View Poll Results: How much to do you charge for actual wedding day services?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • $300 and below

    14 7.18%
  • $301 to $500

    22 11.28%
  • $501 to $700

    33 16.92%
  • $701 and $800

    26 13.33%
  • $801 to $1200

    46 23.59%
  • $1201 and above

    54 27.69%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 165

Thread: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

  1. #141
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    311

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Singscott,

    Sorry for the OT here.

    I emailed to admin@ppas.sg to enquire, if I do not have any sponsors for my application to PPAS, how do I go about it.

    I would like to know how active is the PPAS? You can PM me if you want to. Thanks.



    Quote Originally Posted by singscott View Post
    Can I know whom you e-mail to?

    Just for your information. PPAS can not stop JB photographer coming here to steal our market share. As our market is a open market, every one have right to do business here. We can however educate customer in our sale patch of the different in JB guys and our more creative local guys.


    Only if there more wedding photographer members in PPAS that willing to contribute their time in serving and protect their local market. Then PPAS can do something about. But even that there no way to stop other people trying to come here to steal the local market share. It might suprise you there not only JB photographers coming here, there the australian, euporeans, american and of course taiwanese.

  2. #142
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    311

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Hi Nicholas,

    One of the Bridal Salon guy came to see me and offered me S$150 to take AD Wedding.

    Trying to achieve Large Vermeil or Gold. Look out for December, hope to exhibit in Singapore.


    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas68 View Post
    James, you are right.

    So how is your Burma covers collection coming along.. HAHA

  3. #143

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang View Post
    Hey Enchanted, agree with quite a lot of your points. Just wanted to say though, I'm not sure if there is any country in the world where there is a body which regulates prices for wedding photographers. There are organizations which gives pricing guidelines, but I think regulating price is really hard because we all have very different financial situations and appetites for risks.

    For example, it is easy for me to take huge risks because I don't have family to support. Worst case i just get no bookings and fold the business but I think for a photographer who needs to support families it's tough to take that sort of risks. Like most businesses, it's hard to make big gains in professional photography without taking big risks IMO.

    As far as pushing up the rates, to 8-15K mark, don't think you'll need to wait till 2010. My gut feel is that there's the possiblity of a big jump in rates by the end of the month to those sort of levels. Just a gut feel.
    Dear ckuang,

    Thank you for your input on these issues ...

    I do agree to your point, and i may have over-look many full-time wedding professionals, whom have a family to support and commitment, and financial security is paramount over "being-top-pros-earning-big-bucks-but-entails-with-irregular-income" position ...

    Just like in the Creative Industry -- designs, arts, fashions, etc -- these industries are considered 'HIGH RISK' Industries, whereby no Capital or Fund Managers would recommend or put their investment into it.

    But for those Risk-takers -- be it Designers, Creators, Artists, Inventors, and even Photographers are putting themselves into something that of uncertainties and no-promises of investment or financial returns. Therefore, the Risk-Reward ratio would be and should be at a much higher return ratio, as compared to other businesses say real estate or F&B ...

    For example, if i put :
    > $1.00 in Fixed Deposit the return is $1.10 ( very low risk ) -- 10/10 : failure/success
    > $1.00 in Real estate & Rental the return is $1.60 ( low risk ) -- 7/10 : failure/success
    > $1.00 in F&B would be $3.00 ( medium risk ) -- 4/10 : failure/success
    > $1.00 in Pets Business would be $6.00 ( High Risk ) -- 2/10 : failure/success
    > $1.00 in Photography & Arts would be $9.00 ( very High Risk ) -- 1/10 : failure/success
    [ *The above is for illustrative purposes, actual numbers may varies ]

    Based on the above, does anyone in the Right Mind, would put their MONEY in Photography & Arts ??? ...

    For those who make it to the top -- the rewards is HIGH ... Wedding photography can be at $15,000 if you can dream it, it shall be done.
    ( However, the reverse is more likely to be the true statistic -- High failure rate among start-ups, and many may ended-up becoming another "Cheap or FREE Labour" for the masses ... )

    Last edited by Enchanted; 10th June 2007 at 10:46 PM.

  4. #144
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    www.whltelightphotographer.com
    Posts
    1,834

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesong View Post
    Singscott,

    Sorry for the OT here.

    I emailed to admin@ppas.sg to enquire, if I do not have any sponsors for my application to PPAS, how do I go about it.

    I would like to know how active is the PPAS? You can PM me if you want to. Thanks.
    Well if you PM me your contact number I could contact you and I see what I can do

  5. #145
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
    Some give excuses about "passing-the-savings-back-to-the-clients", while others blame it on the "freelance-market-that-spoils-the-professional-market" lah blah blah ..., and some even quoted as saying "I-am-Full-time-Pro-but-I-am-happy-charging-what-i-am-comfortable", which means below Professional Market Rate, aka Professional Under-Cutters., isn't HE as guilty as the freelancers whom spoiled the market analogy ? hahahaha ...

    I can go on, and on, and on ... as long as those who believed that they are Professionals per say, then please behave, practice, and quote prices like One.
    Out of respect for chngpe01, I'm refraining from posting, at least for now.

    But enchanted, DON'T PUSH IT!!!
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  6. #146
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    nick.. u've been singing the same tunes for years... will u just retire happily and rich?

    while ur intentions may be good (i say MAY, because i'm not entirely sure) your delivery is the pits, and might i repeat myself, you have been at it for YEARS.

    like i said, it's not that i disagree with what you say entirely, i dun wish to comment on the content, but it's your delivery that is very very offensive to many. i just wonder why is it that you are so sore about it all?

    you know, kuang shares a similar vision to you, and he has shared with us for a better wedding photography industry in singapore and even taking the spirit overseas. but he does it so eloquently and is well-liked by the industry... but you.. i really dunno man.. just try to change ur tunes lar.. can?

  7. #147
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    3,723

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesong View Post
    Hi Nicholas,

    One of the Bridal Salon guy came to see me and offered me S$150 to take AD Wedding.

    Trying to achieve Large Vermeil or Gold. Look out for December, hope to exhibit in Singapore.
    I will try to drop by to your shop one of this day....

  8. #148

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post
    nick.. u've been singing the same tunes for years... will u just retire happily and rich?

    while ur intentions may be good (i say MAY, because i'm not entirely sure) your delivery is the pits, and might i repeat myself, you have been at it for YEARS.

    like i said, it's not that i disagree with what you say entirely, i dun wish to comment on the content, but it's your delivery that is very very offensive to many. i just wonder why is it that you are so sore about it all?

    you know, kuang shares a similar vision to you, and he has shared with us for a better wedding photography industry in singapore and even taking the spirit overseas. but he does it so eloquently and is well-liked by the industry... but you.. i really dunno man.. just try to change ur tunes lar.. can?

    JOho,

    You may be right that my messages delivery to my audience may be poor ... thus offended some whom they take it personally, rather than objectively.

    However, from what i have had presented, are simply my honest simple views and words -- my intention is good ( but presented it crudely ).

    No two people's or person's personality are much alike, even when they may share the same idealogy or vision, or about how things ought to be done - to achieve the same objective ...

    If One does not prefer Somebody's way of presentation or delivery ( although may agree to the certain concept and ideas ), he can either choose to ignore it partially or totally.

    It is like why some Choose Nikon, while others choose Canon, but afterall isn't it just a tool ? ... Whichever fit, use it -- if not by pass it and moves on to another.

    I can't be a 'canon' just becos that most people like to hear canon, sing canon, and dance to the tune of canon.

    Some accused me of 'Freelancer bashing' when i wrote articles educating the public about the experience levels and practices, while other Players see me as 'assassinator' when they don't agree to my concept of 'Price Flooring' and pointers attribution to market stagnation and profit erosions ...


    Bottomline is -- does the cause, in any way, help ( whether much or little ) to the objective ?


    - - -

    P/S: I wrote, speak and action -- because i really do CARE about the state and condition of wedding photographers ( at all levels) and the bridal industry. Period
    Last edited by Enchanted; 11th June 2007 at 02:37 PM.

  9. #149
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    3,723

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...30#post3137230

    Did anybody see this.... Right in front of your noise...

  10. #150
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    yes fine i know what u do, i have known for years.. and if u say u care, i believe u, there's nothing to say that u're lying.

    but wat u're essentially saying is that your delivery method suits you fine, just like nikon suits you fine and not canon (example). thing is, when u use nikon, pple from canon aren't gonna dislike u for that. in this case however, your choice of delivery is offensive, and if i may be a little more specific, it's very much a "holier than thou" attitude and i have experienced it myself. take note, that this attitude is APPARENT, i did not say you really do feel that way, but it's the way it SOUNDS like.. is that what you wanna come across as?

    now, if u disagree, it is VERY PROBABLY because you are senior and find it hard to change ur old habits. but truly, this is what's happening, and for the good of your reputation, you need to deliver your messages in another manner. THAT is also part of being professional right? i'm sure u have had brides say they look fat in photos. do u say to them "but you are fat what, so what are u complaining about?" tact is what i ask, and it is certainly part of being professional, which u cry out loud each time "professional this, professional that..."

    and a last moot point, the way you use the english language is rather laughable. i know it's not a direct point in this topic, but i feel that your poor language skills makes the "attitude problem" of yours magnified. no idea how you could improve on this tho...

    there's no hostility between us anymore nick, and while you did mention that i can always skip what you write if i don't like what i'm reading, i'm not responding becos i'm offended. i'm past that. in a way, i'm trying to point out to you what i see is wrong with you. you too, can choose to ignore me.

    and.. i bid those in our industry (including you) well. i'm doing ok on my end, i hope everyone sees a great vision and also enjoy the benefits. and as you well know, benefits do not just include the monetary kind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
    JOho,

    You may be right that my messages delivery to my audience may be poor ... thus offended some whom they take it personally, rather than objectively.

    However, from what i have had presented, are simply my honest simple views and words -- my intention is good ( but presented it crudely ).

    No two people's or person's personality are much alike, even when they may share the same idealogy or vision, or about how things ought to be done - to achieve the same objective ...

    If One does not prefer Somebody's way of presentation or delivery ( although may agree to the certain concept and ideas ), he can either choose to ignore it partially or totally.

    It is like why some Choose Nikon, while others choose Canon, but afterall isn't it just a tool ? ... Whichever fit, use it -- if not by pass it and moves on to another.

    I can't be a 'canon' just becos that most people like to hear canon, sing canon, and dance to the tune of canon.

    Some accused me of 'Freelancer bashing' when i wrote articles educating the public about the experience levels and practices, while other Players see me as 'assassinator' when they don't agree to my concept of 'Price Flooring' and pointers attribution to market stagnation and profit erosions ...


    Bottomline is -- does the cause, in any way, help ( whether much or little ) to the objective ?


    - - -

    P/S: I wrote, speak and action -- because i really do CARE about the state and condition of wedding photographers ( at all levels) and the bridal industry. Period

  11. #151
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas68 View Post
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...30#post3137230

    Did anybody see this.... Right in front of your noise...
    erm.. i'm not sure what u're getting at..

    i shot my first three weddings free with another pro ard. i don't really consider it "shooting wedding" i just tagged along and looked blur, but got enuff shots for portfolio.

    maybe if my testimonial isn't strong enuff, Joe Buissink also shot his first few weddings for free.

    anywayz since i'm on this topic, let me advise pple who want to start this journey that, while shooting for free to gain portfolio isn't "wrong" (by my standards at least), but before u do that PLEASE make sure ur basics are STRONG. a totally inexperienced (in weddings) person can still "get by" if he has strong basics. if not u're just gonna totally screw up and none of your shots can be used for portfolio.

    u'll be surprised at the amt of decision making you need to do within a split second, that photography BASICS should NOT be part of the equation, it should be second nature. questions like "what lens to use and what iso should i shoot at" should already be known. i mean cmon, it's a dark ballroom, most if not all of us has been to at least one wedding in a ballroom, it's dark, wat do u expect, to use iso200?

    some pple tell me they never go to ballrooms and shoot much. ok lor, next time u go out with your family to crystal jade, shoot some pics. it's a similar environment isn't it? dark cramped crowded noisy. see how u fare there, THEN go shoot your free wedding. it isn't a place to learn technicals.

    yo nicholas68, not targeting you hor, just that i very lor sor and got on this topic...

  12. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I'm a Llama!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang View Post
    As far as pushing up the rates, to 8-15K mark, don't think you'll need to wait till 2010. My gut feel is that there's the possiblity of a big jump in rates by the end of the month to those sort of levels. Just a gut feel.
    You bought that Hasselblad didn't you? You crafty photog you...

  13. #153
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mostly SF, Sometimes SGP
    Posts
    424

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    You bought that Hasselblad didn't you? You crafty photog you...
    hey Terence, yes, I did, and dang the camera and lesn is awesome. Too bad, i just can't get good scanning here. Hey, do you know where does good scans? I am on the verge of having all my scans done in Oz or the US.

    Hey Joho, glad to hear you're doing well. Coming to our WPN dinner on the 15th?

    Anyway, to all aspiring wedding photographers, no matter what path you choose with your business, hope everyone has a wonderful experience and a fantastic, because at the end of the day, that's what life is all about right?

    May our industry always be filled with words of encouragement and co operation and the fulfillment of our artistic vision. Peace!

  14. #154
    Moderator chngpe01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,863
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang View Post
    May our industry always be filled with words of encouragement and co operation and the fulfillment of our artistic vision. Peace!
    With that I would expect the thread to move on with the Topic ie. "How much do you charge for actual day wedding" instead of any other OT posting.

  15. #155
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station B1-48.
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post
    With that I would expect the thread to move on with the Topic ie. "How much do you charge for actual day wedding" instead of any other OT posting.
    Business comes first.

    Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    I think someone needs to start a new poll with a wider range and higher end fees of SGD$8k-9k?
    Have the poll on nett hourly rates instead on package, e.g.
    A) $301 and above
    B) $201 to $300
    C) $151 to $200
    D) $101 to $150
    E) $76 to $100
    F) $50 to $75 (I suspect there’re quite a few in this cat, with 300 4R and album
    thrown in. May not even nett $50 per hour.)


    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Very interesting thread here, a thread that started more than 2 years ago and still alive 2 years later.
    A topic on business, monies and survival will always be interesting. The same issue and struggle even after 20 years.
    just1book, no kidding!

  16. #156

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang View Post
    hey Terence, yes, I did, and dang the camera and lesn is awesome. Too bad, i just can't get good scanning here. Hey, do you know where does good scans? I am on the verge of having all my scans done in Oz or the US.

    Hey Joho, glad to hear you're doing well. Coming to our WPN dinner on the 15th?

    Anyway, to all aspiring wedding photographers, no matter what path you choose with your business, hope everyone has a wonderful experience and a fantastic, because at the end of the day, that's what life is all about right?

    May our industry always be filled with words of encouragement and co operation and the fulfillment of our artistic vision. Peace!
    Actually, you can get it done at Terence's place... have you checked out his scanner?? =)

    And yes... I am finally gonna meet Joho (if he comes to the dinner!). Jeez. 3 years in the forum together, communicating thru msn and having tonnes of mutual friends and we have yet to meet! Ha...

  17. #157

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas68 View Post
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...30#post3137230

    Did anybody see this.... Right in front of your noise...
    I think you miss this too


    http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=286926

  18. #158
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    3,723

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
    Yes, I saw it but I do not understand the Chinese word. Do you mind example to me.

  19. #159
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post
    i mean cmon, it's a dark ballroom, most if not all of us has been to at least one wedding in a ballroom, it's dark, wat do u expect, to use iso200?
    Actually Joho, I rated my film at iso 200 and shot in dark ballroom at 4 Seasons, still got 1/8 shutter speed, no flash

    I agree with Joho with regards to doing wedding for portfolio sake. But always make sure there's a photographer who's willing to let you tag along. I would say, for the 1st few weddings, don't shoot, just observe and learn.

    If you go solo and charge low in order to get your wedding portfolio, beware what lies ahead. If you mess up people's wedding pictures, they have every reasons to sue you for amounts that are many times more than what you are charging.

    Coming to that, the concern isn't how much these new photographers are charging, but a lot of them operate without proper biz practice - the most crucial thing like the wedding contract is not in place. Trust me, operating without a proper contract can get you bankrupt, believe it or not. For example, by default, when a couple commissions you to shoot their wedding, the copyright belongs to them. You can check it out http://www.ipos.gov.sg/main/aboutip/...ipnrights.html

    So technically, you can charge $300 for a wedding, but if you don't pen down on your agreement that copyright belong solely to you, they can use your images for many things that you can imagine, plus, they can also prevent you from using their images for purpose of portfolio. Do you know that if you happened to have a really well taken image, couple can also sell it for amounts more than $300 per image?

  20. #160
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    3,723

    Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

    [QUOTE=ckuang;3138539]hey Terence, yes, I did, and dang the camera and lesn is awesome. Too bad, i just can't get good scanning here. Hey, do you know where does good scans? I am on the verge of having all my scans done in Oz or the US.

    Just check with this company. I am sure they are still using the drumscan for all their negative..

    A&P
    6 Aljunied Ave 3 #01-02
    Singapore 389932
    6746 0188

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •