Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

I am gonna use some harsh words here....

For those of you who do not understand a wee bit about OCD or Autism, can you all please shut up!!

You can read articles, search Wikipedia or see YouTube, but unless you have been a caregiver yourself, you will never be able to fully understand what such type of conditions are all about. (Even caregivers also will not understand it, let me tell you all)

I am a parent of an autistic kid, and I think many of the above comments are hurting, baseless and needless. Please don't think that by reading up over Internet, you will understand what that condition is all about. You all don't, so please don't think you know all. (you all know who you are)

Let me tell everyone, even the doctors also can't really explain the cause of the condition, and they are basing intervention based on researches done by earlier batches. Only the affected person knows what the condition is all about. And I think Silas has already mentioned it in another thread.

Lastly, in this world, not everyone is fortunate to be as normal as "YOU". Count your blessings that you belong to that group. But never forget what happens to others may also happen to you (or next generation) also!

Default Re: Mr X has OCD....so he has excuse to do whatever he likes

OCD or whatever sickness is no excuse. I have a friend who are is worst state than him but I had never seen them bully anyone. He even earns more than me. (talking difficulty finding a job). Even a normal person will have difficulty getting a good job if he choose to misbehave.

I suggest we just let this matter rest. no point going on as what done cannot be undone. Those supporting/know Alex should better help him physically before he goes attacking another helpless folk.

pachero, we are not condamning people with ocd or autism, we are just doubting that guy.....

南无阿弥陀佛
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    OCD or whatever sickness is no excuse. I have a friend who are is worst state than him but I had never seen them bully anyone. He even earns more than me. (talking difficulty finding a job). Even a normal person will have difficulty getting a good job if he choose to misbehave.

I suggest we just let this matter rest. no point going on as what done cannot be undone. Those supporting/know Alex should better help him physically before he goes attacking another helpless folk.
    That's why I say, if don't know just keep quiet. There are different categories of OCD and Autism, his is likely different from your friend....

Sorry for sounding agitated, cos its something close to my heart.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pachero View Post
    That's why I say, if don't know just keep quiet. There are different categories of OCD and Autism, his is likely different from your friend....

Sorry for sounding agitated, cos its something close to my heart.
    nah. dont worry. some of us understand. OCD autism got varying degree one. mental conditions are hard to manage.

Quan yifeng beat up cabby, she pleaded depression and only got probation. This was in spite of her damn ugly hair.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    Quan yifeng beat up cabby, she pleaded depression and only got probation. This was in spite of her damn ugly hair.
    she did not plead depression. at least use the right terminology. she plead guilty to her charges (mischief). was released on probation likely due to her condition.

fyi, she pulled out the taxi meter (iirc). something that you don't do under normal mental circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    Makiyo also hit a taxi driver but she was drunk. Can we forgive her coz she was under the influence of alcohol?
    Objection !!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    Makiyo also hit a taxi driver but she was drunk. Can we forgive her coz she was under the influence of alcohol?
    is drinking and getting drunk within your control?

is depression and what you do after within your control?

a big difference here.

Well...i tink the old lady has certain issues herself also if not why did she challenged him when he first commented about something...could be a mental issue for all you know.Can't really blame the guy though.

We tend to treat mentally ill people in our society very, very badly. I think it's because the line between attitude problem & mental illness is so close and blur now.

Next time you criticize someone potentially or genuinely mentally ill, try to imagine yourself in their position. If you can't help them, just ignore them, it's the better remedy compared to blatant criticism.
    Last edited by surrephoto; 8th June 2012 at 09:55 PM.

In a situation where an autistic kid Age 12-14 is bullying another autistic person aged around mid 20s, What will you do? I saw these 2 in the mrt on the way home. The older one was asking random questions to passengers while the kid was teasing her. I wonder if ignoring them is the best option..

Pushing an elderly lady off the bus is an assault. She could have fallen badly and fractured her hip. If she fell head first, she could have cracked her skull.
    He also raised his hand threatening to beat her. He should do some jail time, say 3 months.
    Criminal charges to follow up and this creep should have a permanent criminal record.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 9th June 2012 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Pushing an elderly lady off the bus is an assault. She could have fallen badly and fractured her hip. If she fell head first, she could have cracked her skull.
    He also raised his hand threatening to beat her. He should do some jail time, say 3 months.
    Criminal charges to follow up and this creep should have a permanent criminal record.
    Yes, his act was wrong and he is under investigation. Let the authorities deal with him. Period.

For all else who continue to crucify him, why are u doing so? to make yourself feel good by putting yourself up high on the morals pedestal? Let's be gracious and move on from this. Why lower yourselves and succumb to opportunism by going all out in this act of condemning/judging another person.

"To sin is human but to forgive is divine"

I would like to ask all to take a moment and recall a situation or occasion where u did something wrong. How did u feel at that point of time? How would you want others to respond or react to your wrongdoing?

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral,
    begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy.
    Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it.
    Through violence you may murder the liar,
    but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth.
    Through violence you may murder the hater,
    but you do not murder hate.
    In fact, violence merely increases hate.
    So it goes.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence,
    adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
    only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

There are a wide variety of opinions cast in this thread, none wrong none perfectly right. It is ok to hold different views but let's be constructive and let the matter go.

I think we should let the investigations run its course... if he really is affected by autism spectrum disorders to a degree which would affect his behaviour in such a detrimental fashion, then he should be handled in an appropriate manner as advised by mental health professionals... if he is exaggerating or faking it, then the law will deal with him...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    I think we should let the investigations run its course... if he really is affected by autism spectrum disorders to a degree which would affect his behaviour in such a detrimental fashion, then he should be handled in an appropriate manner as advised by mental health professionals... if he is exaggerating or faking it, then the law will deal with him...
    His is more of OCD than autism. By the way, autism is congenital. There is no way to fake autism because of that.

There are many such cases of people in the society, and I think people should be more tolerant of them. His action was definitely wrong, but he has apologised and police have stepped in.

I can tell u there are many "normal" people who do the same wrong thing as what he has done, but majority of these "normal" people don't even have the courage to admit mistakes. Look around you, isn't that what is happening? Worse, these "normal" people think that they are right!

If today you are out in the street and meet someone with some mental distress, how will you treat these people? Do you treat them as outcast, or do you accept and treat them as normal people? Remember it will all reflect on you.

Let's move on from this episode.
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

Quote Originally Posted by wolfton View Post
    His is more of OCD than autism. By the way, autism is congenital. There is no way to fake autism because of that.

There are many such cases of people in the society, and I think people should be more tolerant of them. His action was definitely wrong, but he has apologised and police have stepped in.

I can tell u there are many "normal" people who do the same wrong thing as what he has done, but majority of these "normal" people don't even have the courage to admit mistakes. Look around you, isn't that what is happening? Worse, these "normal" people think that they are right!

If today you are out in the street and meet someone with some mental distress, how will you treat these people? Do you treat them as outcast, or do you accept and treat them as normal people? Remember it will all reflect on you.

Let's move on from this episode.
    maybe you have mistaken what I was trying to say... what I said was that we should let the authorities, who are on the case, handle the issue of whether that person is affected by a mental condition sufficient that it would cause the anti-social behaviour demonstrated... with the help of medical experts of course...

I agree that there are many people in society who suffer from autism, and to many degrees, and that the conditions are very real... like I mentioned in my earlier post, in medical terms it is called "autism spectrum disorders", a key word being "spectrum", meaning it describes a wide range of severities and conditions... there are even medical researchers who propose that it's not whether a person has autism or not, but where we all are, everyone in the world, on the spectrum, how much we are all affected, to what greater or lesser extent...

I was not belittling people who suffer from autism or questioning its suffers difficulties with coping with it, and I was certainly not saying that people who are diagnosed with autism by medical professionals are faking their symptoms, I was saying that how much the person in question is affected by autism, and whether his condition affected his performance in that situation, should be determined by the authorities with their supporting medical professionals...

Quote Originally Posted by pachero View Post
    I am gonna use some harsh words here....

For those of you who do not understand a wee bit about OCD or Autism, can you all please shut up!!

You can read articles, search Wikipedia or see YouTube, but unless you have been a caregiver yourself, you will never be able to fully understand what such type of conditions are all about. (Even caregivers also will not understand it, let me tell you all)

I am a parent of an autistic kid, and I think many of the above comments are hurting, baseless and needless. Please don't think that by reading up over Internet, you will understand what that condition is all about. You all don't, so please don't think you know all. (you all know who you are)

Let me tell everyone, even the doctors also can't really explain the cause of the condition, and they are basing intervention based on researches done by earlier batches. Only the affected person knows what the condition is all about. And I think Silas has already mentioned it in another thread.

Lastly, in this world, not everyone is fortunate to be as normal as "YOU". Count your blessings that you belong to that group. But never forget what happens to others may also happen to you (or next generation) also!
    Pachero, sorry to hear about your child & best wishes to you+kid. I do not know what's OCD & briefly about autism.

However, from his actions, we can clearly see a person who is definitely of certain intelligence, speaking+writing clear English and very capable, even using facebook as a media. He is very very lucky that the victim did not suffer anything serious & applaud the public present to apprehend him. I'm sure everyone has an old folk @ home, how would you feel if a stranger does this to yours?

Since he is a ticking time bomb then travelling with an adult or companion is safer for everybody. I'm a blessed parent of 4 healthy kids so now it's my responsibilty to nurture them to benefit society but first, they have to respect elders. 子之错父之过

Your last sentence sounds spiteful though.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

Quote Originally Posted by NineEleven
    we can clearly see a person who is definitely of certain intelligence, speaking+writing clear English and very capable, even using facebook as a media.
    actually autism is a condition. It not say whether a person is clever or not. Some who having autism is having low IQ. But got some who is having severe autism can also be very clever and very high IQ. And like some say, even doctor don't know exactly what going through mind os people having autism.

Quote Originally Posted by NineEleven View Post
    Pachero, sorry to hear about your child & best wishes to you+kid. I do not know what's OCD & briefly about autism.

However, from his actions, we can clearly see a person who is definitely of certain intelligence, speaking+writing clear English and very capable, even using facebook as a media. He is very very lucky that the victim did not suffer anything serious & applaud the public present to apprehend him. I'm sure everyone has an old folk @ home, how would you feel if a stranger does this to yours?

Since he is a ticking time bomb then travelling with an adult or companion is safer for everybody. I'm a blessed parent of 4 healthy kids so now it's my responsibilty to nurture them to benefit society but first, they have to respect elders. 子之错父之过

Your last sentence sounds spiteful though.
    As others have pointed out, autism covers a wide spectrum. There's high-functioning types like Asperger's Syndrome and there are those where mental development is severely limited.
    Those with high-functioning autism are very much "normal" (however you define normal) though they still exhibit some peculiar characteristics of autism.
    IF indeed Mr. Ong is autistic, then he is from the high-functioning type.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast