Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Imagine L’Eau d’Issey Photography Competition Spring 2005

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    Darren, could you pls clarify what you mean by 'similiar products/shapes'? so, would stuff toys or small electronic gadgets be excluded.
    Trying to clarify with Luxasia on this. My personal feeling is that I would prefer something similiar to the final object in mind. Having said that, if a photographer can make a stuffed toy or electronic gadget look real good, then he/she would stand a good chance of being selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    sounds like fun...

just a question... can i take a pic with a digital cam & print on a A4 photo paper via printer?
    Definitely can!! And like I said in the previous para, if it stands out, you have a good chance of being selected.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Hoped Clubsnap would have pointed this out before........

If you can agree on this of course you can join, its fun! But don't forget this is commercial.....

Hong Sien
    Hi Hong Sien,
    Appreciate your pointing out the clause on copyright, but I just want to make a clarification :-
    a) for the pre-selection submissions, copyright belongs to the photographer and submissions will not be used again.

b) for the competition proper, each selected photographer will receive a bottle of the fragrance (worth approx S$150) so they are already ahead of the game in this respect. Then they stand to win the grand prize of $3000 cash, or one of the consolation prizes. In any case, the submissions for the contest will more or less feature the fragrance bottle prominently, thus negating any possible usage beyond promotion of said product (or to be blunt, the photographer probably would not be able to sell/re-use the photo in other avenues).

And yes, the organiser is paying out a total of almost S$14K in prizes which is actually more than some of the recent competitions that we know of.

A friend of mine who won a prize (I think first or third prize) for an underwater photo organized by an environmental magazine, saw his own picture (not the one that won the prize though) being used on the front cover, which he didn't object to. BUT they placed the pic with somebodies elses name as the maker! And when he tried several times to contact them, they just kept quiet. Its about intentions and morals.......the organizer of this one may be ok, but I don't know them.....do you?

Not that the quality of amateurs are equal to those of pros (but hey some are really good!).....the amount of money they save is so much! 30 pics of each SGD 5000 made by a pro equals to SGD 150.000..........and here they may invest SGD 14.000 and get 30 likely usable pics for them....

IF they had no intention of using these pics for later advertising, why do they want to own the copyrights?????

Hong Sien
    Last edited by hongsien; 20th January 2005 at 09:56 PM.

Hi Darren,

Since the organiser said they are not going to use the pre-selection pictures, it it possible to watermark the images and place a semi-transparent "SAMPLE" text across the printed image for submission? Just like those we see when $50 bills are printed on magazines.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    A friend of mine who won a prize (I think first or third prize) for an underwater photo organized by an environmental magazine, saw his own picture (not the one that won the prize though) being used on the front cover, which he didn't object to. BUT they placed the pic with somebodies elses name as the maker! And when he tried several times to contact them, they just kept quiet. Its about intentions and morals.......the organizer of this one may be ok, but I don't know them.....do you?
    I cannot comment on the competition held by others, but as far as I know (and I am fairly sure I know which magazine(s) you are referring to), those types of competitions dictate that all submissions for the competition become fair use for their own purposes. Which is vastly different from Luxasia's competition for which they are requesting rights for future use of the pictures submitted of their product.

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Sien
    IF they had no intention of using these pics for later advertising, why do they want to own the copyrights?????
    Sorry, I meant that the photographer may not be able to use the photographs submitted of the fragrance bottle in future publications or competitions as they are of a specific nature. Note however that this will of course only apply to the one photo that you submitted - if you took 100 other similiar but not exactly 100% identical photos, and submitted the one you thought was best, you still retain copyright of the 99 other shots.

At the end of the day, its entirely up to the photographer whether or not they want to enter this competition. We have tried to come to a middle ground with the organiser on rights and copyrights but there isn't a solution that will suit all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug
    Hi Darren,

Since the organiser said they are not going to use the pre-selection pictures, it it possible to watermark the images and place a semi-transparent "SAMPLE" text across the printed image for submission? Just like those we see when $50 bills are printed on magazines.
    I don't see where that would be a problem, but if the watermark is too prominent or distracting, that would not be to the photographers advantage.

We just have to have some basic trust in the organiser that they will not use the pre-selection entries without getting prior approval or agreement with the copyright owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren

At the end of the day, its entirely up to the photographer whether or not they want to enter this competition. We have tried to come to a middle ground with the organiser on rights and copyrights but there isn't a solution that will suit all.
    I agree it is entirely up to the person to join this competition or not, I think it is fun too! I was just trying to point that this looks to me a commercial use of the entries (I am referring to the final 30 pieces for the second round), which they paid a relatively low price for,...........not that they make money out of the pics, but it is 'cheap'........and it also takes some potential job(s) away from the pros.....I am not sure if these kind of competitions are going to promote photography? Again, if they didn't have commercial intentions, why do they want to own the copyright?........possible to ask them to do away with this? Just want to hear their response :-)

There was a small competition too here organised by LTA, with a similar point in their agreement, after I sent an email to the organiser they did remove that point (apparently, they just added that as they thought it was 'normal procedure')......thus it works.

Hong Sien
    Last edited by hongsien; 20th January 2005 at 11:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Boost for the day. One more week to go before deadline for submission of pre-selection entries.

Darren,

You mentioned in the begining of the thread that each participant need to submit TWO (2) images for the pre-selection.

However, the entry form clearly stated that maximum is TWO but one will
    do as well - there is even an option in the form to state whether you are
    submitting one or two images.

Can you clarify ?

Thanks !

Lightbulb

Darren, would submission by digital image/s do? i know prints are better. as these are preliminary rounds and thus not critical, can we submit by digital image/s? it will save time and some money too.

i tend to agree with hongsien that there is some level of unfair compensation to the photographers whose pictures are being selected and then used for commercial usage such as product advertisements, etc with being further compensated. A competition is a competition and in all fairness, the price money (regardless of the money, although bigger amount would clearly indicate the worth of the picture. It is actually quite relative though) is purely a form recognition to the work of the photographer.

Personally, i felt that if the pictures were to be used for further commercial use, a separate contract should be negotiated between the organizer (who is the maker of the perfume) and the photographer to bring things to a more professional level of arrangement.

On a separate side of things, I would still say the effort to get such a competition organize is very commendable on the part of the organizer especially the nature of the photography is towards still life commercial work. I say so because it offers a great opportunity for new photographers and pro-aspiring photographers the opportunity to surface into the commercial photography landscape.

Just my 2 cents worth of thought... no offense to anybody. ... Daniel
    but it is 'cheap'........and it also takes some potential job(s) away from the pros.....I am not sure if these kind of competitions are going to promote photography? Again, if they didn't have commercial intentions, why do they want to own the copyright?........possible to ask them to do away with this? Just want to hear their response :-)
    Blog
    Finally, the Roots.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    Darren, would submission by digital image/s do? i know prints are better. as these are preliminary rounds and thus not critical, can we submit by digital image/s? it will save time and some money too.
    Ya. I am sure it will get better response. It ain't cheap to print it.

Blog Entries

Default Updated Entry requirements for Pre-Selection

We have verified with Luxasia on the submission of digital files and we are pleased to inform that interested photographers can now submit their entries for the pre-selection via email or CD.

Sending via CD
    1. Save your image(s) in JPEG format on a CD
    2. Minimum dimensions of 1800 x 1200 pixels
    3. Send in the CD in together with your entry form to the address specified.

Sending via EMAIL
    1. Save your image(s) in JPEG format
    2. Minimum dimensions of 1800 x 1200 pixels
    3. Email your entry with the attached images to luxasia-competition_at_clubsnap.com (replace _at_ with @)
    4. Your email entry should have the following information in the email subject body - your full name, your contact address and your phone number

Number of images per entry - You can submit up to TWO different images for consideration.

Naming of image files (both CD/email) - For ease of identification, please try to name your files as follows - RealName-Title-Date.jpg. For example, if I enter a Coca-Cola bottle image, I would name it as DarrenLau-CokeBottleSillhoutte-20040125.jpg

Please note that the deadline still remains at 31st January 2005, so those of you who are still wavering, please send in your entries immediately.

Lightbulb

thank you for easing the submission of pre-selection pics.

Darren,

Great news.

One more clarification for point 4 under "Sending via EMAIL" :

Do you mean to include those info in the subject of the email OR in the body
    of the email ?

If you meant body of the email, then is there any guidelines for the subject of the email or it's up to us ?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kst
    If you meant body of the email, then is there any guidelines for the subject of the email or it's up to us ?
    I guess the subject (title) of the email could read "Entry from Real Name - Image title" or something along those lines. To make it easier to decipher.

On the final round how could you prevent a person from voting for himself hundred times and get his relatives and friends to vote for him another hundred times?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    On the final round how could you prevent a person from voting for himself hundred times and get his relatives and friends to vote for him another hundred times?
    I am assuming that the organiser will have some system in place to safeguard against this. In any case, I will clarify with them on the voting procedure for the final round.

Blog Entries

Boost for Friday. Deadline for submission is Monday 31st January, so please send in your entries now.

Will the results be posted here?

ya lor, how do those shortlisted for the finals through CS email know the result? today is already fri, i think i didn't get into the finals. no mails in the box.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast