Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Cheaper lens?

  1. #1

    Default Cheaper lens?

    Artworkfoto, dd electronics, Techno Gadgets

    I generally found that they are selling lens at a lower price as compared to the usual camera shop.
    Does that mean that they carry grey sets only?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cheaper lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33 View Post
    Artworkfoto, dd electronics, Techno Gadgets

    I generally found that they are selling lens at a lower price as compared to the usual camera shop.
    Does that mean that they carry grey sets only?
    Yes. When they say "shop warranty" you know it's a gray set.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Cheaper lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Yes. When they say "shop warranty" you know it's a gray set.
    Okay..
    This question lingers in my mind..

    I buy 1 grey set, I get 1 yr shop warranty. I buy original, I also get 1 yr local warranty.
    Touch wood, encounter some defects on the grey set, sent to authorized service center to repair. Pay for the repair cost.
    Under shop warranty, I should be able get reimbursement from the original shop.

    So, would it worth getting a grey set since it is offered at a much lower in price?
    The risk here would be
    1) Not be able to claim back whatever I pay for the repair cost?
    2) Different product manufacturer? ( I doubt so)
    3) More troublesome since has to deal with more parties

    Please share your thoughts on this.

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cheaper lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33 View Post
    Okay..
    This question lingers in my mind..

    I buy 1 grey set, I get 1 yr shop warranty. I buy original, I also get 1 yr local warranty.
    Touch wood, encounter some defects on the grey set, sent to authorized service center to repair. Pay for the repair cost.
    Under shop warranty, I should be able get reimbursement from the original shop.

    So, would it worth getting a grey set since it is offered at a much lower in price?
    The risk here would be
    1) Not be able to claim back whatever I pay for the repair cost?
    2) Different product manufacturer? ( I doubt so)
    3) More troublesome since has to deal with more parties

    Please share your thoughts on this.

    Thanks!
    Some potential problems:
    1. grey lens seller say it is accidental or wear and tear. Not covered.
    2. grey lens seller go out of business.
    3. grey lens seller cannot be contacted.

    Then how? Since you get warranty repair covered only if they give you the go-ahead BEFORE the repairs are done. If no news you have to wait wait wait...

    So you have to gauge yourself.
    If the lens cost $500 local warranty, grey is $420. Will you still buy grey?
    If lens cost $3000 local warranty, and grey is $2800. Will you still buy grey?
    Give you another example, local tamron lenses now enjoy 5 year warranty. For $80 savings on a Tamron 17-50/2.8 for example... will you buy a grey set that only gives you 1 year shop warranty?
    In the end, it is up to your own tolerance to the calculated risk.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th June 2012 at 06:21 PM.

  5. #5
    Member fmeeran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Sigma on the other hand... :-)
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

  6. #6

    Default Re: Cheaper lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran View Post
    Sigma on the other hand... :-)
    Coz sigma offer only 1 yr warranty which would be similar to the length of shop warranty ehh?

    Price difference btw grey and and local is $200+...i'm talking abt 17-50mm

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cheaper lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33 View Post
    Coz sigma offer only 1 yr warranty which would be similar to the length of shop warranty ehh?

    Price difference btw grey and and local is $200+...i'm talking abt 17-50mm
    Local Sigma warranty is 2.5 years. And only local sets get 2 free focus calibration for the lifespan of the lens.

    If you buy grey, or even if you buy an international warranty set, you will have to pay for every focus calibration ($180) each time.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 13th June 2012 at 07:19 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Cheaper lens?

    For me.

    I only buy first hand and only at authorized shops with local warranty (If not make sure there is international warranty)
    More ex..but save me all the trouble, risk and worry.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Cheaper lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Local Sigma warranty is 2.5 years. And only local sets get 2 free focus calibration for the lifespan of the lens.

    If you buy grey, or even if you buy an international warranty set, you will have to pay for every focus calibration ($180) each time.
    Great..this is informative..
    Is every len required callibration upon purchase?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Cheaper lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33 View Post
    Great..this is informative..
    Is every len required callibration upon purchase?
    1. There is no "len".
    2. Nope.
    Alpha

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33
    Artworkfoto, dd electronics, Techno Gadgets

    I generally found that they are selling lens at a lower price as compared to the usual camera shop.
    Does that mean that they carry grey sets only?
    Tamron gives 5 years warranty for 17-50 for authorized seller with free 2 calibration , but my friend told me that grey set are not accepted for repair by nikon , canon and tamron and sigma is this true?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Cheaper lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by uragon82 View Post
    Tamron gives 5 years warranty for 17-50 for authorized seller with free 2 calibration , but my friend told me that grey set are not accepted for repair by nikon , canon and tamron and sigma is this true?
    As stated in the many other "grey set" lenses, of course they will accept it for repair - but not under warranty. So you can't get the free service, you must pay as if the lens is out of warranty.

    I think your friend does not know what "warranty" actually means.
    Alpha

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cheaper lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33 View Post
    Great..this is informative..
    Is every len required callibration upon purchase?
    nope. Only if the lens exhibits front or back focusing problems.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •