Thread: Which of the Leica M-series is most suited for street photos?

Default Which of the Leica M-series is most suited for street photos?

Hi all, of late planning to get a Leica M-series to use on street photography, any suggestion? Thanks

Default Re: Which of the Leica M-series is most suited for street photos?

Since they all look the same, they can all perform the same. Up to you if you want APS-C or full frame or film.

Quite frankly, it does not matter if you shoot with Leica or Nokia if your basic skill CMI.
    Alpha

don't blow your money on an expensive camera just because a lot of pros use Leica for street photography.

it's not the camera, but skill. if you know how to do it, you'll be able to shoot even with a mobile phone camera just like what Rashkae mentioned.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven W View Post
    Hi all, of late planning to get a Leica M-series to use on street photography, any suggestion? Thanks
    It's not about the hardware...

For me, I have to have a "fast" lens with focal length or range I'm using.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Given that you asked such a question, I hope you know that it is manual focus regardless of which M series model you are using. Manual focus means that you have to make all the decision and that translates to how skillful you are. If you are good, I am sure any M Series will suit you and you will do greate justice to the hardware you hold in your hand.

For me, I can never shoot a street scene up close. As such, none of the M series works for me. I suck big time when it comes to street photography.

Thanks all for the good advice.

Some of the older Leicas have very small viewfinder windows. I think you are better off asking this in the RF section.

BTW, what is the attracting feature of using a RF over another system? (ie. SLR, DSLR, MILC, serious compacts)

With rangefinders, you need to be comfortable with the focusing system as well as with manual focusing.
    Many folks use pre-focusing and zone focus to get over the need to MF fast or eliminate the need of focusing altogether.