View Poll Results: How much to do you charge for actual wedding day services?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • $300 and below

14 7.18%
  • $301 to $500

22 11.28%
  • $501 to $700

33 16.92%
  • $701 and $800

26 13.33%
  • $801 to $1200

46 23.59%
  • $1201 and above

54 27.69%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
    Please re-read what i have written. period.

"Professional jealousy is meaningless and counter-productive, it will only cut you and set you back 2 stops." -- NickGoh, 2007

I am inspired again ...
    Here is a quote from yourself

"However, i believe One of the most important aspects
    to becoming a Professional Wedding Photographer is -- Humility."
    -- NickGoh, 2004

There's a lesson to be learn here
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Talking to me? You must be joking for me to be jealous of you, especially when advertising and not wedding is my main paymaster.

Remember? we were the ones who turn you down.
    Well, you said it yourself - wedding is NOT your paymaster.

BTW, 90% of my revenue is from weddings.

So who do you think Newbies or new Entrants will be taking cue from Someone who does part-time ( or dabbling ) in wedding or Someone who's into it Full-time ?

I dun do advertising photography, but i came from an advertising/publishing background in the early 90's, someone who's into Art Direction and visualiser / illustrator positions before, but of course, that wouldn't Give me the Rights to mentioned or comments about Advertsising Photography and Concepts, etc ....

About turning me down thingy ... it's OK for me -- i had accepted with grace.
    Last edited by Enchanted; 8th June 2007 at 02:27 PM.

So who do you think Newbies or new Entrants will be taking cue from Someone who does part-time ( or dabbling ) in wedding or Someone who's into it Full-time ?

I dun do advertising photography, but i came from an advertising/publishing background in the early 90's, someone who's into Art Direction and visiualser positions before, but of course, that wouldn't Give me the Rights to mentioned or comments about Advertsising Photography and Concepts, etc ....
    Just a correction so that you don't take my post and twist it into your own words.
    I said that Wedding is not my MAIN paymaster,it IS one of my paymaster just not my main, NOT, as you've posted, that wedding is NOT my paymaster.

Well I'm not sure who new entrants will be taking the cue from.
    Smurfman and singscott are also a fulltime professional so are some others here. Maybe they'll take their cue from them?

All I know is that,
    I do know what I'm talking about,
    I don't have to put others down just because I don't agreed with them,
    I don't have to force my opinion down people's throat and most importantly,
    I don't say one thing and than do another.
    I'll say what I mean and do what I say and, at the same time, if I'm proven wrong I must try to have the humility to admite it.

That's what I know.

What I think is, it will be very scary if newbies and new entrants chose to take the cue from one who can't back up their words with action.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

I think you got it wrong ...

Please refer to this earlier Posting > http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....0&postcount=56

There is really NO worry at All - for i am in the Driver's Seat !
    i certainly hope u are. and nope, i din't get anything wrong.

i jus feel that since things have come to such a sad state, one should jus concentrate on their own services and improve on their own techniques and not worry abt the F.O.C and S$300-500(rough guide) market.

we each has our own niche of clients and market. i hope u're happy with ur share of the spoils and that hopefully u're still a major force in the market.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

waaaa... cool it guys.

main thing is still... charge the kinda rates that u think u're worth and that's it.

if u're sitting comfortably at the top, why would u even worry abt wat's happening at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    waaaa... cool it guys.
    main thing is still... charge the kinda rates that u think u're worth and that's it.

if u're sitting comfortably at the top, why would u even worry abt wat's happening at the bottom?
    If the price floor at the bottom rises, who'll complain? The entire industry moves upwards.

I dun do advertising photography, but i came from an advertising/publishing background in the early 90's, someone who's into Art Direction and visualiser / illustrator positions before, but of course, that wouldn't Give me the Rights to mentioned or comments about Advertsising Photography and Concepts, etc ....

About turning me down thingy ... it's OK for me -- i had accepted with grace.
    Someone just ask me, so far all my postings to you were to counter you, base on your own postings, and almost all my counter have nothing to do with being a wedding photographer. That being the case, how is not being a full time wedding photographer connected to it?

BTW, once again you're wrong, just because you're not an advertising photographer don't mean that you can't comment, everyone can comment, photography is after all a visual media which everyone can enjoy and can have an opinion on and, this is after all a free country.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    If the price floor at the bottom rises, who'll complain? The entire industry moves upwards.
    then it'll still be good for everybody involved la.

but its unlikely as there'll always be ppl at the bottom of the pyramid.

being at the top or at the bottom is up to each of them lar, if you're happy, it don't matter where you are.

PS: but if always at the bottom also very jailat lar

You're missing my point. There'll always be people at the bottom of the pyramid, yes, but it does not mean that the prices cannot move up. The cheapest hotel/restaurant cannot charge what they charge ten years ago. Heck, even the cheapest coffee shop cannot sell coffee at the same price they did ten years ago.

So my point is, there'll always be people at the bottom of the pyramid. But I hope, for the better of these people and the whole industry (and honestly, for myself as well), that the minimum price at the bottom will move upwards. That's just my hope. I do understand what it's like, first hand experience. I believe so do many people here who share the same hope as well.

I rest my case. Not becos of anything, it's as a professional, i will not carry on.

To the point of Enchanted approaching my team to work together, as a professional, i will not disclose any details, just that things will never work out. But it is true that i will never accept what Enchanted proposed, so i rejected.

To the point of directing clients to my team, well thank you Enchanted.

To the point of accepting critism, Enchanted u still got a long way to go. I will stop here as 2 of my colleagues and my wife knows u for quite sometimes. Before my postings get bloody ugly.

To the point of photography, Enchanted, u really need to read more, and perhads, stop shooting and take a step back, see as a bystander, know what have u missed.

To the point of jeaslousy, Enchanted, i will never get jeaslous of u, cos i always make myself improve, interms of photography, i am way past u. Interms of layout skills, u are still in the past, this is my confident. I have yet updated my portfolios on my web for 6 to 7 mths already, but my clients knows what i can delivered.

To: yqt,

To be frank, there are no conflict of interests with you / your company or assciates -- becos we covers different market segments and our client's base, perhaps came from a different lots.

Having said that doesn't mean that i am at the "top" even if i am serving the above $2K /$3K bracket market segment, etc. Actually i still felt that is really no meaning in associating One worthiness with the amount of fee he command. Neither is One who is serving the "Sub-1K Market" is No good in their trades or skills -- there is no co-relationship at all.

After serious consideration, from the Business POV and Strategic Alliance POV, i believe it would Not work out becos:
    [1] Your interest in the above $2K market segment, in the near-term is low
    [2] Your non-practise of "Pre-Wedding Briefing and Consultation" does not inline with mine standard practise policy.

There are also minor pointers, which i would not want to put it here.

Anyway, by turning me down ( you may have your own reasons - which i am ready to accept and understand ) does not mean becos you are BETTER - in terms of Wedding Works or Marketing or Business Practise.

After all is said and done, to me it is just another ( business ) opportunity loss, that's all.
    It is not about who is a better photographer or business man - or both.

No hard feelings.
    Last edited by Enchanted; 8th June 2007 at 03:57 PM.

BTW, once again you're wrong, just because you're not an advertising photographer don't mean that you can't comment, everyone can comment, photography is after all a visual media which everyone can enjoy and can have an opinion on and, this is after all a free country.

Although i am in the Advertising & Publishing industry before, doesn't GIVE me the Rights to comments on Advertising Photographers' Works -- Simply becos if being Art Director, has choosen someone, whom he believes can do a good job, then let Him do his job and deliver it -- that a sign of respect and trust.

It is the same, when Wedding couples choosen you for the job and events of their lifetime, they would be certainly have carefully selected you for the JOB and TRUSTED you in your professionlism and ethics. Being a selected Pro, I don't think the wedding Couples are going to tell you what to shoots, who to shoots, and directing you all over the place, and giving No meals breaks and expecting you to leave after 12 midnite, etc.

To Enchanted
    To each their own.
    We at our end, price and market ourselves diff. from you.
    Our interest in the above $2K segment is low at the moment, though some of us can and are more than capable to do so now, we chose not to, at the moment. We're at a comfort pace and level and want to keep it that way. Just for a little while longer.
    "Pre-Wedding Briefing and Consultation" is something we do but only upon the couple's request and at the moment, only about 10% of our couples request for it, we let our images do the talking ( though smurfman have not updated his online portfolio in the last 6 mths and myself at least 18 mths ) and bookings are still coming in. That being the case, we don't see the need to actively promote it so that we can keep the cost down and pass it back to the couples.

Turning your offer down did not affect your business in anyway I'm sure, just as it did not do us any harm either. We don't see it as a opportunity loss as we did not see the gain in the first place, we're just too diff in the way we operate.

I always leave any uncomfortable feelings behind me and just move on.

No hard feelings and I wish you well.

yqt

PS: Just like you, I'm also rather strong in my views and I'm sure we'll cross swords again. I'm just glad that we can try to be civil about it and be matured enough not to let it boil over ( though today it came real close ). Till the next time, have a good day.

Although i am in the Advertising & Publishing industry before, doesn't GIVE me the Rights to comments on Advertising Photographers' Works -- Simply becos if being Art Director, has choosen someone, whom he believes can do a good job, then let Him do his job and deliver it -- that a sign of respect and trust.

It is the same, when Wedding couples choosen you for the job and events of their lifetime, they would be certainly have carefully selected you for the JOB and TRUSTED you in your professionlism and ethics. Being a selected Pro, I don't think the wedding Couples are going to tell you what to shoots, who to shoots, and directing you all over the place, and giving No meals breaks and expecting you to leave after 12 midnite, etc.
    OK this I can agreed,......... except the 12 midnite thingy,........ that one, I'm the one who chose to stay till the end

OK this I can agreed,......... except the 12 midnite thingy,........ that one, I'm the one who chose to stay till the end
    Thank you for sharing ...

Many many many years ago, when i was starting out and charging $500 during the film era early-90's, i remembered when couples expected photographers to hang around after the last guest has left the ballroom, which can be 11:30pm onwards ... and sometimes expecting to take the 2 families Group photos, with whoever have stayed behind ... sometimes the shoot can be expected to finished till almost midnite ... whereby there are no taxi willing to take you after 11:30pm, and you have to call a cab and kena the surcharge $$, which could be a chuck off you pathetic income, etc.

While these days, it ok, for i billed them for extention surcharges, after 11pm ... with that - they are happy with you staying till past midenite, i am also happy -- but most would have finished and done at 11pm, which i have planned for them !

For those willing to stayed on till past midnite and not charge any, so be it. It may be viewed as "going that extra mile" to your clients, but honestly Nobody remembers it ! ... But your own pocket that paid that midnite surcharge taxi fare will.
    Last edited by Enchanted; 8th June 2007 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    You're missing my point. There'll always be people at the bottom of the pyramid, yes, but it does not mean that the prices cannot move up. The cheapest hotel/restaurant cannot charge what they charge ten years ago. Heck, even the cheapest coffee shop cannot sell coffee at the same price they did ten years ago.

So my point is, there'll always be people at the bottom of the pyramid. But I hope, for the better of these people and the whole industry (and honestly, for myself as well), that the minimum price at the bottom will move upwards. That's just my hope. I do understand what it's like, first hand experience. I believe so do many people here who share the same hope as well.

I subscribed to your POV.

The notion of having a "price flooring" although is nothing new concept or practise, but it will help the industry in the long run.

Take it as a minimum wage "governed'" by the Ministry of Labour ... Heck, we are a 1st World Developed Nation, and our nation's leaders are the highest paid in the world.

We have great and fantastic Singaporean Wedding Photographers, whom produces award winning imagery, trend-setters and also in the areas of customers service and performances, but yet we have NOT arrived anything near in the scope and spectrum of "the Minimum Wages" for freelance Professional Wedding Photography ..

Please don't tell me it is $300 for the "minimum wage" by Market Forces ... but i believed should be pegged and be around in the range between $2.5K to $3.5K ( 2007 ) , as comparing to the world averages. ( Having said that, i am guilty of charging anything below $2.5K at times too .. and God help me ) ...

Until one day, if there are more than half of the practisioners begins to have this "Flooring Price" mentality fixed and agreed upon, and becomes a real practise, if NOT, we will still be in -- "3rd world wages in a 1st world Country"

Ain't we "Cheap labour" ? ... for goodness sake
    Last edited by Enchanted; 8th June 2007 at 06:19 PM.

Many many many years ago, when i was starting out and charging $500 during the film era early-90's, i remembered .... :
    Just to prevent mis-understanding and mis-quote, 15 years ago $500 is "a lot" of money... it is equivalent to today's $1,800 after factored in inflation, standard of livings, interest rates, etc.

Technologies, skills level, quality of products have improves and upgrades in leap and bounds, but why we are still stuck in $300 in 2007 ?

Just to prevent mis-understanding and mis-quote, 15 years ago $500 is "a lot" of money... it is equivalent to today's $1,800 after factored in inflation, standard of livings, interest rates, etc.

Technologies, skills level, quality of products have improves and upgrades in leap and bounds, but why we are still stuck in $300 in 2007 ?
    That is also why I started this thread. Of course each of us have our own clients base. My wedding charges would be in the $1.5 onward now vs my rate of $800 when this thread was started. In fact my wedding jobs count drop from 24 that year to now only 6 this year. Do I regard doing less and earning lesser from wedding. Not a chance. It open other venues to make money, as it force me and free up the time for me to change, from wedding base to what now a day I mainly do commerical, cooperate to industrial stuffs. Pay better and offer more challenging jobs to me at lest.

We have to remember the business aspect of things. We need to be creative and well paid to do a good job that is our own responsibilities. Time may have change but pricing rate which wedding are going for have not. In fact it getting cheaper that saviour of a wedding photographer's business is in question. Ironically the photographers now a day are getting more creative and good at their jobs.

There others will argue they need a start off and move to better rate in future. Then it will like my experience charge more see less customers. Once you transfix your market standing it is very hard to move farther up, the chance will be more the likelyhood that you fix yourself into that price bracket.

If the minimum price are such that allow for reasonable income, customer have no chance but to follow us in our pricing. But once a member of trade start to spoil the market other will follow due to the fear of losting business, then it a downward race to the profitless finish.

What is a reasonable income? Ask yourself these few questions I have when I start this tread.

Do I feel I need to match my trademen cheap price that I know I can not make reasonable income if I am to do this trade full time?

Do I make reasonable income that I have qualities in life and willing to be creative for my clients?

Do I make reasonable income that my business can grow?

Do I improve my market standing and help the trade as a whole with my "competitive" pricing?

Many of us know the answers
    Last edited by singscott; 9th June 2007 at 01:06 AM.

Blog Entries

To Enchanted and yqt please take your personal differences offline. And keep within the topic. Any OT will be deleted as well as infrction given.
    Last edited by chngpe01; 9th June 2007 at 01:11 AM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast