Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Mac mini - Wow!!

Blog Entries

using xe.com website

USD499 ~ SGD818.510

so, add in a couple of hundred for GST etc... mebbe street price for the basic setup, we might be looking at $1k+?

throw in an airport extreme card for abt $200+, another $300+ (from SLS) to up the RAM - all in all, mebbe we have to spend $1.5-$1.6K? still cheaper than most PCs out there, and ibook 12" too!
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.” ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    eh? what exchange rate are you using?

US$1 : S$1.65 approx ... making US$499 ~ S$824

Anyway, this Mac mini would hook up to my LCD monitor (which has two inputs) and since its so small, can be placed almost anywhere on/under the desk (maybe even on top of my existing PC and with a USB/FW hub so that I can plug in peripherals easily).

I can just about visualise the Mac mini living side-by-side with my PC ...
    Dump Windows on your PC. Go Linux. Maybe it'll look nicer side-by-side. hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    using xe.com website

USD499 ~ SGD818.510

so, add in a couple of hundred for GST etc... mebbe street price for the basic setup, we might be looking at $1k+?

throw in an airport extreme card for abt $200+, another $300+ (from SLS) to up the RAM - all in all, mebbe we have to spend $1.5-$1.6K? still cheaper than most PCs out there, and ibook 12" too!
    If u're looking at a 20" Cinema Display den it'll be different case liao.

Wadda waiting for?

BUY BUY BUY

Hai.. apple very bad. always tempt us.
    When you purchase the mac mini, very soon, you will want to purchase the 20 or 23 inch display to complete the mac experience... then you would want to go wireless keyboard, wireless mouse.. then then then then.....

Blog Entries

Does anyone know if the 1.42Ghz PowerPC G4 processor, coupled with 512MB memory, will be enough to do some rudimentary video editing - eg basic transfer from DV-cam to computer, edit/shorten clips, add titles, fades, burn to DVD.

The final conversion/burn process is not too much of a concern, more of the actual transfer & edit/shorten, titling process.

Hmm... it's pretty cheap for the machine but need to factor in the software oso....So maybe alittle bit higher. Nevertheless, it's still worth it...

Does anyone know if the 1.42Ghz PowerPC G4 processor, coupled with 512MB memory, will be enough to do some rudimentary video editing - eg basic transfer from DV-cam to computer, edit/shorten clips, add titles, fades, burn to DVD.

The final conversion/burn process is not too much of a concern, more of the actual transfer & edit/shorten, titling process.
    Shouldnt be a problem. I used to do it on my powerbook 1.5ghz with 512mb RAM. Not too sure if you could do it with photoshop and itunes and opened at the same time though.

sure... it's in a way is a repackage PowerBook G4 without the screen.

Some more RAM will help a lot IMHO.

BTW, the new iPhoto does RAW processing now as well... and for almost all format... ^^

This one is a home run, with the flash iPod.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    Shouldnt be a problem. I used to do it on my powerbook 1.5ghz with 512mb RAM. Not too sure if you could do it with photoshop and itunes and opened at the same time though.
    Thanks! I am definitely a serial-tasker here ... if comp is doing video stuff, won't be doing other things (i can always open my laptop or fire up the other PC).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    Some more RAM will help a lot IMHO.
    Definitely agree with you here, but the prices Apple SG are charging (almost S$800 to upgrade to 1GB) is outrageous when the same memory (PC2700 333MHz) can be found for less than S$350 outside - only issue is the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    nah! got my 2nd-hand PB already. will only consider this when my Dell PC goes kaput.

however, its a big big headache looking for mac versions of the software i'm using now. i just found out last nite dat my optik verve plugins only work for win version of PS not mac.

need help to kaput your dell?

the prices listed on the singapore apple store website are inclusive of gst.

I am supplementing what I know to answer some of the queries that PC users have before making a switch.

Can I use my existing monitor/LCD?
    Yes, the onboard VGA is a DVI interface and can be plug into existing LCD monitors without problems. For CRT, there is a cable to switch DVI to VGA no problems at all. Of coz can connect to Video splitter via VGA. There is no DVI video splitter that I know off at this time. If there is please let me know.

So I can use KVM with Mac Mini?
    Not exactly, because Mac's keyboard and mouse are all USB. So unless your KVM except USB interface, otherwise it is not going to work. Currently there are some adaptors for PS/2 (which is common on KVM) to USB. That may work. This one is a USB KVM. Click here

Wow, the mini is nice but the ram isn't.
    Well, you can customise the package. The ram module is from what I read from other forums can only be fitted by Apple Service center. The ram you can customise are 512MB and 1GB, the 512MB cost around $170+ extra while the 1GB cost $700+ extra. More ram is certainly welcome expecially for digital media work like photography and video-editing. If you intend to run Virtual PC for Mac, it is good to have more ram.

The price is cheap, but can it be even cheaper?
    Yes, if you are a student/teacher/MOE staff, you are entitle for discounts of $50 off the listed price. Valid only but online at Apple . Need to produce proof. Ram upgrades and other add-on have individual discounts.

What are the things I can upgrade myself?
    Anything that is external and can be connect via firewire or USB. Do note that there are only 2 USB ports for Mini and would be used up by keyboard and mouse already. Consider firewire if possible. Or hubs.

What are the things I can customise inside the box?
    Ram (up to 1 GB), harddisk (up to 80 GB), Superdrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) and wireless (bluetooth, Airport).

Is it worth it?
    This question is very subjective. But in my opinion, it comes with Mac OS. Very aggresively priced.

Any other things you want to tell me?
    Yes, Apple always have apple extended warranty period. For mini, it cost $249.90 for 3 year warranty. You decide for yourself whether you want to get this or not.

If any of the information is wrong please PM me and I will make amendments ASAP. Sorry for any misunderstanding caused, if any.
    Last edited by forbytes; 12th January 2005 at 02:09 PM.

Madmacs frequently mac user forums often and he is most certainly able to answer many questions anyone may raise.

Definitely agree with you here, but the prices Apple SG are charging (almost S$800 to upgrade to 1GB) is outrageous when the same memory (PC2700 333MHz) can be found for less than S$350 outside - only issue is the installation.
    Now, since where a hardware manufacturer charge cheap for memory? Look at how much SUN, or IBM charge for RAM.

oops, was wrong abt RAM, think it's normal size PC2700 333MHz instead of SO-DIMM... then it's cheap to go 1GB.
    Last edited by oeyvind; 12th January 2005 at 01:39 PM.

i dunno if this crap is worth it...

when G4 Cube came out...it WAS the THING to beat/buy...then it just VANISHED! because of wierd faults...there's a few thing missing from that small wonder which i think the eMac and iMac have.

to me, it's like a mini iBook minus the screen! abt buying it? not sure...really not sure if it'll turn out to be CRAP like the CUBE part 2.
    blog: inbloomphotos.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by khairi
    i dunno if this crap is worth it...

when G4 Cube came out...it WAS the THING to beat/buy...then it just VANISHED! because of wierd faults...there's a few thing missing from that small wonder which i think the eMac and iMac have.

to me, it's like a mini iBook minus the screen! abt buying it? not sure...really not sure if it'll turn out to be CRAP like the CUBE part 2.
    Plain simple, the Cube failed because it was TOO EXPENSIVE at USD1799 onwards

This one is not, in fact it's the cheapest Mac ever mad—from USD499.

And this one can even be sold as an iPod accessory to some folks.
    Last edited by oeyvind; 12th January 2005 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rayz
    Hmm... it's pretty cheap for the machine but need to factor in the software oso....So maybe alittle bit higher. Nevertheless, it's still worth it...
    Software? *cough cough cough*

Got screwdriver, got guts can go places.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    need help to kaput your dell?
    I offer to help oso.

very limited games to play... more of a productivity machine...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast