View Poll Results: How much to do you charge for actual wedding day services?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • $300 and below

14 7.18%
  • $301 to $500

22 11.28%
  • $501 to $700

33 16.92%
  • $701 and $800

26 13.33%
  • $801 to $1200

46 23.59%
  • $1201 and above

54 27.69%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    You'll be surprised, people are very well-informed these days. And those who are willing to pay premium for wedding photography won't buy into these free thingy.

Don't mind sharing with you guys, nowadays, the first questions that couples ask me when we meet up or even over the phone, is not "How much do you charge ar?" . Their common questions are "are you the one who shot the photos on your website and will you be the one photographing our wedding?" or "are you the one doing the photography or you have associates to do for you?" or "Will you be available on <date>?"

Also, the meeting with couples these days is never about pricing, and even if we do talk about it, it's just a matter of clarification. Best part is, they NEVER bargain... when I was charging half of my current fees now, most couples come with little intention to look at your work and 90% of the time it was about negotiating the lowest price for them, esp the part when they start asking for extra 100 x 4R prints because another photographer who charges the same price as you is offering 400 instead of 300 x 4R.
    its all abt the market segment that one is aiming at.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

I work with a few good Makeup/haidro Artists ... on the average I paid them $300 - $500 ( for my wedding couples on Wedding day & Evening services, which typically covers about 1 hour day + 1.5 hours night ).

When a freelance makeup artist charged me $100 - $200 per hour for her services, what the hell are the Freelancers Wedding day Photographers doing when he worked for 10 hours or more on wedding day & night at $180 - $300 for 10 solid hours only ?!? ...

Only when the Freelance Market forces wakeup to the idea of NOT being "Cheap labour", then we will see Professionalism and Professional Talents seriously venture into this trade...
    Why be photographer, when one is better of being an makeup artist earning more for lesser hours rendered ... hahahaha.

Anyway, my point here is for those still feeling sore about Oneself being in a state of self-pity and helplessness, why NOT start charging your worth and stop feeling down and out.

If you are still charging $300 for 12 hours wedding job with all the Print + Album + Slideshow + Freebies Prints, then don't blame anyone or everybody for your actions and your state of mind, BUT yourself --- better quit and get back to your day job.

Competition ? What Competition !! ... There are Not much Competition in my market segment, but only sometimes handling too much clients "fighting" for the same date(s) over my personal service ... HOW i wish i could be CLONE

I have took time from my work, to share, help and educate young photographers
    and new entrants, about the directions and how-do, etc ... BUT if you are NOT receptive or appreciative, then be it -- it simply your loss, not the Giver.
    Last edited by Enchanted; 8th June 2007 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
    I work with a few good Makeup/haidro Artists ... on the average I paid them $300 - $500 ( for my wedding couples on Wedding day & Evening services, which typically covers about 1 hour day + 1.5 hours night ).

When a freelance makeup artist charged me $100 - $200 per hour for her services, what the hell are the Freelancers Wedding day Photographers doing when he worked for 10 hours or more on wedding day & night at $180 - $300 for 10 solid hours only ?!? ...

Only when the Freelance Market forces wakeup to the idea of NOT being "Cheap labour", then we will see Professionalism and Professional Talents seriously venture into this trade...
    Why be photographer, when one is better of being an makeup artist earning more for lesser hours rendered ... hahahaha.

Anyway, my point here is for those still feeling sore about Oneself being in a state of self-pity and helplessness, why NOT start charging your worth and stop feeling down and out.

If you are still charging $300 for 12 hours wedding job ( $25/Hr ), then don't blame anyone or everybody for your actions and your state of mind, BUT yourself --- better quit and get back to your day job.
    What if ppl happy at $25 per hr, they happy mah. Cannot meh?
    I seriously think that u are very bias with free lancers, from what u post. I also dun like ppl any how charge, but not to ur extend. When so many ppl picked on ur postings, i believe some thing is wrong.

i keep to the simple belief that there'll always be jokers who do F.O.C and some clowns who charge exorbitantly low price for their effort and yes, 'expensive' photographers who charges a premium for their effort.

different markets for different clients la.

we stick to our own respective market segment lor.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman View Post
    What if ppl happy at $25 per hr, they happy mah. Cannot meh?
    I seriously think that u are very bias with free lancers, from what u post. I also dun like ppl any how charge, but not to ur extend. When so many ppl picked on ur postings, i believe some thing is wrong.

It is because the Freelance wedding market are pegging it at $20 - $25 per hour, then HOW could I in the normal logic ( Business POV ), paying freelance photographers at $100 per hour or more ?? ( Which i wanted to and had always encourged the market to Go towards that directions ... )

Becos of such Market Forces, the best i could do is to pay double the current rate - $40 / $50.

So the point here is that IF Freelance market ( in reality ) is charging their direct clients at $20 - $25 per hours, then it make NO sense for Business People paying at $40 - $50 for Freelancers, isn't it ? - But i did ( call me a fool, but it is OK with Me )
    Last edited by Enchanted; 8th June 2007 at 10:52 AM.

It is because the Freelance wedding market are pegging it at $20 - $25 per hour, then HOW could I in the normal logic ( Business POV ), paying freelance photographers at $100 per hour or more ?? ( Which i wanted to and had always encourged the market to Go towards that directions ... )

Becos of such Market Forces, the best i could do is to pay double the current rate - $40 / $50.

So the point here is that IF Freelance market ( in reality ) is charging their direct clients at $20 - $25 per hours, then it make NO sense for Business People paying at $40 - $50 for Freelancers, isn't it ? - But i did ( call me a fool, but it is OK with Me )
    y worry?

if ur photography standard is high and way better than those jokers and clowns, what is there to worry?

those who go to u are mainly those who like and admire ur fotography skills surely they wun bother much and compare ur standard to those jokers and clowns, much less pricing?

as i said, different market interest. urs is high-end range.

unless... with ur high pricing, dun tell me ur standard not up to par with those offering S$3XX for a full day wedding coverage?

then, that is another matter altogether.

otherwise, why worry?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    y worry?
    if ur photography standard is high and way better than those jokers and clowns, what is there to worry?

those who go to u are mainly those who like and admire ur fotography skills surely they wun bother much and compare ur standard to those jokers and clowns, much less pricing?

as i said, different market interest. urs is high-end range.

unless... with ur high pricing, dun tell me ur standard not up to par with those offering S$3XX for a full day wedding coverage?

then, that is another matter altogether.

otherwise, why worry?

I think you got it wrong ...

Please refer to this earlier Posting > http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....0&postcount=56

There is really NO worry at All - for i am in the Driver's Seat !
    Last edited by Enchanted; 8th June 2007 at 11:22 AM.

Only when the Freelance Market forces wakeup to the idea of NOT being "Cheap labour", then we will see Professionalism and Professional Talents seriously venture into this trade... Why be photographer, when one is better of being an makeup artist earning more for lesser hours rendered ... hahahaha.
    Why are you shooting yourself in the foot? or is this a wrong posting?
    There are many freelancers/part timers who are charging what you call "chape labour" since at least 8 to 10 years ago. Since you used the word " Only when ", are you saying that since than till now there are no " Professionalism and Professional Talents seriously venture into this trade... " Than what does that makes you and all the other photographers who enter this market since than? Were we stupid to be photographers instead of being MUA?

If you are still charging $300 for 12 hours wedding job with all the Print + Album + Slideshow + Freebies Prints, then don't blame anyone or everybody for your actions and your state of mind, BUT yourself --- better quit and get back to your day job.
    I don't think those who's charging " $300 for 12 hours wedding job with all the Print + Album + Slideshow + Freebies Prints " are blaming anyone, they know they can and should charge higher. What they need is advice and guildance, not someone to tell them to quit and get back to your day job.

Competition ? What Competition !! ... There are Not much Competition in my market segment, but only sometimes handling too much clients "fighting" for the same date(s) over my personal service ... HOW i wish i could be CLONE
    Enjoy it while it last. Photography edu. for wedding couples is still ongoing. There are many photographers out there who can shoot what you have in your portfolio ( some even better ), and they are charging less than what you charge. Or are these the photographers whom you are feeling sore about. These are the ones who you feel are under charging and should charge what you charge? Or maybe higher?

I have took time from my work, to share, help and educate young photographers
    and new entrants, about the directions and how-do, etc ... BUT if you are NOT receptive or appreciative, then be it -- it simply your loss, not the Giver.
    A true professional who's trying to share, help and edu. new entrants, will be humble. He should try to explain, encourage, and guild them along without putting them down or making them feel small while he's feeling big and untouchable. Take a look at John Clang, see Joho's postings, they are just 2 out of the many here whom you can learn something from. Perhaps you should revisit your own website where you've written:

"However, i believe One of the most important aspects
    to becoming a Professional Wedding Photographer is -- Humility."
    -- NickGoh, 2004

There's something to be learned here.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

I think u r talking no sense here, read ur own writing here MASTER, u are actually cornering urself alot here.

U are charging at ur own comfortable rates, so why u worry? Also, if u think u can go even higher, go ahead, the market is small, soon ur clients will find out more.

My personal feel is u are good in sales, but lack of the sense in photography, i can tell u directly, if u dun improve soon, u are going to be stuck at ur current own HIGH standard, which i dun think so.

This posting is posted by Smurfman who's using yqt's computer at the time and did not realised it. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by yqt; 8th June 2007 at 11:59 AM.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    I think u r talking no sense here, read ur own writing here MASTER, u are actually cornering urself alot here.

U are charging at ur own comfortable rates, so why u worry? Also, if u think u can go even higher, go ahead, the market is small, soon ur clients will find out more.

My personal feel is u are good in sales, but lack of the sense in photography, i can tell u directly, if u dun improve soon, u are going to be stuck at ur current own HIGH standard, which i dun think so.

This posting is posted by Smurfman who's using yqt's computer at the time and did not realised it. Sorry for the confusion.
    Interesting perspective. I thank you for your time in pointing out my blind-spot.

My Clients are NOt stupid, as you have pointed out here.

Anyway, subjectivity on Ones' photo works is fine, but attacking and tarnishing One's personality, traits and name is another matter ...

Please make up your mind about what you want to do and what you post.

First you said that those charging less than $300.00 are cheap labour but the market is peg at $20 -$25 /hour. Meaning that the market rate is even lower than cheap labour.

Than you state that $100.00/hour should be the normal rate which you want to pay and is encourageing the market to go in this direction.

In the next line you state that you paid $40-$50/hour and blame it on market forces.

Going by your posting, Market Rate is suppose/encouraged to be $100/hour. So why are you paying only half ( or lower ) than what you, yourself is encouraging others to do?
    Oh..., because of MARKET RATE? But you already state that the Market Rate is lower than what you classified as cheap labour. Why should you go down to that level if you don't agreed to it? Since you WANT TO and you ENCOURAGE the market to go towards that direction, why are you NOT PRACTISING WHAT YOU PREACH? Can talk the talk but can't walk the walk?

A true professional who hope to lead, engcourage and project himself as a Market Leading Professional, will stand up to what he said, if he said that $100/hour is the market rate that he wants to pay and he encourage the market to go in that direction, than he should back up his words by paying that rate regardless of what the present rates are since he don't agreed with it.

The only thing which I'll agreed with you is, Yes, many will think you're a fool for paying $40-$50/hour, but for different reasons.

Interesting perspective. I thank you for your time in pointing out my blind-spot.

Anyway, subjectivity on Ones' photo works is fine, but attacking and tarnishing One's personality, traits and name is another matter ...
    Sorry, need to clear this up first.

Are you directing this post to smurfman or myself,yqt?

As explained, the post you quoted, is posted by smurfman by mistake using my computer and my nick ( i'm yqt ). Sorry for the error but please let me know who you're directing the post to.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Please make up your mind about what you want to do and what you post.

First you said that those charging less than $300.00 are cheap labour but the market is peg at $20 -$25 /hour. Meaning that the market rate is even lower than cheap labour.

Than you state that $100.00/hour should be the normal rate which you want to pay and is encourageing the market to go in this direction.

In the next line you state that you paid $40-$50/hour and blame it on market forces.

Going by your posting, Market Rate is suppose/encouraged to be $100/hour. So why are you paying only half ( or lower ) than what you, yourself is encouraging others to do?
    Oh..., because of MARKET RATE? But you already state that the Market Rate is lower than what you classified as cheap labour. Why should you go down to that level if you don't agreed to it? Since you WANT TO and you ENCOURAGE the market to go towards that direction, why are you NOT PRACTISING WHAT YOU PREACH? Can talk the talk but can't walk the walk?

A true professional who hope to lead, engcourage and project himself as a Market Leading Professional, will stand up to what he said, if he said that $100/hour is the market rate that he wants to pay and he encourage the market to go in that direction, than he should back up his words by paying that rate regardless of what the present rates are since he don't agreed with it.

The only thing which I'll agreed with you is, Yes, many will think you're a fool for paying $40-$50/hour, but for different reasons.
    If comprehension is something you are lacking, then i'll excuse your lack of understanding in my wordings and analogies.

But if you understood, and did NOT take the whole context of my words, sentences and its meaning, but wrote it according to what you wanted other to viewed it as your biased opinioned writings, then i am sad for you and those who are mis-led into reading the wrong meanings.

I would like any neutral observer 's input on these ... thank you.

What i posted is my opinion of how i feel abt ur work. Tell me which line u feel i attacked u.

Ur work is not good enough, IMO.

To: yqt

I have offered smurfman ( and his team / company - including you ) to work with / collaborate before, but if things doesn't materialised, doesn't mean i am against you nor anybody.

It is becos of respect i have for smurfman or whosever ( photographers ) that i have approached before ... but if there are no result, doesn't mean i am sore or i 'll be your competitor, enemy, etc.

Basically i felt that an good opportunity is lost -- maybe mine maybe yours, that's all.

having said that, many a times, when i am approached for wedding jobs, which i am not avail, i have actually pointed my customers to your company for services ... even mentioning specific people to look for ... i have never asked for anything, becos i believe in reciprocal help, too, when the time come ... if ever.

Last edited by Enchanted; 8th June 2007 at 01:19 PM.

If comprehension is something you are lacking, then i'll excuse your lack of understanding in my wordings and analogies.

But if you understood, and did NOT take the whole context of my words, sentences and its meaning, but wrote it according to what you wanted other to viewed it as your biased opinioned writings, then i am sad for you and those who are mis-led into reading the wrong meanings.

I would like any neutral observer 's input on these ... thank you.
    THIS IS WHAT YOU POSTED:

"Anyway, subjectivity on Ones' photo works is fine, but attacking and tarnishing One's personality, traits and name is another matter ..."
    "But if you understood, and did NOT take the whole context of my words, sentences and its meaning, but wrote it according to what you wanted other to viewed it as your biased opinioned writings, then i am sad for you and those who are mis-led into reading the wrong meanings. "

In your first posting you were not too happy about people " attacking and tarnishing One's personality, traits and name ".

Than you suggest that I may have understood you but crafted my posting in my own " biased opinioned writings " and this may have misled others.

Are these sentences not a personnal attach on my personality? You mentioned that " but wrote it according to what you wanted other to viewed it as your biased opinioned writings " Are you saying that I've twisted the facts? This is waht I've said:

I said that since you want to pay $100/hour and this is the direction you encourage the market to go. Why are you paying $40-$50 and blame it on Market Rate? If that is what you want to pay and what you encourage the market to pay, why are you not doing it? My opinion is that
    " A true professional who hope to lead, engcourage and project himself as a Market Leading Professional, will stand up to what he said, if he said that $100/hour is the market rate that he wants to pay and he encourage the market to go in that direction, than he should back up his words by paying that rate regardless of what the present rates are since he don't agreed with it. "

If that is a strong conviction than stand up to it regardless of what other may think.

A thread that go d**n wrong... Mod, please...

Please re-read what i have written. period.

"Professional jealousy is meaningless and counter-productive, it will only cut you and set you back 2 stops." -- NickGoh, 2007

I am inspired again ...

To: yqt

I have offered smurfman ( and his team / company - including you ) to work with / collaborate before, but if things doesn't materialised, doesn't mean i am against you nor anybody.

It is becos of respect i have for smurfman or whosever ( photographers ) that i have approached before ... but if there are no result, doesn't mean i am sore or i 'll be your competitor, enemy, etc.

Basically i felt that an good opportunity is lost -- maybe mine maybe yours, that's all.

having said that, many a times, when i am approached for wedding jobs, which i am not avail, i have actually pointed my customers to your company for services ... even mentioning specific people to look for ... i have never asked for anything, becos i believe in reciprocal help, too, when the time come ... if ever.

You approched smurfman, and on our part, we have not even start to consider it at the studio's level yet. The meeting at our studio is just meant to see if it would be possible for us to work together. To cut a long story short, things did not work out and we parted with respect as photographers and as businessman. No love lost and not enemy made. You're not the first who approch us and we've kept in good contact with all till date.

It is out of respect for you that I don't post straight away when I read something from you which I don't agreed on. I only counter when I feel that your info may give newbies a wrong imperssion of professional photographers or if I feel very strongly about.
    It's only today, when I read your post #82 which I feel strongly about that I've countered your posting. You may chose to stand by your post, but I'll stand by mine. My purpose here is just to point out things which I feel is, IMO not the only view. The readers here decide for themself.

Please re-read what i have written. period.

"Professional jealousy is meaningless and counter-productive, it will only cut you and set you back 2 stops." -- NickGoh, 2007

I am inspired again ...
    Talking to me? You must be joking for me to be jealous of you, especially when advertising and not wedding is my main paymaster.

Remember? we were the ones who turn you down.
    Last edited by yqt; 8th June 2007 at 02:06 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast