milling process etc. It is the engineering and thoughts and design that goes into the product. Fact: the ipod mini cost very much more to produce than a zen micro. Facts Zen Micro cost more than ipod mini. So who is being conned? I for one would not want to be conned into paying more for a cheapo product.
    I agree the fact that Zen Micro use cheapo plastics!
    Next time they should come out with machined brass casing with scratch-proof glass to go head to head with Apple!

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kho King
    anyone watch the TV news last night? there is a short interview with Creative spokeman (or CEO?) on their respond and view to the new Ipod shuffle.

    when asked about what he (the spokeman) thinks of the new ipod shuffle to fight with Creative product market, he said:"the ipod flash (should be shuffle) was a complete joke, they are producing what we (Creative) already have in our 1st generation product, which is 4 years ago, what a joke...".

    I personally feel that that guy is just too ego and louzy...
    This is a typical Kiasu singaporean style. Furthermore, most of the time creative never really came out with his is own product ideas. Even his very first Nomad was "stolen" from Samsung...
    Last edited by hagenuk; 14th January 2005 at 05:38 PM.

  5. #45

    Default

    If I were Mr.Sim, I think I'd say that I welcome another challenge from Apple. After all, it's lonely to be at the top right?

    I felt that calling the competitor's new product a joke is just poor PR. First, you risk sounding egoistic and ignorant (alienating your supporters), and second you risk offending Apple supporters (the very people he wanted to win over). And of course, saying that Apple's copying a product he had 4 years ago is dangerous... especially if the Shuffle becomes an overwhelming success and it becomes a slap to his own face.

    I've much admiration for Mr.Sim and his ability to build up Creative to what it is today. But to pretend that Apple is a challenger he can overcome overnight sounds ridiculous to observers. I agree that he should focus more on designs and marketing - afterall, not everyone can discern the differences in sound reproduction (especially for poorly ripped MP3 files), but everyone can see good design. Continue working on his great projects, but please let good designers and marketing teams handle the rest! I don't know what's going on in Creative right now, but I do suspect Mr. Sim has his hands in everything and talented individuals may be afraid to oppose his ideas. So if Mr.Sim is reading this, please... let the talented people in marketing and design do their jobs...

    As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side. I own a iPod, and it is so darn cool. But I wish I had bought a Zen Touch instead. Why? Other than the fact that it's a local product, the Zen has much better battery life than my iPod (yes, I updated the firmware and the battery still sucks). Apple may have the coolest design, but it lacked the most basic and sensible function that the Zen has: user-replaceable batteries.

    Today, Creative is behind Apple in the MP3 war, but it is still the closest challenger. As a Singaporean, I'm proud of that fact. It may take years to dethrone the king, but the fact that he's challenging Apple and not giving up without a fight is admirable. So way to go... keep up the efforts and listen to your customers...

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    474

    Default

    am neither creative nor apple camp but i do agree that the zen micro looks cheap. I own an ipod mini btw....
    in fact the simplicity of the ipod-mini design looks more zen-like than creative's.
    i was really to switch camp b4 the zen-micro was released but when I held it, the feeling was like urghhhhhhhh.....somehow the colors r so damn beng....
    the designers hv taken mr sim for a ride (they could be apple's spies out to sabo ah sim ). they shld be fired.

    As for the ipod-shuffle, it was really a disappointment IMHO.
    I wld expect stevie to hv something up his sleeves but this time was an anti-climax.
    yes, the mac-mini is really cool...drool, drool, drool

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zorro18
    am neither creative nor apple camp but i do agree that the zen micro looks cheap. I own an ipod mini btw....
    in fact the simplicity of the ipod-mini design looks more zen-like than creative's.
    i was really to switch camp b4 the zen-micro was released but when I held it, the feeling was like urghhhhhhhh.....somehow the colors r so damn beng....
    the designers hv taken mr sim for a ride (they could be apple's spies out to sabo ah sim ). they shld be fired.

    As for the ipod-shuffle, it was really a disappointment IMHO.
    I wld expect stevie to hv something up his sleeves but this time was an anti-climax.
    yes, the mac-mini is really cool...drool, drool, drool
    hey! how can you say you not in either camp? you own an ipod mini and drooling over a mac mini. come come...you are definitely in the apple camp and the ipod shuffle will grow on you...slowly...gradually

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    thats how successful marketing works actually
    agree with you madmacs. whether it's iPod Shuffle or not.....APPLE/MACs rules! Own a Mac, always a Mac fan. Well look at this way, if this was another brand by Sony, Toshiba or XXX brands....I don't thing someone whould have notice about it.

    We talk about it because it's a MAC! Haha...

  9. #49
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01
    The biggest con would be that ppl get con even without even realising it.

    If you look at the Zen and the ipod mini for eg. You will see clearly the material that make the Zen micro consist of cheapo plastics whereas the ipod mini casing is made out of a single piece of colored aluminum which undergo a few milling process etc. It is the engineering and thoughts and design that goes into the product. Fact: the ipod mini cost very much more to produce than a zen micro. Facts Zen Micro is priced more than ipod mini. So who is being conned? I for one would not want to be conned into paying more for a cheapo product.
    You forgot to mention that zen have one more gig than the mini, fm tuner, line in recording etc, that's why it cost more.....

  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    agree with you madmacs. whether it's iPod Shuffle or not.....APPLE/MACs rules! Own a Mac, always a Mac fan. Well look at this way, if this was another brand by Sony, Toshiba or XXX brands....I don't thing someone whould have notice about it.

    We talk about it because it's a MAC! Haha...
    hey back from your trip already?

    actually everyone keeps pitting apple against creative, but i dont really see creative as a real competitor at the moment - at least not till sim puts his creative thinking hat back on the one i am more wary of is sony. if you look at the vaio range and the upcoming music/media players, they put a lot of thought of into their design. lets see what the future hold

  11. #51
    Moderator chngpe01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,863
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    You forgot to mention that zen have one more gig than the mini, fm tuner, line in recording etc, that's why it cost more.....
    You miss the point, believe it or not the fact is that the manufacturing costs of the zen micro is still lower than the ipod mini. Those gimmicks you mentioned try to give the impression that it should cost more. Little extras esp electronic parts are cheap in the manufacturing process. In this case of the two MP3 players the more expensive part are not the electronics but the material for the packaging of the electronics. Again, I wouldn't want to pay premium for a cheapo product.

  12. #52
    Moderator chngpe01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,863
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    hey back from your trip already?

    actually everyone keeps pitting apple against creative, but i dont really see creative as a real competitor at the moment - at least not till sim puts his creative thinking hat back on the one i am more wary of is sony. if you look at the vaio range and the upcoming music/media players, they put a lot of thought of into their design. lets see what the future hold
    Agree, you are right on the dot.

    The President of Sony was invited by Steve to SF Macworld Expo for a good reason.

    'Kunitake Ando, president of electronics giant Sony, joined Jobs onstage to promote the HD push, including a new Sony HD camcorder. "Steve said he is a great fan of Sony products--not all of them," said Ando, whose company competes with Apple in markets such as PCs and portable music players. "Together, we can really revolutionize the way we enjoy video at home." ' - extracted from cnet News.com dated 11 Jan 2005.

  13. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths
    Creative Muvo TX FM 256mb at $179 vs Apple iPod Shuffle 512mb $178

    Which 1 will u choose?
    Creative Muvo TX FM come with FM radio , recorder and MP3
    Apple iPod Shuffle only MP3..
    how to compare..

  14. #54

    Default

    Hmm... after read all the comment about creative vs apple
    what i think is:

    Apple products is for designers and stylish people
    Creative products is for technical and budget people

    well it depends how u look from any angle on this 2 company... Just look at how the market they products and the advertising of their products... I do think people will take Apple products 1st then our local products...
    Favouritism | Design + Lifestyle + Art

  15. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01
    Agree, you are right on the dot.

    The President of Sony was invited by Steve to SF Macworld Expo for a good reason.

    'Kunitake Ando, president of electronics giant Sony, joined Jobs onstage to promote the HD push, including a new Sony HD camcorder. "Steve said he is a great fan of Sony products--not all of them," said Ando, whose company competes with Apple in markets such as PCs and portable music players. "Together, we can really revolutionize the way we enjoy video at home." ' - extracted from cnet News.com dated 11 Jan 2005.
    Sony more steady ma....
    For Mr Sim, not very steady le...his comments are a sign for his jealousy over Ipod's success!!!

  16. #56

    Default

    remember many people bought the muvo and disassemble the microdrive to use it.

  17. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbeng
    remember many people bought the muvo and disassemble the microdrive to use it.
    that's the reason why creative sale so high, not because of the muvo itself, but the microdrive behind...and yet Mr. Sim so proud and ego...
    DR KOH KHO KING

  18. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kho King
    that's the reason why creative sale so high, not because of the muvo itself, but the microdrive behind...and yet Mr. Sim so proud and ego...
    no seagate microdrives, no ah sim's ego .

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    If I were Mr.Sim, I think I'd say that I welcome another challenge from Apple. After all, it's lonely to be at the top right?

    I felt that calling the competitor's new product a joke is just poor PR. First, you risk sounding egoistic and ignorant (alienating your supporters), and second you risk offending Apple supporters (the very people he wanted to win over). And of course, saying that Apple's copying a product he had 4 years ago is dangerous... especially if the Shuffle becomes an overwhelming success and it becomes a slap to his own face.

    I've much admiration for Mr.Sim and his ability to build up Creative to what it is today. But to pretend that Apple is a challenger he can overcome overnight sounds ridiculous to observers. I agree that he should focus more on designs and marketing - afterall, not everyone can discern the differences in sound reproduction (especially for poorly ripped MP3 files), but everyone can see good design. Continue working on his great projects, but please let good designers and marketing teams handle the rest! I don't know what's going on in Creative right now, but I do suspect Mr. Sim has his hands in everything and talented individuals may be afraid to oppose his ideas. So if Mr.Sim is reading this, please... let the talented people in marketing and design do their jobs...
    U should print out and sent a letter address to him.
    I don't think he got the time to read Clubsnap.
    And I don't think any of his staff dare to print this out for him to read.
    May be had.. who knows...

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Thomson
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by therat
    Creative Muvo TX FM come with FM radio , recorder and MP3
    Apple iPod Shuffle only MP3..
    how to compare..
    Having more features doesn't necessary mean better value. The FM and voice recorder may not work well so having them may not be useful - why pay for something that is not useful? Also, good design and ease of use is very important.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •