Thread: advice on manual focusing techniques

Default advice on manual focusing techniques

I find that everytime when I'm shooting wide, say 18mm on the D70 kit lens, I find it difficult to do a manual focus and get the subject I want to be in sharp focus. Turn the focus ring like see no difference one (maybe cause of the small viewfinder on the D70).

So in this situation, what techniques do you guys use? Would like to find about what are the commonly used techniques for such situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze
    I find that everytime when I'm shooting wide, say 18mm on the D70 kit lens, I find it difficult to do a manual focus and get the subject I want to be in sharp focus. Turn the focus ring like see no difference one (maybe cause of the small viewfinder on the D70).

So in this situation, what techniques do you guys use? Would like to find about what are the commonly used techniques for such situations.
    I doubt that a D70 is not built for manual focus since it does not have a split-image finder like all those manual camera have.
    For me, I would pre-judge the distance with my eyes and set it on the lens first then I will focus with the split-image finder on the camera. With pratice, this technics can really be very fast!
    With a 18mm lens, the DOF is so much so it does not really matter to be so accurate in focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    I doubt that a D70 is not built for manual focus since it does not have a split-image finder like all those manual camera have.
    For me, I would pre-judge the distance with my eyes and set it on the lens first then I will focus with the split-image finder on the camera. With pratice, this technics can really be very fast!
    With a 18mm lens, the DOF is so much so it does not really matter to be so accurate in focusing.
    u r right, DOF is so much that it really doesn't matter much.

another way is to look at the green light in the view finder, that will tell u if your subject is in focus or not.
    in case u r using a manual lens, judge with your own eyes, with many practise to perfect it. after all, u don't to spend $ on print since u r using D70.

for me, i still use manual focus sometimes. the split-image finder of the manual camera are no longer any help to me as i discovered that if the picture is sharp in the view finder, it will also turn out sharp (taking into consideration of the DOF).
    many times, i would look at my subject and focus rather than the split-image finder as my subject are usually off-centre and it works for me. u have to try out yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Amekaze

use the in-focus indicator confirm sharp focus, Page 74, D70 manual.

paiseh... may i know wads a split-image finder?

Thanks for the tips.