Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experts advice needed in choosing which cam to buy best

Default Experts advice needed in choosing which cam to buy best

Hi. I'm thinking of buying a camera with rotating screen so can take self shot and able to do art filter so I don't need extra editing at home.

Heard that canon g12 is able to do this but my friend has one and the picture turn out very yellowish at night even when changing the mode to most white.

Thinking about getting Olympus EPL3 or pen mini but how much is the normal price/ package?

Or do you all suggest other brand of camera cos I only know about olympus and canon. THANKS!!

Default Re: Experts advice needed in choosing which cam to buy best

ask yourself what you want to shoot. what will you be shooting the most.

BTW. i think your friend has no idea what White Balance does right.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    ask yourself what you want to shoot. what will you be shooting the most.

BTW. i think your friend has no idea what White Balance does right.

I will be shooting mostly people like using it for outing and oversea so abit of scenary or the surrounding and stuff.

Not really sure about my friend though but I suppose she knows her thing cos she personally own a dslr.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkyrain

I will be shooting mostly people like using it for outing and oversea so abit of scenary or the surrounding and stuff.

Not really sure about my friend though but I suppose she knows her thing cos she personally own a dslr.
    Sorry have to disagree with u. Doesn't mean u have a dslr means u understand white balance. U can turn a scene from red to yellow to green if u understand white balance
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by ptwong View Post
    Sorry have to disagree with u. Doesn't mean u have a dslr means u understand white balance. U can turn a scene from red to yellow to green if u understand white balance
    Hmm.. I agree but thats not the main point actually. haha. I'm looking for a cam and not trying to discuss my friend's knowlege of the white balance.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkyrain

Hmm.. I agree but thats not the main point actually. haha. I'm looking for a cam and not trying to discuss my friend's knowlege of the white balance.
    True...My concern is if u don't understand the fundamentals, all the cam including EPL3 or pen mini would turn out yellow. Anyway enjoy your new cam and shoot more!
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by twinkyrain View Post
    Hi. I'm thinking of buying a camera with rotating screen so can take self shot and able to do art filter so I don't need extra editing at home.

Heard that canon g12 is able to do this but my friend has one and the picture turn out very yellowish at night even when changing the mode to most white.

Thinking about getting Olympus EPL3 or pen mini but how much is the normal price/ package?

Or do you all suggest other brand of camera cos I only know about olympus and canon. THANKS!!
    Actually from what you have written, almost all camera with rotating LCD could fit the bill. As to why your picture turn out very yellowish at night, there are a couple of reasons... like what many had stated, it might be the White Balance... it might also be because of the fluorescent banding issue depending on where and what is the environment you shoot your photos from. Any camera is affected by that.

As for the EPL3, I have been asking quotation from some of the shops recently.

Cathay Photo: S$775.75 (w/ GST)
    John 3:16 : S$890 (w/GST)

In future, you could also call up those shops and ask for quotation yourself

Anyway, before jumping into buying a camera, ask yourself these questions,

1) Will weigh be an issue
    2) Is EVF a must (if it is... then EPL3 or Pen mini is not for you, unless you wanted to opt for an add on).
    3) Do you need AF when taking movie
    4) Budget ($$$$ the most important thing on Earth)

Look also to the following brands,

1) Sony NEX, Sony SLT cameras
    2) Pentax K-01 (had essentially the same sensor as the famed K5).
    3) Nikon (D3200 - having a new 24MP sensor)
    4) Canon - G1X

Anyway, we can give you all the suggestion of the brands we like but it is essentially up to you to go down to the shop and have a feel first hand on how these cameras felt in your hand and if you can handle their weigh, like their ergonomic and understand their user menu.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Not sure about EPL3 but the Mini is $780 for a single lens kit when I bought it 2 months ago

it is the main point. you're obviously listening to advice on what camera to buy based on the color of the photo it produces because the settings are wrong.

buy what suits your style. any camera can do what you want to do. you should head down to the stores to play around with the cameras.

what you should consider:

Form Factor
    Weight
    Budget

and i would say... don't go with your friend. don't let her influence your decision. it's your camera, not her's

Nicer way to say camwhore

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    As for the EPL3, I have been asking quotation from some of the shops recently.

Cathay Photo: S$775.75 (w/ GST)
    John 3:16 : S$890 (w/GST)
    Unusual that Cathay is so much cheaper than J316. The prices of all the stuff I asked at Cathay so far is wayyyy higher than the other shops I go to.
    Philippians 4:13
    Visit my flickr! -------> http://www.flickr.com/photos/77348560@N04/

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalCamera

Unusual that Cathay is so much cheaper than J316. The prices of all the stuff I asked at Cathay so far is wayyyy higher than the other shops I go to.
    Haha and the quotes that I have been getting from Cathay are lower than most shops

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalCamera View Post

Actually I am very surprise too. My friend just got a 60D with a Tamron 17-50mm VC from Cathay too... and the price she got it was so much lower as compared to John... and even SLRR and Bally.

Recently Cathay seemed to be selling their gears at very low prices.
    My lousy shots

Seems made for you.... Even has "Posing Guides" to help you capture certain poses:

Compact Cameras-MultiView & Dual LCDs | SAMSUNG
    Alpha

Agree that cathay is selling at lower prices.my friend just purchased a 60D yesterday. The price is 100 plus lower than i got it 2 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Seems made for you.... Even has "Posing Guides" to help you capture certain poses:

Compact Cameras-MultiView & Dual LCDs | SAMSUNG
    if TS can wait~~

NEX-F3D : NEX-F3 : NEX Camera (E-mount) : Sony Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Haha and the quotes that I have been getting from Cathay are lower than most shops
    Actually I am very surprise too. My friend just got a 60D with a Tamron 17-50mm VC from Cathay too... and the price she got it was so much lower as compared to John... and even SLRR and Bally.

Hmmm just yesterday I asked for the prices of two lenses from the different shops at Funan as well as Cathay and Cathay prices are still higher.
    Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Cathay was $3350, SLRR was 3305, TK was 3310.
    Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS HSM, Cathay 1980, SLRR 1901, TK 1920.
    Just to name a few.

At those prices after the GST? The quotes I get from them are usually without GST. And once GST is added in, it's either the same or slightly more expensive than some shops I frequent.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalCamera View Post
    Hmmm just yesterday I asked for the prices of two lenses from the different shops at Funan as well as Cathay and Cathay prices are still higher.
    Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Cathay was $3350, SLRR was 3305, TK was 3310.
    Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS HSM, Cathay 1980, SLRR 1901, TK 1920.
    Just to name a few.
    Did you ask via e-quote?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    At those prices after the GST? The quotes I get from them are usually without GST. And once GST is added in, it's either the same or slightly more expensive than some shops I frequent.
    The price I listed down was with GST thrown in. Normally they gave me the quote without GST thus I multiply a 7% GST in it myself, thats how you get the weird 75cents.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Did you ask via e-quote?
    Nope, I went down to the shops to ask them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast