Thread: Need help about Custom

Question Need help about Custom

When I bring lens or other camera stuffs from US or HK to SIN, do I need to pay the custom?

If yes, how can I avoid this thing? Throw the box and use a camera bag to carry?

Anyone has this experience?

Thanks in advance.

Deregistered

If the cost of the item you bought from that country is not > SGD$400 there's no GST charge, else you'll have to pay GST.

One way to avoid that is to throw away the box and carry the item back.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    If the cost of the item you bought from that country is not > SGD$400 there's no GST charge, else you'll have to pay GST.

One way to avoid that is to throw away the box and carry the item back.
    If I flaten the box and put it in the travelling bag, how can the customs officer to judge whether it is new or not?

If the only way is throwing away the box, I must to throw away it to avoid the 5%GST of $1300.

I mail the whole box through cheap slow mail. Then go to custom with the item telling them that are tools of my trade which I am not lieing

since u are going to send it via mail, might as well label as gift or sample... save the hassle to go there & declare... tried a few times... most items just send straight thru... cos when its a gift, who knows the value? den ppl give u things still need to subject to unknown GST? kinda funny rite...

but i would say... its quite safe to just put in a hand carry luggage bag, den bring it back via air... just dun overdo it by buying 10 of the same lens... if its personal stuff, they dun normally check...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Thanks all.