View Poll Results: How much to do you charge for actual wedding day services?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • $300 and below

14 7.18%
  • $301 to $500

22 11.28%
  • $501 to $700

33 16.92%
  • $701 and $800

26 13.33%
  • $801 to $1200

46 23.59%
  • $1201 and above

54 27.69%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kweehonjin
    One either sells on quality/style or on price....

Sell based on price and they will always be someone cheaper than you.

Sell based on quality and if the prospective client likes your stuff, price is usually not an issue...
    well said

Thank goodness it is not my rice bowl
    But even if it is my rice bowl, I will not go lower that a certain price,
    (unless it is for family or close friends) it becomes not worth the time.
    I would rather spend the time with my family or shooting for myself.

Sell based on quality and if the prospective client likes your stuff, price is usually not an issue...
    Hi kweehonjin

Agreed.

Hi all,
    On the top, the air is fresher, less competitors.

If you would charge above $3K, do you know how many persons you have to compete with? May be a handful only.

I have mention this before, charge whatever figure you like, as long you stay profitable (maybe not at the initial stage), increase you price along the way, until you meet you OWN price barrier, by that time you will know what to do liao.

I canít tell singscott or anyone the exact figure to start with. But the price range is very clear.

Hope this help.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    On the top, the air is fresher, less competitors.
    I guess that's also called talent, experience. Maybe with a dash of luck and networking.

Going to buy Toto....

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    I guess that's also called talent, experience. Maybe with a dash of luck and networking.

Going to buy Toto....
    Donít be discouraged, why donít set this as your goal?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Donít be discouraged, why donít set this as your goal?
    My goal is to win 2.8 mil. Hahaha....WLL.

Speaking as someone who is looking for a bridal boutique and a photographer to do a wedding studio shoot, I would say that it's not so much of the price, but the perceived value that one gets from the package. I've been looking at various packages and photographers, and I must admit that while the quality of the photographers are good, it's more of the style of preference. Of the various photograhers worked that we looked at, we were very impressed with only one. And this was also the most expensive package.

Last time i used to shoot for anyone for free...due to overwhelming response...now i only help my bro and sis-in-Christ in church weddings only.

Used to know a photographer who shoot for my friend's wedding.

Not only he is good in photography, he is also kinda entertaining.
    From morning till wedding dinner, he managed to make people laugh, all ages.

He is a natural born joker, i would say.
    Charges are reasonable. $800 a day.
    And we keep referring to him whenever we have friends/relative getting marry.

So, bsides having excellent photography skills....i guess also have the X-factor servicing the clients. Word of mouth is very impt.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceased
    Used to know a photographer who shoot for my friend's wedding.

Not only he is good in photography, he is also kinda entertaining.
    From morning till wedding dinner, he managed to make people laugh, all ages.

He is a natural born joker, i would say.
    Charges are reasonable. $800 a day.
    And we keep referring to him whenever we have friends/relative getting marry.

So, bsides having excellent photography skills....i guess also have the X-factor servicing the clients. Word of mouth is very impt.

yes, i admit word of mouth impt!! thus, every job must do it properly!

It seem the rates people are charging are around is $800-$1200, So people try to do every a flavour. Dun spoil market, this going to people charging from $300 to $600.

HI, like to know this.....do you take along an assistance for wedding shoots. i saw one shooting while another hold white reflective card to improve lighting in some outdoor wedding shoots. so ppl that charge 300-600, do you shoot alone??

Heard that it is now very common for freelance wedding Photgr from JB.
    S$300 to S$600 works out to be very attractive to them. Sad to say that many couples here tend to compare prices instead of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo
    Heard that it is now very common for freelance wedding Photgr from JB.
    S$300 to S$600 works out to be very attractive to them. Sad to say that many couples here tend to compare prices instead of quality.
    Farther more their standard of living, material and bussiness costs are so much lower then us.

Default How much do you charge for actual wedding day.

Hi there,

On those old time, perhaps 10 to 15 years ago, there is no DSLR, only film camera. Pros photographer charges for full day:

1. Minimun 6 rolls at $450 which include:
    Album, film and developing, numbering and arranging it nicely in the photo album.

2. Any additional rolls is charge at $60.

But somehow, as most of you mentioned, there are alway price undercutting to maintain one's business.

Those who cut prices are likely to be ( does not mean to offend anyone, simply quoting actual market condition on those time.)

1. beginners who wants to build portfolio
    2. those across the border because of exchange rate : $120 to $150 on service charge - wedding couple pay for album, film, processing and developing.

[SIZE=2]So base on the above forums, the markets remain the same.[/SIZE]

Perhaps, one skills and quality, with humour as someone mentioned, is still the best to get more jobs.

Why not set your own market niche at your own price range, back up with good portfolio to demonstrate your skill and quality.

One cannot serves all the market. One have to niche marketing. Be different and command your reputable price.

thanks to those who read my two cents worth of opinion.

Base on my first posting, AD charges with material for 300shot anything below $600 is way to low for a reasonly good photographer even he a new at wedding. There must be a mininum limit or all new comer will just under cut each other. Sadly we live in an enviroment couple think of budget first then creatively. If our price are close to each other then we can say that we won the client over by our creatively.

Blog Entries

I am guilty of charging $600, but it is without prints, is that OK?
    I am not too sure of the prices now, as I am a newbie again.

10 years ago it was a premium price, I have done $900 shoots but with prints,
    now I just give them a CD and point them to the right printing shop.

Let me know if that is OK or not and I will adjust my price.

Default Re: How much do you charge for actual day wedding

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    I am guilty of charging $600, but it is without prints, is that OK?
    I am not too sure of the prices now, as I am a newbie again.

10 years ago it was a premium price, I have done $900 shoots but with prints,
    now I just give them a CD and point them to the right printing shop.

Let me know if that is OK or not and I will adjust my price.
    Hey Ortega, I think the only way to know the right price is to work out your cost of doing business. If you have done the calculations carefully and you are not losing money on every shoot, then it will be ok. I'm personally not in favor of having a minimum price because it depends on each business and what business model the photographer has adopted. Pushing a photographer to price too high too fast can also destroy the business.

What worries me is when photographers haven't worked out CDB, set up shop and head down the wrong path very quickly and then ends up bankrupt or broke. Bad for the photographer bad for the industry.

Underchargers are present in all markets around the world. I think the only thing we can do is to really focus on our own business and make it the very best we can..and hopefully make some friends along the way and work together to make the industry better, so even if we never make millions to retire, we'll at least have lots of fun along the way.

I think someone needs to start a new poll with a wider range and higher end fees of SGD$8k-9k?

Kuang's right about finding and pitching the right fees, which does take a while to fine-tune because how much you price will also determine your target audience.

Pricing low is not the only business strategy, and I'm speaking from personal experience here. When my rates was half of my current rate, my takeup rate was really low - out of every 10 couples I met, only 1-2 signed up. Why? At the range of $900 for a wedding assignment, couples would rather get a $850.00 because it's $50 cheaper than you. Best part is, 9 out of 10 couples whom I met up aren't interested in your portfolio that you place in front of them during the meeting.

Thinking of charging low? Here are some facts to consider and every one of these are based on actual experiences:

1) For clients who are willing to pay $400-500 for wedding, it doesn't mean that their expectations are any lower than those paying $4000-5000. In fact, they would expect you to do everything for you, including shooting their dogs, cats, interior of their new house, everything that you can possibly think of.

2) Don't expect this client group to appreciate artistic /creative work from you. You try experimenting, you'll find that you'll start missing shots and that adds more bargaining chips on your clients table. Trust me, I've got couples who've outrightly told me things like "how come this one so dark?" "Can't see my face, this shot very important and how can you missed it?". They didn't even want that picture as one of their 300 x 4R album. Ironically, the very same shot got me an award 3 years later.

3) Referring to point 2, this would mean that you'll have a lot of difficulty defining your style because you'll have very little room. The first 3 years of my wedding assignments were basically shooting generic looking stuffs, and don't expect such portfolio to be able to command any higher fees. To put it simply, you'll be running around in circles.

But it did take me quite a while to figure out what's the best price to pitch, and my takeup rate now has moved from 20% (in early 2006) to about 80-90% couples who will sign up after meeting up.

Having said these, I'm pretty happy that underchargers are present in the market, because they keep the bargain hunters, and the problems related to them away from me

Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    2) Don't expect this client group to appreciate artistic /creative work from you. You try experimenting, you'll find that you'll start missing shots and that adds more bargaining chips on your clients table. Trust me, I've got couples who've outrightly told me things like "how come this one so dark?" "Can't see my face, this shot very important and how can you missed it?". They didn't even want that picture as one of their 300 x 4R album. Ironically, the very same shot got me an award 3 years later.
    I cannot disagree with you, I am facing this problem too. especially the 'Jincha' part. I took the gesture of their relative drinking the tea being served yet the couple complained why only take picture of their face drink the tea and do not include them in the picture. Like that how to know whose tea they were drinking? Was wondering is their wedding who else will serve them tea in their wedding then? Think I shall keep this photo and hopefully I get a award 3 years later

People who undercharge are mostly hobbyists who just want to earn a little pocket money or offset the costs of their equipment. They're not worried about profit margins because they're not running a business, so no point talking to them about whether it's worth it for them or not. Then there are those who claim XX shop charges $300 for full day photog. But they have to realise that $300 is usually an add-on to an existing wedding package, and many a times, the photography ain't great.

"Overcharging"? I don't believe there is such a thing either. Things are only expensive if you think it's not worth it. And that itself is relative. Therefore, the no. of pics itself, and how much freebies you throw in (and even the standard of your photography) are merely part of the equation. IMHO, PR skills is THE most important thing. If you're merely an average photog that comes across as a genuinely nice person that'll make the couple feel comfortable on that day, you're more than likely to get the job, compared to the talented l*o-l*n-kia.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast