Thread: What settings should I use for this kind of shots ?

Smile What settings should I use for this kind of shots ?

Notice the background is blurred but the main subject is crystal clear. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Click here to see the pic

This is panning, the photographer moves the camera at the same time as the plane moves, so the plane is always in the same position in the lens but the background will move away and becomes blur.

WSSS .... hmmmm ..... NOTAMs ..... u work in Airlines or Air Traffic Controller? Anyway, that is done by panning

Red face

I am neither of those, just a big aviation photographer. Once i get my camera probably next week, I will go try out that kind of shots. Pity , Singapore weather has been pretty bad these past few days.

for panning, the shutter speed shld be low right? 1/50 can?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    for panning, the shutter speed shld be low right? 1/50 can?
    1/50 might as well don't pan ...... 1/2 or 1 sec is more like it

Quote Originally Posted by AirbusnBoeing
    I am neither of those, just a big aviation photographer. Once i get my camera probably next week, I will go try out that kind of shots. Pity , Singapore weather has been pretty bad these past few days.
    Then how do you take those nice shots of planes? From the viewing gallery???

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    1/2to 1 sec? I think it will be blurred pic rather than Panning shots. Usually panning is done in the range of about 1/30 to 1/60 depending on how fast the subject is moving. In fact, if you are panning a F1 car, 1/100 may still be too slow if i am not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    1/2to 1 sec? I think it will be blurred pic rather than Panning shots. Usually panning is done in the range of about 1/30 to 1/60 depending on how fast the subject is moving. In fact, if you are panning a F1 car, 1/100 may still be too slow if i am not wrong.
    Maybe .... but I would think of using a Tripod with a panning head for panning anyway ........

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    1/2 or 1sec is way too slow for daytime panning will properly get an overexposed shot...
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

To freeze the motion of the plane totally as in the shot, which is travelling at over 100km/h, and with tele lens probably (u wont be allowed so close to the runway anyway) 1/100 might even be too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    1/2 or 1sec is way too slow for daytime panning will properly get an overexposed shot...
    ????????
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Hi, this shot was taken from the viewing gallery and it's the best place to practice for such shots.

Sometimes, you get beautiful shots like this !

Japan Airlines

Emirates

2 of my favourite airlines.