Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dressing for official photographer

Default Dressing for official photographer

If you are to shoot at a high level company dinner and all the guest are to wear Suit and tie for gentlemen and evening gown for ladies, what would you wear?

Wearing suit to shoot would be very uncomfortable isnt it? Will the photographer look odd if he is the only one without the suit?

Default Re: Dressing for official photographer

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    If you are to shoot at a high level company dinner and all the guest are to wear Suit and tie for gentlemen and evening gown for ladies, what would you wear?

Wearing suit to shoot would be very uncomfortable isnt it? Will the photographer look odd if he is the only one without the suit?
    No.

Because photographers are known to be poorly paid or free and hence poorly dressed will solicitates a lot of sympathy and they may throw a few more dollars into the rice bowls.

Dressed for the dire situation rather than the occasion.

imho the photographer should be allowed to wear something he/she feels comfortable in
    afterall,the photog is working

no, the main idea is blend into the crowd,
    especially high profile events, you don't make yourself like a fool on TV or any media which will publish later.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I think long-sleeve shirt and formal pants sound good enuf to me, unless you are carrying only 1 camera then maybe a suit would be good. But still, nobody is gonna (or should) blame or look down at a photographer wearing just shirt n formal pants...
    Life is full of partings - snapshot them while you can & cherish them!

wear a long sleeve shirt (no need for tie), pants, and a photographer's vest that says "Official Photographer" on it. Then you're ok.
    Alpha

Wear anything, and on top of it wear a photographer's vest that has Nikon or Canon printed large at the back.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

I read on a other forum, this big guy would turn up to events and wear a hi visibility vest do that everyone thought he was official and stayed out of his way. I've seen him. Funny
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Just wear casual formal. Long sleeve shirt, no need tie. pants and shoes. simple

it's good to check with the organisers(or the person who engaged you)

to be safe.... just wear a black shirt with collar(long sleeve or short sleeve), black pants and black shoes

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    Wear anything, and on top of it wear a photographer's vest that has Nikon or Canon printed large at the back.
    To be fair to both brands the front of the photo vest should have Canon and the back Nikon.

Maybe along the sides can have Pentax or Sony.

This will be ample to tell all and sundry that you are the official photographer using pro gear.

Quote Originally Posted by photoart View Post
    to be safe.... just wear a black shirt with collar(long sleeve or short sleeve), black pants and black shoes
    Great. Holding a monopod he will look like a Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Just wear casual formal. Long sleeve shirt, no need tie. pants and shoes. simple
    No need tie, pants and shoes?

I think all female guests will fight to pose in front of him and have an eyeful.

You should wear according to your pay.

Wear suit and tie if you are pay very well

Wear T-shirt and shorts and the guest will know the organizer paid you peanuts
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    You should wear according to your pay.

Wear suit and tie if you are pay very well

Usually in this kind of situation I wear white latex gloves and a black color photographer vest with white words that says CID Scene Of Crime.

Seriously; a photog on shoot is a vendor, so a good guide is to see how the venue vendors dress. If even waiters and waitresses are in dinner suit and gown, ie fine dining restaurant, then you must not dress lower than service staff. However in Singapore context, its acceptable for working vendors to underdress a bit.

Just dress professionally, properly pressed black long sleeve business shirt and pants with nice leather shoes is enough and better than ill fitting cheapo suit with hole in jeans and rubber shoes. You also won't risk over dressing as a vendor, if worried just bring along jacket and you can up-dress immediately with it.

Had seen overdressed photog with vest jacket and even hat and he is the clown that feels so 'trying to be'
    Last edited by JasonB; 9th June 2012 at 06:46 PM.

It depends on the clients. I usually shoot with permudas and tee shirt. More confortable. But got complaint for not taking the wedding serious. Since then. I wear smart casual. Jeans/cargo pants + long sleeve shirt. But not used to shoot with jeans either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    If get paid peanuts better turn up wearing like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Sion

To be fair to both brands the front of the photo vest should have Canon and the back Nikon.

Maybe along the sides can have Pentax or Sony.

This will be ample to tell all and sundry that you are the official photographer using pro gear.
    Might as well sew some big names on the vest like NatGeo, AP, AFP, Reuters... Even White House haha!
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

If u sling lots of gear on ur body (2 bodies, utilities belt w lot of prime len), i think no one will bother what u wear .. cos they know u r just doing ur job.

Of course not shorts and slipper lah ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast