Thread: Photography Jobs Grow On Trees

Default Photography Jobs Grow On Trees

Great, succinct article on business building (not just for photography):

Photography Jobs Grow on Trees

Punggol, Singapore

Default Re: Photography Jobs Grow On Trees

Thanks for sharing.

it is a good read for lunch time and I share the same sentiment with the author.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot | iStock portfolio

Singapore, Singapore, Singapor

Nice article... Good food for thoughts!

A good read for general knowledge but I find it doesnt apply to local scene. Which seems to be the direct opposite - there are fewer people wanting to assist and learn and get at least adept and competent before they start, and there are way more people wanting to jump in and anyhow do.

Surfing Facebook now I just saw an old classmate bringing her family for 'studio shoot' maybe it's groupon but those photos are BAD so bad that I would be ashamed to call those photos, much less studio photos.

And locally there are no "photo reps'. They exist in the west like agencies taking a cut of the photogrs earnings but locally most photogrs are already too underpaid and overcrowded.

For those who are really good but still hiding, by all means don't wait too long.

Thanks for sharing. A lot of it has truth in it.

People want results (getting paid) but unwilling to spend time walking the journey.

I don't mind helping them selling their work to potential clients but I can't help if they themselves don't help themselves by showing me the right type of work.

There is no true photo reps here in Singapore, but if you may, think about someone like myself as your reps if you can show me sufficient work to market you to potential clients.

The truth is, one may be great with photography, one might not have any clue to find clients who will pay for their work.

The whole idea of living working as photographer is a vehicle to ensure your ends are met. One thing I learn before is, if you are not capable or if someone is better than you in doing certain thing, let them do it for you. Be the greatest artist, when you have all your basic needs satisfied. I hate the term hungry artist and I admire artist who are well fed.

Truth to be told, you can only sell, when you have something to sell... that is your photography.

Many bought a camera and jump right in.... but I will ask, what are you trying to sell?

I said this many many times, new photographer or season photographer need to continue to sharpen their vision to plan their seeds... many business fail (including those that exist for a long time) not because, they are not capable, but they sit in their comfort zone and stop planting the seeds.

To grow a business, you need to keep doing things that remotely is going to help you in the long run...

Never feel that you have enough job now and being contented and worst become cocky... There are a lot more things that need to be done to ensure future growth.

If you want to work for someone, think about why they would take you on... what is your selling point?
    If you want to work for yourself, think about what you have done and what will you do and where you are heading to?

If you are assisting or be your own boss, or working for someone, it pays to give 110% every time since you always brag about how much you love photography...

Two of his points struck me the most, 'planting seeds' and 'shooting new work'.

Planting seeds -- not every potential client is ready to hire you the moment you meet them. They may not have a job for you at the moment, may need a little time to get around to using you, or may even go for another photographer/studio. It's imperative to keep in contact, on good terms and keep yourself on their radar so that when the time comes, you'll be considered. You really have to sow before you reap, and sometimes you only reap much later!

His point about shooting new work got me thinking -- every time I've turned a hobby into a profession, the 'hobby' part has waned. Electronics, writing & photography have followed the same pattern for me - enthusiastic amateur to jaded professional. Each time I needed to make a conscious effort to get into 'enthusiast mode' again. In photography, I recently started shooting things for myself again, for fun. Night shots at the river, street scenes at Little India ... that kind of thing. Unrelated to work, and exercising my creative muscles.