Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: Your personal selection : Ballhead

  1. #1
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Cool Your personal selection : Ballhead

    I am considering getting a good ballhead which can support the load weight of a DSLR camera & telephoto lense/flash; and also good precise movement that would be easy to handle when shifting around.

    There are a lot of good balhead in the market and all seems equally good.
    This topics have already been discuss before and I have do some search on it, but I hope to get more information from users experience after their usage of ballhead for sometimes.

    Somehow, I would like to see individual's point of view; why they choose X brand over Y brand; their selection and requirement for getting what they needs and wants.

    Kindly consolidate an updated list here. Thanks for comments and advise.

    Brand, Model, Why you choose this product?
    0. Manfrotto, 322RC2, Because it is light, move faster or etc........(Example format)
    1.
    2.
    3.
    4.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  2. #2
    Senior Member icarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    Brand, Model, Why you choose this product?
    1. Icarus - Manfrotto 322RC2 - Pistol action grip allows super quick adjustments, Able to customize for left and right hand use. Able to convert to a vertical 222RC2. Able to take my Bigma + Flash (see my avatar)
    2.
    3.
    4.
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tiger
    I am considering getting a good ballhead which can support the load weight of a DSLR camera & telephoto lense/flash; and also good precise movement that would be easy to handle when shifting around.

    There are a lot of good balhead in the market and all seems equally good.
    This topics have already been discuss before and I have do some search on it, but I hope to get more information from users experience after their usage of ballhead for sometimes.

    Somehow, I would like to see individual's point of view; why they choose X brand over Y brand; their selection and requirement for getting what they needs and wants.

    Kindly consolidate an updated list here. Thanks for comments and advise.

    Brand, Model, Why you choose this product?
    0. Manfrotto, 322RC2, Because it is light, move faster or etc........(Example format)
    1.AcraTech Ultimate ballhead,becoz it is very unique and support heavy load up to my LF cam .if given the choice again,i will get the Arca Swiss B1.

    2.
    3.
    4.
    AcraTech Ultimate ballhead,becoz it is very unique and support heavy load up to my LF cam .
    But if given the choice again,i will pay abit more and get the Arca Swiss B1.
    AUB design needs some getting used to,especially when shooting vertically,have to turn the panning knob to make way for the leaning angle,abit troublesome but still works well.

    my frd AS B1 is very solid got the progressive movements to prevent the load to slap down suddenly.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    i also thinking about getting another ballhead as i feel my current setup very flimsy....those with the pistolgrip better?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Brand, Model, Why you choose this product?
    1. Icarus - Manfrotto 322RC2 - Pistol action grip allows super quick adjustments, Able to customize for left and right hand use. Able to convert to a vertical 222RC2. Able to take my Bigma + Flash (see my avatar)
    2.
    3.
    4.
    sorry..i OT a little bit....what's a bigma and small ma?have you had bad experience for yr manfrotto 322rc2?

  6. #6
    Senior Member icarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonsiao
    have you had bad experience for yr manfrotto 322rc2?
    Yeab, i tried the 322RC2 on my monopod once... the whole damn thing looks like an ah-pek's walking stick! Otherwise, the 322RC2 works perfectly on my 055... no creeping at all even with my Bigma.

    like the bros here who advised me, just bring ur heaviest lens and body down to the shop and try the ballheads there!
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Yeab, i tried the 322RC2 on my monopod once... the whole damn thing looks like an ah-pek's walking stick! Otherwise, the 322RC2 works perfectly on my 055... no creeping at all even with my Bigma.

    like the bros here who advised me, just bring ur heaviest lens and body down to the shop and try the ballheads there!
    should have taken friends' advice and buy 1 time good good tripod....now have to hunt.......started of with just D70 + kit lens...

  8. #8
    Senior Member icarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonsiao
    should have taken friends' advice and buy 1 time good good tripod....now have to hunt.......started of with just D70 + kit lens...
    Are u planning to get any telephoto lenses in future? if no, then get a normal compact tripod will do liao... i am having problems carrying the stupid 055+322rc2 around... cos its quite heavy ...
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

  9. #9
    Member Adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Small island....
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    Can't afford it. But if I had the money, I would buy:

    - Really Right Stuff RSS Ballhead BH-55 LR
    http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/ballheads/index.html

    - Really Right Stuff D70 L plate BD70-L
    http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/body...kon/index.html

    - Really Right Stuff 70-200mm VR lens plate LCF-10
    http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/lens...cus/index.html

    It's really pricey.... as I said, only when I can afford it...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Yeab, i tried the 322RC2 on my monopod once... the whole damn thing looks like an ah-pek's walking stick! Otherwise, the 322RC2 works perfectly on my 055... no creeping at all even with my Bigma.

    like the bros here who advised me, just bring ur heaviest lens and body down to the shop and try the ballheads there!
    strange... my D7D with Vertical grip and just a 17-35 already make the 322rc2 slip liao... by removing the vertical grip would help ease the problem...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  11. #11

    Default

    Since you will be getting a CF tripod, i guess must consider M10 (great value) and the lightweight likes like AUB or B1 liao. Else it's like walking 3 steps front and 2.5 steps back.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Are u planning to get any telephoto lenses in future? if no, then get a normal compact tripod will do liao... i am having problems carrying the stupid 055+322rc2 around... cos its quite heavy ...
    already got problem...using the manfrotto 190b but normal head...when i use 70-200 with D70,feels like head going to snap off....scare...

  13. #13
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Consider the Markins M-10 dude.

  14. #14
    Senior Member icarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    strange... my D7D with Vertical grip and just a 17-35 already make the 322rc2 slip liao... by removing the vertical grip would help ease the problem...
    OMG, how heavy is your setup? My heaviest weight is about 3-4kg like that. Have u adjusted the 'friction' thingy on the handle?
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

  15. #15

    Default

    Markins M-10. I will never need to buy another ballhead again.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,881

    Default

    KT go for the Markin M10.
    Want to test

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    upp east coast road
    Posts
    482

    Default

    I am also getting the M10 soon...

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    I use 3 main heads:

    Graf Studioball
    An improved clone of the original Arca ballhead. Features a full bearing race on the panning axis making it one smooth ballhead. Unlike the eccentric ball Arca B1 the Studioball doesn't suffer lockup problems and after careful testing it carries a heavier load in the real world than almost any other head I've used in the past 25 years. The Graf is not however a head for the faint of heart as it's one large and heavy beastie at nearly 1.8kg.

    Burzynski Protec
    The toughest head I've ever used, bar none. Zero flexure under extreme load conditions eg:large 8x10 commercial LF system, Nikon F2M with 300/2 Nikkor + TC etc. Not really designed for mounting on conventional tripods as it uses a 100mm "bowl" mount used on professional video tripods, though it can be used on a film tripod. Has limited vertical movement due to the massive and short ball to mounting plate distance. Weight is just over 1kg.

    Wemberley Gimbal
    My preferred head with superteles over 500mm. Superb performance, though expensive and of limited use unless you run long lenses.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  19. #19

    Default

    Acratech Ultimate ballhead. Decent load capacity, lightweight. Markins M10 is at least 50% heavier that the AUB...

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,881

    Default

    Acratech head = 450g
    Markin M10 = 510g
    Difference = 60g not 50% heavier
    Weight bearing (take with a pinch of salt)
    Acratech = 12kg
    Markin M10 = 40kg
    Markins also have Progressive friction control


    Quote Originally Posted by RossChang
    Acratech Ultimate ballhead. Decent load capacity, lightweight. Markins M10 is at least 50% heavier that the AUB...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •