Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Built in Flash with D800

Default Re: Built in Flash with D800

Quote Originally Posted by eugeng View Post
    No lah, the 24-120 is a good carry around len I think, just right for most situation which I can think of..

but I like your idea of using 50mm and use DX mode to tele a bit.. I do not have a FX cam, been using a DX, never thought it that way.. still waiting to get my hand on D800.. so thot of asking if anyone face this issue with their D800...
    This is a universal problem, D800 doesn't escape from it too as the onboard flash doesn't look radically repositioned.

Bring tissue or a piece of paper and diffuse the flash near to the tip of the lens, works well.
    Macro Photography in SG - http://sgmacro.blogspot.com | Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/sgmacro

Yeah, thought if they can tilt the angle of the built-in flash may "solved" this stupid problem.
    I am doubtful that will solve your problem... if you tilt so there is no shadow, there will also be no light falling where you need it. YOu can of course tilt to bounce the flash on cameras like the NEX 7 built in flash... but not with the D800 of course.

The other replies have been accurate with their advice. However, another thing I would like to add.... if you are replying on the built in flash for light, you really shouldn't bother with a D800. NEVER use a built in flash to light your subjects! THe light is terrible. I would 100% recommend you get a SB400 at minimum or as a travel flash. It can tip up and bounce if you want to leave it attached... it can also be used remotely off camera using the CLS system. Using this, you can set your pop up flash to wirelessly and remotely fire the 400... your final photo will show only light from the SB400 (you can of course configure your camera to show light from the pop up flash too... but why would you do that? THat light is terrible).

I would handhold the SB400 in my other hand and bounce and angle it in whatever way I want... if pointed directly at the subject, add a diffuser....

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Burn Lim View Post
    it can also be used remotely off camera using the CLS system. Using this, you can set your pop up flash to wirelessly and remotely fire the 400... your final photo will show only light from the SB400 (you can of course configure your camera to show light from the pop up flash too... but why would you do that? THat light is terrible).

I would handhold the SB400 in my other hand and bounce and angle it in whatever way I want... if pointed directly at the subject, add a diffuser....
    I was under the impression that SB400 does not support wireless options for CLS. Can't be triggered wirelessly from the onboard flash except with an optical trigger.
    Macro Photography in SG - http://sgmacro.blogspot.com | Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/sgmacro

Quote Originally Posted by rain5533 View Post
    Something missing here!

Haaa.. I also felt so..maybe I didn't explain well. but general idea is I want to find out if the lens shadow issue will still happen when I get the D800 pairing it with 24-120 lens. Sounds like this issue will still happen as long as I use the built-in flash when I use it with 24-120 on D800..

to set the background right, I still do not have D800, so just want to find out what are the chances of this issue still happening.

Quote Originally Posted by eugeng

Haaa.. I also felt so..maybe I didn't explain well. but general idea is I want to find out if the lens shadow issue will still happen when I get the D800 pairing it with 24-120 lens. Sounds like this issue will still happen as long as I use the built-in flash when I use it with 24-120 on D800..

to set the background right, I still do not have D800, so just want to find out what are the chances of this issue still happening.
    Actually you know how to control the ISO as well, there is not require for using the pop up flash.

Even you want quick snap shoot with full brighten the overall is clear image.

For me I will using the aperture with ISO and shutter + natural lighting.

Just one simple here

Unless you wanna took this kind of photos an go with external flash.

Last edited by rain5533; 8th June 2012 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loboclerk View Post
    I was under the impression that SB400 does not support wireless options for CLS. Can't be triggered wirelessly from the onboard flash except with an optical trigger.
    That's what I thought too.. you need a sync cord or a wireless trigger device..
    Nikon D90

Quote Originally Posted by loboclerk View Post
    Just checked. You are indeed correct I guess only the SB600 and upwards is capable of that. But in any case, the SB400 with the height clearance and the tilt ability for bounce should be sufficient in a very compact package.
    I also think you wouldn't need a flash in most situations with the D800. I almost never use mine with my D800E with the ISO ability and fast primes. In fact, I barely use it with my NEX7 or my old D7000 either. Bottom line for me is, if I have to consider using the pop up flash, I would rather bump the ISO, use the lowest shutter speed I can afford and widest aperture... in most cases, it will be fine. If you do buy a D800, try that first before splurging on the flash... you will probably need that cash for memory cards instead :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Burn Lim View Post
    Just checked. You are indeed correct I guess only the SB600 and upwards is capable of that. But in any case, the SB400 with the height clearance and the tilt ability for bounce should be sufficient in a very compact package.
    I also think you wouldn't need a flash in most situations with the D800. I almost never use mine with my D800E with the ISO ability and fast primes. In fact, I barely use it with my NEX7 or my old D7000 either. Bottom line for me is, if I have to consider using the pop up flash, I would rather bump the ISO, use the lowest shutter speed I can afford and widest aperture... in most cases, it will be fine. If you do buy a D800, try that first before splurging on the flash... you will probably need that cash for memory cards instead :P
    Different needs. Flash is not just used to create more light.. CLS stands for Creative Lightning system.. flash can also be used to create different light source. Even in bright day light.. flash can also be deployed to get specific lighting directions for the shooting needs.
    Last edited by bomby929; 8th June 2012 at 05:04 PM.
    Nikon D90

Quote Originally Posted by eugeng

You can have it !

http://shashinki.com/shop/advanced_s...iffuse&x=0&y=0

I think the shadow problem will happen to most dSLR camera, if you use internal flash, with rather big lens.
    Normally my own solution:
    1. Since u use D800, I think with ISO 6400 almost still noise free.
    2. If have to use flash, perhaps don't use too wide, perhaps zoom to 40 or 50mm
    just my 2cents

Don't worry for our brother now, in future you have the AFS 28mm f1.8G this is WA low light lens

Quote Originally Posted by bomby929 View Post
    Different needs. Flash is not just used to create more light.. CLS stands for Creative Lightning system.. flash can also be used to create different light source. Even in bright day light.. flash can also be deployed to get specific lighting directions for the shooting needs.
    I agree... but if the OP is considering using his pop up flash, would you think he is planning to use directional lighting or just to add light? My point is that IF the plan to use a pop up flash, then your NEEDS or purpose is probably only JUST for that, to add light and not for creative use... It can't be redirected nor is it diffused. In which case, you are better off without it and probably can do without it in most cases. CLS can only be employed on SB600 and above as I found out. Not possible with the SB400 that the OP planned to use as an option which can only be triggered via cables if used off camera.
    Last edited by Kay Burn Lim; 8th June 2012 at 07:09 PM.

here an extreme sample using 24-120mm f4 with in-built flash for D800.

Last edited by bomby929; 8th June 2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Nikon D90

Blog Entries

This is not a new problem... just get a speedlite SB600 and above, and problem solved. and you get better light too, coz with speedlight you can bounce.

Wow, so many replies!!! thank for everyone chipping in...greatly appreciate it.

Personally I prefer not to flash my subject as I find that usually it looks odd.. i prefer the nature lighting even when it is dim but with some ambient light source, but sometime really bopiah, I rather flash it than not taking the picture...

Problem is I rarely use my flash, so I do not like the idea of carrying a external flash, especially something as big as SB600...thats why thot the lightest possible flash, SB400.. heeeee...

I have never tried tissue or paper as diffuser, maybe a little unglam, haaa but better than having the shadow.....haaaaaaaaaaa

Once again, thank you all for your advice and suggestion.. I pick up some good idea here and will try it out... too bad, I have been waiting for stock of D800 and it is getting frustrating...

Blog Entries

Personally I prefer not to flash my subject as I find that usually it looks odd.. i prefer the nature lighting even when it is dim but with some ambient light source, but sometime really bopiah, I rather flash it than not taking the picture...

Problem is I rarely use my flash, so I do not like the idea of carrying a external flash, especially something as big as SB600...thats why thot the lightest possible flash, SB400.. heeeee...

I have never tried tissue or paper as diffuser, maybe a little unglam, haaa but better than having the shadow.....haaaaaaaaaaa

Once again, thank you all for your advice and suggestion.. I pick up some good idea here and will try it out... too bad, I have been waiting for stock of D800 and it is getting frustrating...
    remember, if you use the SB400, you cannot bounce the light up if you are shooting in portrait orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Burn Lim

I agree... but if the OP is considering using his pop up flash, would you think he is planning to use directional lighting or just to add light? My point is that IF the plan to use a pop up flash, then your NEEDS or purpose is probably only JUST for that, to add light and not for creative use... It can't be redirected nor is it diffused. In which case, you are better off without it and probably can do without it in most cases. CLS can only be employed on SB600 and above as I found out. Not possible with the SB400 that the OP planned to use as an option which can only be triggered via cables if used off camera.
    The on board flash can be used very effectively for fill flash. It can also be used very creatively with long exposure and rear curtain for interesting compositions. It is not completely useless as you seem to suggest.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

remember, if you use the SB400, you cannot bounce the light up if you are shooting in portrait orientation.
    Unless you use a off-camera sync cord. :-P
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Probably it depends on the ambient lightings avaliable, decision whether to use flash or not, and what kind of picture you want to create. It's good to have external flash, different lens you may need different type of diffusers, experiment them, and see what suits you best.

@Eugene, this lens couple with any Nikon bodies with builtin flash will has this issue. 18-200 oso give me this too.
    Solutions is either use an external flash or just step back a few steps, zoom in to your desire composure, then the shadow cause by the lens will not show up.
    Hopes this help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast