Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast

Thread: Broke yet another screen protector.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Broke yet another screen protector.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Not exactly a tree but i guess he has to start somewhere. Pretty sure he has some unique shots that 99% of the photographers there missed because unwilling to take risks.
    And all you did is climb a tree. FYI You have not done 10% the things he has done to get the pics he wanted. I don't have many pics of him doing these things but I can assure you, you are way way behind him in risk taking as well as quality of pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    you make it sound as if it's not a risk if it's not climbing a tree. you sound so cocky here because this is what you sound like: "hey i'm better because i climb trees and he just climbs a lamp post".
    snopes.com: Grand Canyon Leap of Faith

Some would call this a tree..

Some would also call this a tree..

I've seen all sorts - accounts of mountains and torrential rivers... insurmountable obstacle courses to get to a scene... Then in the end you try it for yourself and you look at the words and laugh. It's Singapore! How bad could it be? Sometimes you'd be surprised that your own standards can differ quite a bit from what most people think is risky.
    Case in point.

One thing i learnt about this business...being invisible will not get work. Its going the extra mile to get the work is what impress a lot of clients to even look my way especially in small SG which is slowly being saturated by local and foreign photographers. If only i wasnt so invisible and kept humble about my achievements when young. Perhaps life could have been different. Ah well, C'est la vie.
    Yes, being invisible doesn't help.

But inflation of your own ego on the internet, or blowing your trumpet non-stop doesn't help in the long run, if you don't have the results to back it up.

Like I always say, hardly anyone cares if you climb a tree, rode a crocodile, killed 20 White Walkers or slew 800 Gorgons to get a shot. Really. Which is why I find it a wee bit ridiculous when certain people like to go on and on about how hard the shot was to get. Sure, it adds a sense of adventure, some people will say "Whoa! Dedication!" but it doesn't detract from the quality of the image, whether it's a ball breaker or just something commonplace which doesn't justify any effort made to get it.

If you DID slay 800 Gorgons to get a shot and it's a snapshot, it remains a snapshot. I'm sure you'll have fun telling stories but the funniest part is that people will just laugh and say that they could take that shot from their bed.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 5th June 2012 at 09:09 AM.

An act of courage is an act of stupidity you survived without injury.
    Last edited by dodgethis; 5th June 2012 at 09:11 AM.
    Canon 5D MkIII|70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM|24-70 f2.8 L II USM|Σ 50 f1.4 EX DG HSM

YAY! I'm a pro too! cos I climbed the tree and shoot before!!!!

Thought I'm a pro, but not my photo =(

Care to show your "pro" photo taken when you are on the tree?

Maybe I should find different to climb and shoot. and also break a few screen protector.
    Last edited by nicorn; 5th June 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Yes, please do show us the photo you shot up on the tree. Like what the others have said, every photographer can claim that he/she took risks to find a unique perspective. I'm sure even many of the landscape photographers here can boast of the amount of work that goes before and after each shot(e.g. using software to find out the direction of the sun/moon, scouting for locations, perching tripods precariously off ledges, waking up early in the morning, submerging tripods in water and whatnot), but many of us don't because what counts is the end result. And it's even worse if you go through all that trouble only to find out that the perspective isn't exactly as unique as what you initially thought it to be.

You know what would be hilarious? The person who is just standing there and gets the photo while the guy risking it falls down from the tree during that moment lol

Maybe I should go get myself a Pentax K20D, a few screen protector (to break it), try to do what other pro photographer cannot do (eg climbing the tree to take photo) and maybe a few more stunt to become very "pro"

Saw some photo taken by him, "pro" is the word to describe him.
    Last edited by nicorn; 5th June 2012 at 10:37 AM.

im not a pro....but....

this happens...

think i put in a unpadded bag..and got a small crack on the GSS.oh well..

Quote Originally Posted by nicorn View Post
    Maybe I should go get myself a Pentax K20D, a few screen protector (to break it), try to do what other pro photographer cannot do (eg climbing the tree to take photo) and maybe a few more stunt to become very "pro"

Saw some photo taken by him, "pro" is the word to describe him.
    there are different levels of being a "pro" also. lol.

One thing i learnt about this business...being invisible will not get work. Its going the extra mile to get the work is what impress a lot of clients to even look my way especially in small SG which is slowly being saturated by local and foreign photographers. If only i wasnt so invisible and kept humble about my achievements when young. Perhaps life could have been different. Ah well, C'est la vie.

Now to make the most of it.

Your works should speak louder thn your words
    Pls pardon me, as I don't come across this term often here, what does 'turned pro' mean?

Ai yoh, some examples that being saying in this thread hor, wonder if is considered risk or stupid. Take a picture must go and do so many dangerous things meh?

I'm glad Nikon supply a plastic LCD protector which so far didn't give any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    I'm glad Nikon supply a plastic LCD protector which so far didn't give any problems.
    Maybe one day camera lcd will be those using gorilla glass then no need to even use a lcd protector.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Just finished a product shoot which paid for yesterday equipment binge including wireless flash trigger. I really hate having to remove reflections.

Quite impressed with Chromage wireless flash trigger. Nohing fancy but works remarkably well, quite a deal since it comes with 2 receivers and importantly it supports pentax mount on the back in black and white. Also have the option of adding more flash in the future as they sell the receiver alone as well.

As for the screen protector, it worked fine even though its plastic and not glass.

Going to get more stuff today. Just got 5 days worth of jobs last night and a few require certain gadgets to make the job easier.

At this rate, i am so going to need to use a lugagge bag to haul the stuff around.
    Last edited by Reportage; 5th June 2012 at 12:36 PM.

Now to make the most of it.
    yes. but you should not make it sound as if others are not as good as you just because you do it and they don't. you get the point?

Just finished a product shoot which paid for yesterday equipment binge including wireless flash trigger. I really hate having to remove reflections.
    I thought pros can shoot without having to get reflections.

they should know.

This thread has just turned into an ego trip for the TS.

'Oh look at me, I do things that no one else does to get the shot. I am sooooo awesome.'

'I do things that causes my LCD protector to crack. I am xtremmmmeeeeeeee.'

'oh look at the stuff I got to do my photoshoots. There is so much now that I need a luggage bag to carry them around.'

'Oh noooo, I just got more jobs and need to buy more things.'

Cool story, bro.
    Last edited by dodgethis; 5th June 2012 at 01:03 PM.

I'm not convinced of glass screen protectors. They scatter relatively easy and sometimes damage the screen itself.

I hope that's not the product shot.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    yes. but you should not make it sound as if others are not as good as you just because you do it and they don't. you get the point?
    I have always gotten the point but thus far i think it has gotten me nowhere. Now i have a very healthy balance sheet at months end and enough sleep. And i dont even have to negotiate rates nowadays, either my rates or find another guy.

To compromise, i am willing to admit that there are things other photographers can do that i cannot / wont do and there are things that i can do that they cannot / wont do. That is my niche market on this small island though soon enough, i might be going places.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast