Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 78 of 78

Thread: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

  1. #61
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    Sooooo..... which country (apart from Singapore) should be Myanmar's role model ? The US ? UK? Scandinavia ? South Africa ? China ? Brazil ? Australia ?
    Malaysia where they redefine corruption into fine art.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    David Marshall - Singapore's First Chief Minister?
    dude, looky my post #43 above

  3. #63
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    ah, Mr Winsemius, a true friend to Singapore, who taught us how to utilize foreign investments to rapidly create jobs for our people... we should really find a way to commemorate his contribution to Singapore :thumbsup:

    and of course, when nobody else would help us in teaching us how to defend ourselves, we approached the one country who nobody could openly ask for help... viva la "Mexico"
    Yup, just google for the current officially appointed position for Lieutenant General (Retired) Winston Choo Wee Leong, first Chief of Defence Force of the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF). Goes to show just how deep this secretive relationship is even till now and lets not forget the Taiwanese also. :)

    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 8th June 2012 at 02:24 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  4. #64
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    BTW, it was mentioned by Amnesty International that Singapore made a roaring business trading arms with the military regime of Myanmar. One of the "traits" we happened to picked up from the "Mexicans". ;)
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 8th June 2012 at 02:28 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  5. #65

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Yup, just google for the current officially appointed position for Lieutenant General (Retired) Winston Choo Wee Leong, first Chief of Defence Force of the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF). Goes to show just how deep this secretive relationship is even till now and lets not forget the Taiwanese also.

    He was classmates with a former Royal Malaysian Armed Forces chief in the Port Dickson camp, back when SG was still part of MY.

  6. #66

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    BTW, it was mentioned by Amnesty International that Singapore made a roaring business trading arms with the military regime of Myanmar. One of the "traits" we happened to picked up from the "Mexicans".
    It is better for Singapore to sell arms to them than other country like North Korea, who will influence them to develop nuclear weapon and threaten its neighbors with them.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Singapore is JUST an island. If I can cycle from east to west in less than 2 hrs, it's nothing even compare to JB. If Singapore is the size of JB and location is in somewhere remoted, it's wouldn't be the same. Just like a game, a small piece n easy lvl of land is easy to manage rather than a BIG piece of land in hard mode. And furthermore, this piece of land is going bad to worse daily, soon enough to be destory by the people who created it.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  8. #68

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Singapore is JUST an island. If I can cycle from east to west in less than 2 hrs, it's nothing even compare to JB. If Singapore is the size of JB and location is in somewhere remoted, it's wouldn't be the same. Just like a game, a small piece n easy lvl of land is easy to manage rather than a BIG piece of land in hard mode. And furthermore, this piece of land is going bad to worse daily, soon enough to be destory by the people who created it.
    Small got "small" problems; big got "big" problems.
    Small got "small" benefits; big got "big" benefits.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    一失足成千古恨
    Objection !!!

  10. #70
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    一失足成千古恨
    For those who don't understand it:

    "One lost leg becomes thousand years old dislike"

  11. #71
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Our General has more medals than the Sultan of Malaysia.

  12. #72

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    For those who don't understand it:

    "One lost leg becomes thousand years old dislike"
    Chinese proverbs so beautiful. No words in English can directly translate the above.

    let me try,

    if you fall, people will hate you forever !
    Objection !!!

  13. #73
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Our General has more medals than the Sultan of Malaysia.
    That is before he was retired, should have even more by now.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  14. #74

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    Sooooo..... which country (apart from Singapore) should be Myanmar's role model ? The US ? UK? Scandinavia ? South Africa ? China ? Brazil ? Australia ?
    i think that's the main problem with the world ... the blind leading the blind ...... in the end nothing improves.. politics remain dirty etc... HAHAHA
    and probably there does not exist a one system fits all kind of thing i guess hahaha..... like the chinese saying tian shi , di li, ren he.....if the situation
    and condition or climate etc changes some policies or actions blah blah would not bring about the same results..... luck plays a part also???? hahahaha

  15. #75

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    BTW, it was mentioned by Amnesty International that Singapore made a roaring business trading arms with the military regime of Myanmar.
    and yet Western govs did not seem to have minded... maybe there was a belief for them that better a "neutral" party do it than say more "socialist" ones

  16. #76

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    一失足成千古恨
    proverb translation... my turn :

    "one misstep begets an epoch of hurt"

  17. #77

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    Quote Originally Posted by cws77 View Post
    i think that's the main problem with the world ... the blind leading the blind ...... in the end nothing improves.. politics remain dirty etc... HAHAHA
    and probably there does not exist a one system fits all kind of thing i guess hahaha..... like the chinese saying tian shi , di li, ren he.....if the situation
    and condition or climate etc changes some policies or actions blah blah would not bring about the same results..... luck plays a part also???? hahahaha
    yeh, copying whole sale is not gonna be a wise thing to do, regardless of who the model is...

  18. #78
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,940
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Singapore not a good model for developing countries

    still need good people to run whatever model is chosen
    Last edited by ed9119; 10th June 2012 at 12:02 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •