Thread: Any Japanese swords collector here?

Default Any Japanese swords collector here?

Hey guys! Hope all's well for everyone!

Currently I'm seeking a local swords collector who collects Japanese swords and is kindly enough to rent me one of his swords collection for a portrait theme shoot due on 30 June, Saturday. Just for a few hours. The photo shoot is a personal project. Nothing commercial. It would be great we can meet up for coffee and discuss over this.

I hope some kind soul can guide/help me. Your effort and kindness are greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hear from you guys. Cheers!

Default Re: Any Japanese swords collector here?

Hi do you want a model for the Japanese swords?

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzotint View Post
    Hey guys! Hope all's well for everyone!

Currently I'm seeking a local swords collector who collects Japanese swords and is kindly enough to rent me one of his swords collection for a portrait theme shoot due on 30 June, Saturday. Just for a few hours. The photo shoot is a personal project. Nothing commercial. It would be great we can meet up for coffee and discuss over this.

I hope some kind soul can guide/help me. Your effort and kindness are greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hear from you guys. Cheers!
    Those masot/props/costume shops might sell fake one. Or you can buy a cheap one from those sword sellers.

I have a friend who have 20 over Katanas, I don't think he will be willing to lend, loan, rent or sell. Even his son cannot touch.

I used to jog near my neighbourhood, there was always a guy practising his kendo in the park with the wooden sword, always shouting loudly, one day instead of the wooden one he was swinging a real katana, still shouting loudy, children running in the park, auntie uncle exercising, he don't care. The cops came cheong kong his sword and brought him away for questioning. Maybe aunties called Police.

Because it involves a weapon itself, regardless sharp or not, owners will be reluntant to lend.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Hi do you want a model for the Japanese swords?
    Thanks Sion! I've got the model for the theme shoot. However I wouldn't mind if you can show me some of your recommended models' folio first. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Those masot/props/costume shops might sell fake one. Or you can buy a cheap one from those sword sellers.

I have a friend who have 20 over Katanas, I don't think he will be willing to lend, loan, rent or sell. Even his son cannot touch.

I used to jog near my neighbourhood, there was always a guy practising his kendo in the park with the wooden sword, always shouting loudly, one day instead of the wooden one he was swinging a real katana, still shouting loudy, children running in the park, auntie uncle exercising, he don't care. The cops came cheong kong his sword and brought him away for questioning. Maybe aunties called Police.

Because it involves a weapon itself, regardless sharp or not, owners will be reluntant to lend.
    Thanks for sharing the info sjackal. Yeah I'm aware of the danger the replica or real Samurai swords pose in public space. For film makers or for anyone who has intention of using such weaponry in public space, are required to apply for a special permit. Of cuz members of public are more concerned of their safety.

As a matter of fact, my theme shoot session will be conducted in an enclosed space i.e. a studio, which requires the swords owner or collector to be present through out the whole foto shoot session. I wouldn't want to damage his beloved collection, would I? On the budget side, it's pointless to purchase from Caesars. Those plastic or wooden made type from costume shops look too fake. I prefer the replica ones which helps in my photography end results i.e. more convincing and less PP or less digital manipulations.

BTW would you know any other collector who collects replica Samurai swords? I can liaise with them directly. Yr help is greatly appreciated.

Typical man in blue or samurai warriors from the Police Tactical Unit (PTU)? :think:

CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Why they arrest big breast auntie?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Indecent exposure ?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    suspected for carrying bombs on the chest? haha

i have a practical japanese sword called 'iaito' for martial arts training

imported from Japan, and got it registered with licence at the police HQ in Cantonment Road (Arm & Explosive Dept)
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    i have a practical japanese sword called 'iaito' for martial arts training

imported from Japan, and got it registered with licence at the police HQ in Cantonment Road (Arm & Explosive Dept)
    Hi SurrealDreamWalker! How have you been? Thanks for the info. Would be possible for you to send me pictures of your Japanese sword? Is it convenient for you to lend me on 30 June, Sat afternoon between 2-6PM? Please PM me. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzotint View Post
    Hi SurrealDreamWalker! How have you been? Thanks for the info. Would be possible for you to send me pictures of your Japanese sword? Is it convenient for you to lend me on 30 June, Sat afternoon between 2-6PM? Please PM me. Thank you very much.
    LOL... i am still struggling :P

I will PM you

*paiseh becoz it's my sword, i wouldn't loan it to anyone :P
    Last edited by SurrealDreamWalker; 8th June 2012 at 01:03 AM.
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

yep, japanese sword to samurai/ronin in feudal Japan, is like a swordman's soul which cannot be anyhow loan off.

hmm... that story sounds familiar... seems like someone i know... LOL!

LOL... i am still struggling :P

I will PM you

*paiseh becoz it's my sword, i wouldn't loan it to anyone :P
    making him lau nuah only.

yep, japanese sword to samurai/ronin in feudal Japan, is like a swordman's soul which cannot be anyhow loan off.

hmm... that story sounds familiar... seems like someone i know... LOL!
    You can lend the sword to anyone without endangering your soul.

The sword must taste blood to feel that it is loved by the new owner.

You do it by cutting a small piece of flesh from whoever you lend the sword to.

Hi TS,

Some of theses swords does have an idealistic, religious or spiritual nature / relationship to their owners and an inherent symbol to the deep traditions that they represent.

It is thus more appropriate for you to post such request in say... a cosplay forum for example whereby I'm sure you'll be able to procure one for your portrait shoot in no time.

Regards,
    Your Royal Highness' Two Pence
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 8th June 2012 at 02:32 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    You can lend the sword to anyone without endangering your soul.

The sword must taste blood to feel that it is loved by the new owner.

You do it by cutting a small piece of flesh from whoever you lend the sword to.
    LOL! I PM-ed TS already :P

alamak! that bloodthirsty sword you were talking about is the "Muramasa" type!

Muramasa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

anyway, mine is made by modern smith work and not the real thing :P

if i got the money, and of high rank in the arts, i prefer "Masamune" type

Masamune - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by SurrealDreamWalker; 8th June 2012 at 12:56 PM.

I have 3 old pieces from late Edo to WW2 & all saw blood. The more "spiritual" ones are the Kris, weapons like these are to be respected & held with highest esteem, there's even "rituals" in cleaning them. Responsible collectors will not loan these out & they must be kept in a locked case as per requirement here.

For photoshoot, best to find modern replicas.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

My sincere apology to all readers to this thread and thanks to you guys who share your valuable knowledge on swords collection. I think I forgot to mention that I'm looking for replica swords not the authentic real swords. I believe the replicas look close to real ones and are good for foto shoot. Any misunderstandings caused is greatly regretted.