Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    hehehe ..... you are the one that has not learned the basics of NT ..... DOS support and no DOS support is no issue. It is build based on old CP/M idea with "Network" idea built into it, it is still a monokernel which has everything lumped together. Meaning if you alter one part of the program, the other 10 millions code will be affected (ok, I maybe over blown in this, but it does affect other codes), the advantage is on Monokernel, everything is integrated thus ease of use and "integration of peripherial code", but the downside is unless the original kernel is already flawless updating it is a killer ..... Security or rather network security was not part of the design idea, thus it has lots and lots of network security flaws which is not found in Unix.

Security was never the focus of Microsoft on OS, ease of use, easy graphical maintenance are. Until recently, which lots and lots of hiccups and lots and lots of cans of worm on Microsoft OS were opened, was then Longhorn was announced to address this issue.

bla bla bla ....... .....
    Wow you brought in the age old discussion of monolithic vs microkernel system! Ever since Windows NT,it is more like a hybrid, definitely not monolithic. I won't go into there because it can become a thesis.

If you google a bit, "security push" and "microsoft", you can tell that there have been several initiatives over the years to push security issues on all fronts. Whether they have been successful or not, again, it's a big debatable issue.

The main difference is that the unix users are definately more competent computer users so they know how to solve problems better. Recompiling kernels are parts and parcel of unix administration and definitely not as "easy" as windowsupdate.

Just to put in my 2 cents worth here, Mac uses the Motorola architecture which is more secure and stable by design. It has offered many hardware security protection such as the 'protected memory' long ago, which was just 'adopted' by Win XP SP2 recently. (win xp had this mode long ago but was not strictly enforced. It's like having a lock to a door but not using it)

So why did a better system not take off but a not so perfect system like the PC took off? It was just some history (this branded university adopted IBM's structure becos Mac's services sort of 'pissed' them off) and wrong marketing strategy. It's the same as why the video system betamax (if anyone remember what this is) which offered higher resolutiond and smaller tapes did not take off against the bigger and lower quality VHS system which we are all familiar with.

Mac but I'm still running Windows..ahhahah
    I'm just a typical consumer
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic
    if you think $928 is cheap, try going SLS to see how much that $450 ( or even lower) can get you a PC that runs windows. (w/o windows of coz )
    Yeah man! PC is so much cheaper man!

Actually it has installed itself into my computer.

Autoupdate installed something called a Malicious Software Removal Tool yesterday.

Can't wait till the day a disgruntled Microsoft employee autoupdates all the computers in the world with something called Remove All Software and Data.

Here's the Tool:

Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2005 (KB890830)

This tool checks your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any variants found. You should also use an antivirus product to remove other malicious software that may be present. This tool helps maintain your computer, and its appearance does not indicate that your machine is infected with malicious software. After you run this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    Last edited by StreetShooter; 13th January 2005 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic
    Wow you brought in the age old discussion of monolithic vs microkernel system! Ever since Windows NT,it is more like a hybrid, definitely not monolithic. I won't go into there because it can become a thesis.

If you google a bit, "security push" and "microsoft", you can tell that there have been several initiatives over the years to push security issues on all fronts. Whether they have been successful or not, again, it's a big debatable issue.

The main difference is that the unix users are definately more competent computer users so they know how to solve problems better. Recompiling kernels are parts and parcel of unix administration and definitely not as "easy" as windowsupdate.
    It is a thesis alright .... I had wrote one for that ..... Damm OS thesis in Uni ;P ..... Anyway, the "Security push" was there to patch things that was never designed in it, if it was like unixes there will be less things to patch .... there are certain part that can never be successful as there are some bugs that requires the whole system to be redesigned, try to look for it in the net, not for me to say which part ;D. However, in full essence, Windows NT is still monolithic, I would not go as far as a hybid since only external drivers are separated.

Unix users may not be more competent computer users as most people think, in fact a survery (done by yours truly) shows in actual fact, they are just common operator like Windows users especially with the standardisation of X-Window, it looks similar to Windows Enviroment and Even Apple Window Enviroment (Which esstenially is X-Window). Recompiling or rather updating Kernels codes are job of the System administrator and they are trained to do it properly. Similarly, you give a Windows system to a Unix User, the answer will be .... huh? Simi gui? ;P .... BTW, there are "Windowsupdate" style on more advanced Unixs ..... infact Linux Based unix like SuSe Linux has the same Windowsupdate style updates that requires almost no user intervention.

this beta will expired in 200 days, after tat will this prog be a free one ?

Quote Originally Posted by West_ray
    After 200 days, this beta becomes a spyware itself???

Quote Originally Posted by West_ray
    I have this bad feeling it will not be unfortunately. However, I hope that it will be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12