Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Olympus XZ-1

  1. #1

    Default Olympus XZ-1

    Am considering to purchase this cam. seems to have raving reviews on how good the 1.8f lens is. however, some reviews did highlight their inability to take low light photos. anyone with this cam can advice? for example, during clubbing how will the cam fare with low lights and fast movement?

    another thing, seems like there are accessories to change the lens to fit a wide-angle or fish-eye lens? but i do not see or hear a anyone talking abt it? is the kit lens really sufficient?

    Many thanks.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Olympus XZ-1

    Got to clarify first....XZ-1 is not a DSLR/Mirrorless/.. .. It's a Point and Shoot (P&S)

    Low light and fast movements shots are almost always a challenge... As you face at least the focusing issue. AFAIK for P&S, you cannot manual focus (as in manually focus by turning the ring) like a DSLR(or equivalent).

    btw, the accessory you mentioned, is a wide angle converter. I would suggest you check out the "real" price before you buy it. There are many unscrupulous salesman who will not hesitate to rip you off this item. Also there is a sticky thread about this item: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...ur-camera.html

    In general, for DSLR users, my advice is to stay away from it. Not sure if it still applies to P&S.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  3. #3
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Olympus XZ-1

    TS, you are expecting too much...

    Even with DSLR setups costing thousands of dollars, they have trouble shooting in dark clubbing scenes with fast movement... you need to add light by using the flash.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Olympus XZ-1

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    TS, you are expecting too much...

    Even with DSLR setups costing thousands of dollars, they have trouble shooting in dark clubbing scenes with fast movement... you need to add light by using the flash.
    Yeah, i know but in-context was referring if it is horrible beyond viewing or acceptable.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Olympus XZ-1

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Got to clarify first....XZ-1 is not a DSLR/Mirrorless/.. .. It's a Point and Shoot (P&S)

    Low light and fast movements shots are almost always a challenge... As you face at least the focusing issue. AFAIK for P&S, you cannot manual focus (as in manually focus by turning the ring) like a DSLR(or equivalent).

    btw, the accessory you mentioned, is a wide angle converter. I would suggest you check out the "real" price before you buy it. There are many unscrupulous salesman who will not hesitate to rip you off this item. Also there is a sticky thread about this item: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...ur-camera.html

    In general, for DSLR users, my advice is to stay away from it. Not sure if it still applies to P&S.
    Yeah, understand it is not a DSLR. not looking for a DSLR as its too bulky to bring along. thanks for the link good read. As a P&S, would be be 'ok' to assume that the XZ-1 will do the job? standard food shots, walkabout photos, holidays, etc. not professional wedding photos, etc.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Olympus XZ-1

    I just brought one for the compact aspect cos i didnt wanna carry my dslr for bike rides etc. went night cycling at ecp on sat night and i found that with well lit areas such as street lamps and shop lighting in the outdoor pics are sharp and nice. when lighting was low i found that i had to have iso of 1600 which gave decent images but with alot of noise, even with f1.8. with the exception of iso i used mostly auto all night cos not had chance to play with camera and found thats it struggled a bit with low lighting. however if i want perfect images i take the dslr, my xz-1 is more when i need a compact

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Olympus XZ-1

    Quote Originally Posted by nivlac View Post
    Yeah, i know but in-context was referring if it is horrible beyond viewing or acceptable.
    Problem is everyone's definition of horrible or acceptable can be very different... best you do some review/tests online.. or go to courts and get a hands on.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •