Thread: Is Gaffer Tape = Cloth Tape?

Default Is Gaffer Tape = Cloth Tape?

Is Gaffer tape = Cloth Tape? I saw some cloth tapes (3M) from the DIY shop, are they the same as the popular Gaffer tape?

If not, is there anyway I can get one from the local shop besides the popular MO here??

Thanks

Default No one knows or am I asking a stupid q?

Perhaps alot of us never seen the cloth tapes from 3M before.

to wat i know there is different type of adhesive & cloth...

i think gaffer's point is the adhesive structure is non-residue... so when peal, it will not leave marks, some cloth tapes i bought will have residue & its damn sticky... and the marks they leave behind are semi permanent, meaning it will stain... some will produce oil which kinda spoil the plastic...

there is also other type of cloth, like for eg, the tapes i use in my work is glass cloth, which is fibreglass cloth... those that withstand a higher temp & also flame redundant... the adhesive can withstand more than 200 degree C... which normal adhesive can't...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

there is

1. cloth tape. really flimsy and feels like a cloth

2. duct tape. leaves some very slight residue when peeled off a surface. go to funan 2nd floor there is a big stationary store at one of its corner there are many examples there on the shelves. duct tape feels more sticky than gaffer tape

3. gaffer tape. no reside, non sticky feeling

There's one kind of tape, the ones found in new fridges to hold the doors from sliding, or when buying new printers.. feels like plastic, pretty good grip, but peels off easily with no residue.. where does that fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    There's one kind of tape, the ones found in new fridges to hold the doors from sliding, or when buying new printers.. feels like plastic, pretty good grip, but peels off easily with no residue.. where does that fit in?
    plastic tape...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Default Thanks for the reply...and...

where can I get the Gaffer tape in SG? Malaysia? (or Shanghai,Taiwan & Korea where I do travel to)??

And does the product labelled as "Gaffer Tape" or some other name???

Thanks in advance

canturn might have a few rolls left, pm him to check?