Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55

Thread: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

  1. #41

    Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

    Quote Originally Posted by pansbulcem View Post
    actually autism is a condition. It not say whether a person is clever or not. Some who having autism is having low IQ. But got some who is having severe autism can also be very clever and very high IQ. And like some say, even doctor don't know exactly what going through mind os people having autism.
    The Straits Times ran an issue on autism some time back, there was this guy with high functioning autism who has problem socializing but can remember every minute detail of customers (name, phone number, what they bought, the amount and price etc) even from years back.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

    It is a coincidence that someone (is it a person named Jimmy?) happened to be present and he videoed the whole episode.
    Others were chiding the video-cameraman for filming it and not helping. They were wrong. At least two others - a lady named Tina and a middle aged man already stepped in before the culprit got out of control in his outburst. By filming and uploading the short video, Jimmy has provided IMPORTANT video evidence. He did a public service.

    You can read the account given by the culprit in his Facebook post and compare it with the video evidence. Look for disparity between the two. That is why the video evidence is important. Otherwise there might even be doubts that it ever happened at all.

    The claim to a medical condition was in the Facebook post. In the post, there was no proof of official certification of such condition by a medical doctor.

    What is unknown, is how many other times (if any) he has done this to others and there was NO video evidence? No one knew about those.

    It looks like the culprit knows how to pick on elderly or weak victims, and never pick on tough guys who potentially can bash him up.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 10th June 2012 at 06:27 PM.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    It is a coincidence that someone (is it a person named Jimmy?) happened to be present and he videoed the whole episode.
    Others were chiding the video-cameraman for filming it and not helping. They were wrong. At least two others - a lady named Tina and a middle aged man already stepped in before the culprit got out of control in his outburst. By filming and uploading the short video, Jimmy has provided IMPORTANT video evidence. He did a public service.

    You can read the account given by the culprit in his Facebook post and compare it with the video evidence. Look for disparity between the two. That is why the video evidence is important. Otherwise there might even be doubts that it ever happened at all.

    The claim to a medical condition was in the Facebook post. In the post, there was no proof of official certification of such condition by a medical doctor.

    What is unknown, is how many other times (if any) he has done this to others and there was NO video evidence? No one knew about those.

    It looks like the culprit knows how to pick on elderly or weak victims, and never pick on tough guys who potentially can bash him up.
    you look like you're giving a fair explanation, but instead, you're actually guiding people to hate this guy.

    there's enough of hatred going around.

    give him the benefit of the doubt. the police hasn't even released information yet and here you are passing judgement on him. who are you to do that? what if, one day you accidentally knocked into an old man and he fell down and hurt himself. it was an accident but someone everyone pointed fingers at you for purposely doing it because you had a history of violence? even after years of sobriety and inner-peace?

    how would you feel?

    this is something lacking in the hearts of singaporeans, which is to feel compassion. we're so apathetic that we ignore the people around us. and just because something happened out of the ordinary, and someone who is possibly mentally unstable committed a rash act, suddenly he's the bad guy here.

    stop condemning people to death before even an outcome has been decided. don't play God. you're not that great

  4. #44

    Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

    I quite agree with you on this. Whilst I always sympathise with those who are sick & unable to help themselves, I find the explanation from this guy quite manipulative, self serving, cocky & arrogant, like from some smart ass who knows how to twist & turn a story to his advantage or used to indulge in self justification. Quite unlike someone who couldnt help himself. The post has since been taken off, obviously to avoid further criticism, self incrimination.

    Also, explaining, soliciting understanding & sympathy for his abnormal behaviour is one thing, but being defensive, or rather offensive in putting down peoples cricitcal commemts is another. People can make their own judgements, not everything is for the courts. Many are eager to give him the benefit of the doubt & move on. Lets see if he be back in the news again.... if he doesnt go for treatment of his so called psychological condition(s). Frankly, someone who cant control himself has no business to be in the public for his own safety as well as others, whether its a anger management issue or case of severe mental illness. Apologies & mere words alone are not enough.

    And I have come across many autistic people, they are mostly gentle & keep to themselves, some like to throw tantrums like children, but none is aggressive such as to abuse & assault another person.

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    It is a coincidence that someone (is it a person named Jimmy?) happened to be present and he videoed the whole episode.
    Others were chiding the video-cameraman for filming it and not helping. They were wrong. At least two others - a lady named Tina and a middle aged man already stepped in before the culprit got out of control in his outburst. By filming and uploading the short video, Jimmy has provided IMPORTANT video evidence. He did a public service.

    You can read the account given by the culprit in his Facebook post and compare it with the video evidence. Look for disparity between the two. That is why the video evidence is important. Otherwise there might even be doubts that it ever happened at all.

    The claim to a medical condition was in the Facebook post. In the post, there was no proof of official certification of such condition by a medical doctor.

    What is unknown, is how many other times (if any) he has done this to others and there was NO video evidence? No one knew about those.

    It looks like the culprit knows how to pick on elderly or weak victims, and never pick on tough guys who potentially can bash him up.
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 11th June 2012 at 11:19 AM.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

    Strange, I thought you are the one who started this matter & called him a FAGGOT in another thread??? Case of pot calling the kettle black? Suddenly you changed your tune, based on what proof? At least the other got the video which all can see. You are telling others not to judge, yet you are judging TS here. You cant persuade, convince others to your view, thus you condemn...


    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    you look like you're giving a fair explanation, but instead, you're actually guiding people to hate this guy.

    there's enough of hatred going around.

    give him the benefit of the doubt. the police hasn't even released information yet and here you are passing judgement on him. who are you to do that? what if, one day you accidentally knocked into an old man and he fell down and hurt himself. it was an accident but someone everyone pointed fingers at you for purposely doing it because you had a history of violence? even after years of sobriety and inner-peace?

    how would you feel?

    this is something lacking in the hearts of singaporeans, which is to feel compassion. we're so apathetic that we ignore the people around us. and just because something happened out of the ordinary, and someone who is possibly mentally unstable committed a rash act, suddenly he's the bad guy here.

    stop condemning people to death before even an outcome has been decided. don't play God. you're not that great
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 11th June 2012 at 10:28 AM.

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc
    Strange, I thought you are the one who started this matter & called him a FAGGOT in another thread??? Case of pot calling the kettle black? Suddenly you changed your tune, based on what proof? At least the other got the video which all can see. You are telling others not to judge, yet you are judging TS here. You cant persuade, convince others to your view, thus you condemn...
    Are you gonna turn this into a personal attack?

    That was before anyone found out that he might have issues.

    Now that you know, will you wait for the police to reveal more information or continue to straight-out lynch him online?

    Look carefully at the tone. I'm telling him not judging him

  7. #47

    Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

    Funny, so yours is not a personal attack, mine is? I merely quoted what you said. Please read your poor choice of words "who are you to do that..", "stop condemning people to death.."... you are not that great" etc, talk about tone... I suggest look in the mirror if it hurts. If one quote you, its an attack, if you quote others its ok? Is yours the only valid view & must others echo your views? Dont preach.

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Are you gonna turn this into a personal attack?

    That was before anyone found out that he might have issues.

    Now that you know, will you wait for the police to reveal more information or continue to straight-out lynch him online?

    Look carefully at the tone. I'm telling him not judging him
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 11th June 2012 at 11:50 AM.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

    This thread is going no where and may lead to more issues between members in this community. There are many varying perspectives as i have mentioned somewhere in this thread, I'd like to reinforce that there is no wrong or right views. Agreeing to disagree would be a good way to end this discussion.

    s1221ljc, kei1309 had started the previous thread on this matter before realising the underlying issues Alex faces and has since closed that thread after realising the situation. That deserves mention for kei1309 had made the effort to correct a mistake or in appropriate judgemental post which was not constructive in any way. I'd like to remind you that the proof or evidence that you mentioned (video footage) only covers the incident. The other proof (Alex's diagnosis, which you claim to be non-existent) cannot be proven to be non-existent unless you are the investigating officer of this case and have knowledge of. So in this instance i seek your understanding and consideration of not going into the matter further as it is now handled by the police.

    kei1309, s1221ljc had made the comment based on the chain of events which started from the earlier thread you posted and also the fact that you called him(Alex) a faggot.

    Let's respect each other's views and end this amicably.

    Moderators, I request for this thread to be closed to avoid further discussion of an ongoing police investigation and to avoid conflicts between parties posting in this thread. I'm reporting my own post to get your attention and to avoid others misunderstanding that i am reporting their comments.
    Last edited by Silas; 11th June 2012 at 11:42 AM.

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    Which reminds me of one of South Park episode where Cartman pretend to be diagnosed with Tourette's syndrome and do whatever he wants.
    EXACTLY what he is doing here.
    The difference is, Cartman knew what the signs and symptoms of Tourette's syndrome was but THIS MAN DOES NOT EVEN HAVE A CLUE ABOUT OCD, and yet blatantly claims to have OCD and use it as an excuse!
    And now he has brought a bad name to the condition OCD.
    And the ignorant naive people here saying, Oh, you guys don't understand what the poor guy is going through.

    Firstly, this is NOT HOW AN OCD PERSON BEHAVES!
    His behavior does not show any signs of OCD at all.

    And to correct someone, people with OCD are aware of what they are doing, but it is difficult to control.
    People who are totally not aware of what they are doing are those with MPD (Multiple Personality Disorders).

    It is possible that he has depression and anger management issues, but these are not excuses for his behavior either.
    So you mean anyone who has any mental illness can do anything and get away with it? And it is not wrong?
    If this is so, then it should also be applied to physical illness to be fair.
    So if I have a cold and I'm in a bad mood, I can just slap you or push you down the bus, and I've done nothing wrong because I am sick?
    The fact that he used OCD as an excuse for his behavior shows that he has rational thinking, albeit stupid.

    Criminals with mental illnesses which can be testified by a qualified psychologist still have to serve a sentence; they just get a lighter sentence.
    And it also depends on what type of illness.

    Here's a thought for you.
    A person's mental condition alone does not determine his actions.
    A person is body, soul and spirit.
    A person's character, personality, values, combined with his mental state determines his action.
    My father had Fragile X syndrome, schizophrenia, ADHD, OCD, anger management issues but he was a kind soul.
    When he got into his anger fit, he would throw TV, furniture, rip off the doors - destroy the entire house,
    but he never ever hurt anyone even one hair; not even the person who made him angry.
    In fact, my father never ever in his entire life hurt even one small ant.
    He had respect for life.
    This is not something that any mental condition changes.
    This is not something that the side effects of taking a whole slew of drugs changes.
    Its about what stuff your heart and soul is made of.
    My father is proof of this.

    This violent moron on the bus is just someone who has no respect for life, no respect for the elderly, and is completely self-centered.
    Oh, and a scammer as well... claiming to have OCD?
    Find something easier to fake next time you need an excuse, come on!
    And believe me, people with mental illnesses, even when they are acting out of their illnesses, would never say their actions were due to their illness.
    When you really have a mental illness, you feel very ashamed if your illness causes you to do stupid or terrible things.
    Such people try to hide their mental illness when this happens, rather than use it as an excuse.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  10. #50
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post

    Firstly, this is NOT HOW AN OCD PERSON BEHAVES!
    His behavior does not show any signs of OCD at all.
    Not according to Wikipedia's article on Purely Obsessional OCD:

    ...a lesser-known form or manifestation of OCD. For people with Purely Obsessional OCD, there are usually no observable compulsions, such as those commonly seen in those with the typical form of OCD (checking, counting, hand-washing, etc.). While ritualizing and neutralizing behaviors do take place, they are almost entirely in the form of excessive mental rumination.
    Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder Symptoms

    OCD without overt compulsions could, by one estimate, characterize as many as 50 percent to 60 percent of OCD cases. Rather than engaging in observable compulsions, the person with this subtype might perform more covert, mental rituals, or might feel driven to avoid the situations in which particular thoughts seem likely to intrude.
    So you mean anyone who has any mental illness can do anything and get away with it? And it is not wrong?
    If this is so, then it should also be applied to physical illness to be fair.
    So if I have a cold and I'm in a bad mood, I can just slap you or push you down the bus, and I've done nothing wrong because I am sick?
    The fact that he used OCD as an excuse for his behavior shows that he has rational thinking, albeit stupid.
    Not that it is not wrong, but there should be more understanding.

  11. #51

    Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

    OCD or autism is separate from anger, lack of self control & display of aggression. There is nothing in the descriptions of these illness that associate them with anger.

    To me yes, he may have been under a lot of pressure & stress, if what he said was true. But I think his action in question derived more from deep seated anger, even hatred, that's been on the boil inside. IMO he need anger, stress management & counselling...

    In his FB post, he himself was like confessed this issue of anger...

    Quote
    ...................
    3. Everything was on a fit of anger; try telling me you can think rationally when you are angry.
    4. Try not to get pissed off at such minor matters when you have been having emotional issues for weeks. When you are angry over something, anything else that annoys you will get you angry as well. Tell me you never experienced any of this.
    Unquote

    So to him, being angry, the reason or cause for it notwithstanding, is understandable, perfectly normal & acceptable. His brushing aside of the incident & its consequences as "minor matters" shows he does not see & will not confront the real problem & issues. Apologies are just to take the heat off the matter.

    His another post though unrelated to the incident shed more light on the anger he has inside against many things...

    Quote
    I will be upfront.

    I hate Shina. I support Taiwanese, Tibetan, and Turkestan independence. I support the destruction of all economy and political systems in Shina, and having Taiwan install a proper democracy there. I support waging nuclear war against Shina, if other solutions to being about peaceful change and transition to a full, mature liberal democracy in the country and/or giving independence to Tibet and Turkestan fails, or if they show any form of aggression towards the Republic of Taiwan, the Republic of Korea, or Japan.
    Unquote

    I think we should be able to discuss any matter of public interest, whether there is agreement or not, even if its related to so called "mental illness". It is not the purpose of this forum to come to any consensus. Trying to shield, censor or hide any illness doesnt really help, even for those who are suffering from it. Understanding does not come from avoiding or covering things up. I known of people with OCD or autism, none of them are aggressive. And I have visited IMH & personally know of someone who's suffered more serious illness & has been inside for 50 years & more, like her whole life, & she is like perfectly normal, except when she need the medications.
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 14th June 2012 at 10:32 AM.

  12. #52
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    In some country, this chap will be beaten to death, so it's the end of story

  13. #53

    Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

    In Soviet Russia... the old lady will push him out of the bus

  14. #54

    Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    In Soviet Russia... the old lady will push him out of the bus
    No, Bus push you!

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

    An update.
    -----------------------

    STOMP - Singapore Seen - Man who pushed old woman off bus defends his actions

    The elderly woman had minor injuries, but refused to be taken to hospital by the Singapore Civil Defence Force.


    Here are some selected comments in STOMP. Notably one from BlackShield.
    ...........................................

    colinsphilips said on 14 Jun, 2012

    For a 76 yrs lady, it is already amazing that she is very independent and able to take public transport. It is quite common for an elderly person to have slower reaction or be absent minded. Hence, it is not surprise to see her pressing the bell at the last minute. Would she want to do it intentionally? I don't think so. If you wished to advise her, say in a nice way (greet her first....etc) I am sure she will understand and say thank you to you. So show some respect. Like it or not, we are approaching the aging population. So you will be seeing more elderly people around and one day you will grow old too. So please, young man, please be patient and learn to respect the elderly.

    ...........................................

    stompergoh said on 9 Jun, 2012

    Dear Alex,Depressive Disorder does not give you a reasonable excuse to resort to violence especially to a helpless elderly person, because it does not affect one's intelligence and the ability to assess, judge and perceive a given situation. Had the old lady been a muscular thug, i doubt you would have dared to do what you had done. You may be depressed due to your joblessness, but that's your personal problem, not anyone's. Under the law, you have commited an act of criminal assault and intimidation. If i am the DPP, i would have pressed for a maximum of 24 strokes of the cane for you!

    ...........................................

    BlackShield said on 13 Jun, 2012

    To Alex Ong:

    I understand that you have OCD and Asperger. However, don't put these conditions into the bad light. It doesn't serve justice for others who have these conditions. You spoke as if these conditions made your actions.

    What derives your violence are not from these conditions. It's from your own actions. How would I know? It's because I've OCD and ASD. Mine was much severe than you because I was exempted from NS. However, I DO NOT have violent tendencies from these conditions.

    What derived you actions are from your emotions. Emotions that were build upon getting bullied by the society. Thus, those are your actions. Your mind did not get disarray from these conditions. I agree that you're product of this society. That is no excuse to harm another. Everyone went through different form of pain. Indulging in self-pity is not the way to go through life or gain symphathy.

    ...........................................
    Last edited by ricohflex; 15th June 2012 at 01:00 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •