Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sydney night shot

  1. #1

    Default Sydney night shot

    Nikon D100
    Aperture Priority F10 - 14seconds
    ISO 200
    Sigma 15-30 @ 30mm



  2. #2

    Default

    D100
    sigma 70-200 EX USM 2.8 @ 125mm
    F8 5seconds

    Last edited by bumjube; 1st August 2002 at 02:07 PM.

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Default

    thanks very much , i hope to get some great night shots when i am in SG in a few weeks, got to bring tripod though :-(
    manfrotto 190 NAT , a bit heavy for suitcase

  5. #5

    Default

    Originally posted by bumjube
    thanks very much , i hope to get some great night shots when i am in SG in a few weeks, got to bring tripod though :-(
    manfrotto 190 NAT , a bit heavy for suitcase
    Nice shots. First shot a tad bit over-exposed(blue light on the tops of the buildings). How's the noise level on D100? Any hot pixels?

  6. #6

    Default

    find the noise level quite good , hot pixels are evident when i have long exposure and the noise reduction is turned off.

    if you want to see full size jpegs of these same shots go here
    www.pbase.com/bumjube/d100

  7. #7

    Default

    Originally posted by bumjube
    find the noise level quite good , hot pixels are evident when i have long exposure and the noise reduction is turned off.

    if you want to see full size jpegs of these same shots go here
    www.pbase.com/bumjube/d100

    does the noise reduction degrade the image in other ways like blur it?

  8. #8

    Default

    i dont beleive so , unlike the noise reduction in nikon capture software that runs what looks like a gausian blur accross the image the incamera one basically takes your picture then takes another without opening shutter and subtracts the hot pixels from the image.

    one disadvantage is your buffer is halved and it takes twice as long for the photo

  9. #9

    Default

    Originally posted by bumjube
    i dont beleive so , unlike the noise reduction in nikon capture software that runs what looks like a gausian blur accross the image the incamera one basically takes your picture then takes another without opening shutter and subtracts the hot pixels from the image.

    one disadvantage is your buffer is halved and it takes twice as long for the photo
    interesting... i suppose the wait is ok. does switching on noise reduction affect maximum resolution mode you can select since the buffer is halved.

  10. #10

    Default

    i have done some tests with the hot pixel testing program,photos taken in TIFF with lens cap on and viewfinder cap on as manual recomends

    took photos at 1/30 , 1 , 3 , 5 , 10 sec and with noise reduction there are no hot or dead pixels at any shutter speed

    turned off noise reduction and get following
    10 sec 38 hot / 0 dead
    5 sec 21 hot / 0 dead
    3 sec 12 hot / 0 dead
    1 sec 2 hot / 0 dead
    1/30 sec 0 hot / 0 dead

    and the noise reduction doesnt change resolution , it just uses more buffer because it needs to store 2 photos (1 real ,1 dark) to do the noise subtraction

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •