Thread: German "photographer" has questions regarding Singapore

Red face German "photographer" has questions regarding Singapore

Hey there,

I'm Ben from Germany Berlin (So I'm not that fluent in English, please don't mind). I'll come to Singapore this August to study at the NBS for one year. As it's time to pack my bag very soon, I'm asking myself what I should and should not take with me to Singapore. I'm shooting both film and digital, but I don't know if film is still popular in Singapore (even though there are some information about it on the net and in this forum). I was not able to find a list of photo-labs showing their prices. So my first question: How much does it cost to get a c41 film developed and scanned (high res scan) in Singapore ?

My second question:

I'm still shooting with my first DSLR (a nikon D5000) - and I kinda start to not like it anymore. I'm thinking about getting a "bigger" cam. I'm not that sure if it would be the best to buy one in Germany or in Singapore/Asia. As there is nothing like "amazon.com" in Singapore, I can not find a website to compare prices :/. I'd be very happy to know a good shop-page to do so !

Third: Just two pics from my last shoot, so you know what my style looks like.

Greetings from Germany,

Ben

Default Re: German "photographer" has questions regarding Singapore

Welcome to Clubsnap.
    and welcome to Singapore in advance.

replies to your:

First question;

Processing plus Scan to CD of 35mm film should be around S$10, please call the labs to find out more.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/mediu...g-offered.html

Second question;

the local price of Nikon gears, price list of other brands can be found at Price Guides

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/price...09-2011-a.html

and again, you can email or call the stores to check out the latest price too.

Third;
    Cool, that is refreshing, you can post more at http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/portraits-poses/ to share with us.

Hope this help, I'm sure other members will fill in what I have miss out.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

welcome to clubsnap and welcome to singapore. i believe all your questions have been answered by moderator above... and i like your headshot. looks cool.

And don't forget, if you bring your lenses here, you need a Dry Cabinet. Ansonsten verschimmeln dir die linsen hier.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    And don't forget, if you bring your lenses here, you need a Dry Cabinet. Ansonsten verschimmeln dir die linsen hier.
    how come you don't have that looks or that physique?

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Hey everybody, thanks for your quick reply and useful comments! I have never heard of a dry cabinet before ! I'll try to buy a cheap one in Singapore. (Ich will nämlich nicht, dass meine Linsen schimmeln wie der Käse auf dem Brot!) Another German member wrote me a PM... he said it's cheap to buy camera gear in Bangkok. Is there a limit to what I can bring from Bangkok or Hongkong or would I have to pay extra taxes?

Greetings from Germany,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    how come you don't have that looks or that physique?
    Why? You have a crush on that model?

What's in front of the camera is rarely a mirror of what's behind... Unless you're Keiko-chan and shooting XMM!
    Alpha

yes, bringing in new camera gears from overseas back to SNG will get u gst tax of 7%
    another way is to remove them from boxes and carry them with u in a camera bag, fold the boxes up and put them in another bag. u might still get tax if the inspect, so jus discard them if boxes r not important to u

u hv international warranty for lenses, but not for camera bodies
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

Theoretically, you have to pay taxes in singapore as well as in germany ( GST in singapore, import duty and get in germany).
    But I carried at least 50.000 US$ in camera equipment around the world in the last years , to buy for me or for others , so far, I never had any problem, just put the equipment in your camera bag ( yes , unpacked without the boxes).And yes, due to the high humidity in singapore , you have to use dry boxes to store your equipment. Otherwise , you get fungus on the glass. But when you only visit here and travel around, thats not a problem. Fungus takes some time to develop. If you intend to move here, you can not let you camera equipment stay in a camera bag for several month , otherwise you get fungus.
    Last edited by Achim Reh; 12th June 2012 at 10:03 AM.

Well I will stay in Singapore for about nine month - and another three month in China, Thailand and or Japan (depends on how long my savings will last). I guess that means I will have to buy a dry box. And I'm thinking about a thirsty hippo to put in my bag.

I don't care about boxes - so I'll try to buy some gear around Asia and just get rid of the boxes! I will bring about 40 rolls of film with me -hopefully they will survive the flight!

A fellow film shooter I see! Welcome to singapore, the analog community is quite happening around here, do join us for outings and etc if time permits

Quote Originally Posted by Nashi View Post
    Well I will stay in Singapore for about nine month - and another three month in China, Thailand and or Japan (depends on how long my savings will last). I guess that means I will have to buy a dry box. And I'm thinking about a thirsty hippo to put in my bag.

I don't care about boxes - so I'll try to buy some gear around Asia and just get rid of the boxes! I will bring about 40 rolls of film with me -hopefully they will survive the flight!
    It's best to have a dry box here. A basic one (depending on the amount of gears you will be bringing, and the size of your gears) would be under SGD$200, and you can sell it off here at the "Buy and Sell" market when you are about to leave. The level of humidity here is unbelievable, better to be safe than sorry!

Blog Entries

if you're constantly on the move for 12 months , you dont need a dry box ..... just leave the equipment on top of a table (under a bulb if you really have to) before you go to bed each evening instead of leaving it in the camera bag

my regular go-to camera and lens has not seen the inside of a dry box in more than 19 months of regular use and its still fine
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by Nashi View Post

For carrying films when I travel, I just pack them into clear bags and hand-carry them. Most hand-carry luggage scanners are film-safe. (I have not encountered issues yet) If it really bothers you, you can take the films out and request the whole bag and not pass your films through the scanner.

I've a small (40L) dry-cabi for the more precious gears and a huge drawer (which I put thirsty-hippo) that I store my plastic/toy cameras etc.. No issues thus far.