Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
Simply put, The People, aka Voting Citizen, commonly and expectedly... votes in Govt for their own 'Interest'... that interest could be Democracy, Justice, Personality, Trust... etc. And at many times... Politicians in many fully democratic countries need to get votes by promising more and more inorder to get voted. That includes more Welfare or Benefits... shorter working hours and more Annual Leaves for employees... in other places.... cheaper Oil or Gas... etc. If not more... at least maintaining what is already given.

The problem is... with everyone expecting some new and better benefits at every Election even when those Benefits/Welfare/Oil or Gas cannot be gave out freely anymore... any Politicians planning to reform will not likely to get voted in simply because he/she is threatening the 'Interest' of the people.... much like if you 'have' to pay my 2 annual holidays (some European Countries and employer does that)... and now you threaten to stop doing so... I could return the threat by saying ''I'll Vote For The Other Guy/Parties'' or find another Job.

Using Greece as an example... they are known to have lots of benefits and welfare even when their country spents alot of their GDP to give it to them, even with borrowed money. For Right or Wrong... the Greek have a reputation of being 'lazy' and laid back in Europe. And we know what is the result since the Euro Zone crisis had begun...

To me... I too would like the Govt... any Govt, to put the interest of the people 1st... but is the people's interest always good and sustainable in the long run. Will the People always be willing to put their interest aside for the benefits of their Nation when their Country need it ??
hmmm... i agree with you for the first and second para hahah....but what i think is that is as much of a problem about the govt and the people..both acts out of their self-interests ....and to me the key is still to balance the interests of different groups of people...and prevent abuse from either side.... but for me the nation still equates to the people, or the citizens.... what you mentioned "people put their interest aside for the benefits of the nation" is simply to me a matter of difference of short or long term interests.... the "nation" that suffers or benefits is stilll the people itself... the govt can, and have even more power and ability than the people..to advance self-interests at the expense of the nation , more than the people itself....and our govt are not shy from asking for benefits also hahaha...