Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Mac mini - Wow!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Got screwdriver, got guts can go places.
    Look at the bottom pic - http://www.apple.com/macmini/design.html - potential for lots of broken plastic retention prongs

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    Look at the bottom pic - http://www.apple.com/macmini/design.html - potential for lots of broken plastic retention prongs
    It's not as bad as you think... hehehe

well that again, for photoshop we know it does swapping of data on harddisk. In PC, some may have seperate ide channels and harddisk for the swapping. Cannot be implemented into Mini so photoshop may not have much gain.

Quote Originally Posted by forbytes
    well that again, for photoshop we know it does swapping of data on harddisk. In PC, some may have seperate ide channels and harddisk for the swapping. Cannot be implemented into Mini so photoshop may not have much gain.
    yet another excuse... WHY NOT?

I was using a PowerBook as my ONLY machine for the past few years. For PS Swap? I used an external Firewire drive, works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    yet another excuse... WHY NOT?

I was using a PowerBook as my ONLY machine for the past few years. For PS Swap? I used an external Firewire drive, works pretty well.
    To clearify, I am not using it as an excuse to discourage people from joining the Mac group. It is good you mention the use of a external firewire drive for that purpose. No doubt it does the work reasonable well. For new-comers, maybe they can consider this option and factor in some $$$ as well. No offence, just a concern.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I offer to help oso.
    jsbn & madmacs --> <-- nw75

as much as i love the design of mini-mac, can't change over at home becos my wife needs a Wintel. MOE designed everything ard IE and MsOffice. she can't get into her secure mail server from home using my PB or even mozilla on PC. must be IE.
    Last edited by nightwolf75; 12th January 2005 at 03:00 PM.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Hmm.... Dat's weird.

If Safari fails, there's always Netscape to fall back on.
    Alternatively u can always use *shudder* IE...

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    The loud *piak piak piak* sound when removing the backing will scare all but the most hardcore strippers...

Erm... Do I sound a little R(A) there?

Quote Originally Posted by forbytes
    very limited games to play... more of a productivity machine...
    Depends on wad games u wanna play. There are Mac versions too. I suppose u noe that

Let's play FM Still got quite a few. Games more and more been converted into Mac platform. That is encouraging. I keep myself busy with PS, matlab and imovie.
    Last edited by forbytes; 12th January 2005 at 02:54 PM.

Nowadays I oso rarely play games on my G3 oso. Partly becos quite slow... hehehe...

These dayz, reach home, fire up mail, safari, ICQ terminal and Photoshop CS.

Somehow games dun appeal to u when u grow older...

I'm looking at getting a entry-level iBook at $1899 (I think)... so when I saw this new iMac Mini I was naturally very excited. Somemore the price is quite attractive... then I realized that with a LCd screen the price is going up quite a bit... about $1500 with a 15" LCD screen would be about right...

If you're looking for a cool home computer and don't have much space on your desk, this is great. But then... thinking again... you probably won't put it on your desk if space is a question right? Then if you leave it on the floor or somewhere else, why not get a Shuttle?

Comparing $1500 for the mini and $1899 for the iBook, I figured I'd still get the latter for the smaller desktop space taken and mobility factor. The only drawback is the small 12.1" compared to the 15" screen I can get with the mini, and the fact that the iBook costs $399 more. Am I right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    I'm looking at getting a entry-level iBook at $1899 (I think)... so when I saw this new iMac Mini I was naturally very excited. Somemore the price is quite attractive... then I realized that with a LCd screen the price is going up quite a bit... about $1500 with a 15" LCD screen would be about right...

If you're looking for a cool home computer and don't have much space on your desk, this is great. But then... thinking again... you probably won't put it on your desk if space is a question right? Then if you leave it on the floor or somewhere else, why not get a Shuttle?

Comparing $1500 for the mini and $1899 for the iBook, I figured I'd still get the latter for the smaller desktop space taken and mobility factor. The only drawback is the small 12.1" compared to the 15" screen I can get with the mini, and the fact that the iBook costs $399 more. Am I right?
    2 different products for 2 different purposes. ibook or PB are for people who want to use on the road. mini-mac is for home-use, tho with its small size and light weight, argueably u can carry it on the road provided u have a LCD and KB setup at ur destination.

me? i would buy the mini-mac if circumstances allow. u can use it right out of box without any much setup, unlike winXP. the specs are very suitable for surfing and normal word processing. bump up the RAM and u can do PS and/or video.

just saw the news abt the mini-mac... sooooo cool....
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Droool... I think I've found the replacement for my 1st generation flat-panel iMac...

Only thing holding me back is that it's still just a G4 processor... hmmm... mebbe I shld wait for the G5 version to be rolled out...
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

honestly, this is "Cube" with a vengence. Apple was right with the Cube, just not the timing. The iMac was correct. I think there wouldn't be anymore e-mac, dont see e need.

The Mac Mini is AWESOME cept for upgradability. Tt's e only price u pay. With iLife 05 & OS 10.4 in it, it's the best & most affordable system u'll ever get. Honestly, this will make a perfect system for your kids or as a secondary pc. this is one desktop that u can slip it into ur bag and bring it to office!

honestly, i can live w/o a pc today. the softwares i use on windows are made much much much better on the mac. seriously...

if u need help locating softwares or need some demo. feel free to PM me. i'm most willingly to help u.

the only reason i use a pc now, becoz my course needs me to write VB programs & i play games. tt's all!

now it's made so affordable, u peepz shld really try a mac system.

Dunch say u got 1st Gen Flat Panel iMac leh... My one is still the G3 Polka Dot CRT iMac... If u need to change den my one can bang head liao....

Anyway, think I'll be aiming for it... Along with a 20" Cinema Display. The Cinema Display boasts higher resolution and of cos, come the day when I need to upgrade to a PowerMac, I dun need so headache think about da display.

Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths
    The Mac Mini is AWESOME cept for upgradability. Tt's e only price u pay. With iLife 05 & OS 10.4 in it, it's the best & most affordable system u'll ever get. Honestly, this will make a perfect system for your kids or as a secondary pc. this is one desktop that u can slip it into ur bag and bring it to office!
    Upgradability wise... I'd disagree with you on that. "Got screwdriver can go places." hehehe... All it takes is juz a philips screwdriver, your guts and instincts.

now it's made so affordable, u peepz shld really try a mac system.
    What are u guyz waiting for? So many testimonies from Mac Users liao!

BUY BUY BUY

whoa... cool... BUT... theres no upgrade options like those of the G4-G5 platforms...

but.. very very cool design and a very very budget price.. and since it going from 499, and u can actualli get a 20 inch apple cinema monitor at 1688 using the poly student's ID....

hehehhe.. cHEAp cheAP !!

BUY ! BUY ! BUY !

Don't get the ram from Apple. Just get the base unit and go to sim lim 2nd floor and look for SGL Mkt. Ask them to put it in. You'll save a few hundred on the memory alone. Better yet get the mini from SGL. Don't want to say how much you can save here.

looks like this one will be my next purchase liao... good value for money

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast