Thread: Scott Kelby's problem with Drobo

Default Scott Kelby's problem with Drobo

Seem like the solution is prevent a problem
    is itself the problem !!

Iím done with drobo
    from Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider Blog Ľ Photoshop & Digital Photography Techniques, Tutorials, Books, Reviews & More by Scott Kelby

I finally reached the point that Iím done with my drobo, which I use for the archiving of my photos. I actually use three drobos: one in my office, one in Bradís office, and one at home, and now sadly Iím going to have to move to a different platform altogether because drobo finally pushed me to the point of no return.

What I love about drobo
    What drew me to drobo was the fact that it constantly monitors the health of my hard drives, so if one starts going bad, or gets full, my drobo will warn me, and robotically shift my data to other drives installed in my drobo until I can replace that drive. Keeping a photo archive intact is very, very important to us photographers.

Why Iím done with drobo
    Because once again, for the fourth time, my drobo is a brick. Do all my drives work? Absolutely. Can I access my photos? Nope. Not a one. When I came into work a couple of days ago, all my drobo does is cycle on/off over and over again. It doesnít mount, I canít access my photos, essentially itís a brick. Again.

Scott, canít you just pop those drives into something else and get your photos back?
    Nope. Itís a proprietary system that only a drobo can read. Sigh.

I went to their site, followed their troubleshooting guide, and it still just cycles on/off (by the way, this isnít the first time this has happened ó drobo has had to replace my entire drobo unit (not including the drives) before. In fact, this was the fourth recorded incident Brad and I have had with drobo so far. By the way, while youíre waiting for your new drobo, you cannot access any of your photos on your drobo. Youíre basically locked out.

This is the moment that I knew I was done with drobo
    I called their tech support and they told me my dead drobo is out of warranty and so to get my photos back, I would have to pay nearly $300 for a drobo warranty extension thingy. So basically, while my drobo is supposed to protect my photo archive, what it has actually done is hold my photo archive hostage for $300.

I know what some of you are saying right now: ďWe told you so.Ē When my photo assistant Brad told drobo how supremely unhappy we were with that $300 hostage-situation, they eventually emailed back and lowered it to $100. We passed on the ďdeal.Ē

At this point, Iíd rather give that $100 to you. Seriously.
    Rather than sending $100 to drobo on a solution that I realize Iím going to have to abandon, Iíd rather give the money to you to help me find a better solution. To that end Iím offering a $100 bounty to whomever can help me choose the new photo archival storage system Iím going to switch to now that Iím ďdumping droboĒ (that would make a great slogan for a t-shirt by the way).

I need about 12 GB of storage, which sadly may be conservative thanks to my 36-megapixel D800 which eats up drive space like a plaque of locust. Just leave me a comment here with any advice you have for big storage, and if I go with your suggestion Iíll cut you a check for $100 for your time and research (Iím only doing this for one person, so if 50 people say ďtry dropboxĒ Iím only cutting one check to one person. Just so you know).

My plea to drobo
    Iíve been using drobos for a few years now, and have recommended them to a number of my personal friends. A lot of photographers out here have drobos and we count on drobo to keep our images safe, but obviously there can come a point where our hard drives are actually OK but our drobos have failed. My plea to drobo is simple. If our droboís power supply goes bad, or our droboís wonít mount, or whatever the problem is (unless we caused it by immersing our drobo in water, or dropping it off a counter, and so on) ó we need you to stand behind it and replace our drobos free of charge. Otherwise the whole thing is worthless. Like my drobo is now.

So, thatís my story
    While I love a lot of things about the drobo (the industrial design, the idea behind it, and the ability to easily swap drives in/out as needed), I hate that often I canít get it to mount (ask Brad about this one), and worse than that I canít have a solution that protects me when all is well, but when it gets a cold (which is clearly often does), it locks me out and then holds me hostage. That I canít live with, which is why Iím done with drobo.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scott Kelby's problem with Drobo

This blog post has magically disappeared from Scott Kelby's blog....

seriously? He is expecting a manufacturer to stand by a product that no longer has warranty and expect a FOC replacement? Who does business like that?

Even if he decides to move on to other RAID boxes he still cannot unplug all his hard drives and plug them into a different chassis from another manufacturer.
    Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF 14, 18, 35, 56, 60, 55-200 | EF-X20 speedlite

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    seriously? He is expecting a manufacturer to stand by a product that no longer has warranty and expect a FOC replacement? Who does business like that?

Even if he decides to move on to other RAID boxes he still cannot unplug all his hard drives and plug them into a different chassis from another manufacturer.
    I think he is just frustrated, that's all... especially, going thru 4 failures and all...

There are a lot of complaints about the Dobro online actually...

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413

You can if you build your own raid box with freeNAS or Linux and use non-proprietary standards.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

If he wants to have protection for his data he should not mess with funky Soho gear.. Yes, it will cost some money .. but it will cost less sweat than now. So he can decide: be a photographer and pay some premium for better storage, or save the money and learn the basics of IT. But from the way he describes it .. the second option is unlikely.
    EOS

... even if he stores his files in a Drobo, he should still think of having a backup elsewhere.
    Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF 14, 18, 35, 56, 60, 55-200 | EF-X20 speedlite

Blog Entries

RAID or NAS is high availability... it is not Backup.