Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Broke yet another screen protector.

Default Re: Broke yet another screen protector.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    lets just say not many photographers in sg willing to take as much risk as i would for an image. Besides the pentax k20d was made tough. I can honestly say it can last as long as a canon 1d...heck might even outlast it. Now that is build quality.
    And what sort of risk is that? In any case, you can claim all sorts of things on the Internet.

I've seen all sorts - accounts of mountains and torrential rivers... insurmountable obstacle courses to get to a scene... Then in the end you try it for yourself and you look at the words and laugh. It's Singapore! How bad could it be? Sometimes you'd be surprised that your own standards can differ quite a bit from what most people think is risky.

No doubt the Pentax K20D build quality is good, I have used it myself before. But I would like to also point out that there are risks, and there are risks. Making an uncalculated risky move is silly; making a calculated risky move to get a shot is smart. For example, jumping into a tiger enclosure at the Singapore Zoo and hitting the napping tiger there with your camera is risky, but probably won't give you very good results (for you, or your camera). As opposed to extending the camera on a tripod out into open space and triggering it via remote to get a clearer view (due to recessed views that are so common in Singapore).

So here you seem to hint that you know what caused the problem, and it is the risk you take for an image. Earlier you claim that you don't know what caused the problem - so which is it?

I hope you don't get me wrong here, but could I enquire on the purpose of this thread beyond what seems so far to be self-glorification? (i.e. "I'm a pro. I take risks!")
    Last edited by edutilos-; 4th June 2012 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    the wonder u are a pro now
    I take calculated risks. How many photographers do you know who would climb a tree to get direct line of sight on the subjects? Crazy isnt it? To risk life and limb so that pictures would be different then the rest.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    And what sort of risk is that? In any case, you can claim all sorts of things on the Internet.

I've seen all sorts - accounts of mountains and torrential rivers... insurmountable obstacle courses to get to a scene... Then in the end you try it for yourself and you look at the words and laugh. It's Singapore! How bad could it be? Sometimes you'd be surprised that your own standards can differ quite a bit from what most people think is risky.

No doubt the Pentax K20D build quality is good, I have used it myself before. But I would like to also point out that there are risks, and there are risks. Making an uncalculated risky move is silly; making a calculated risky move to get a shot is smart. For example, jumping into a tiger enclosure at the Singapore Zoo and hitting the napping tiger there with your camera is risky, but probably won't give you very good results (for you, or your camera). As opposed to extending the camera on a tripod out into open space and triggering it via remote to get a clearer view (due to recessed views that are so common in Singapore).

So here you seem to hint that you know what caused the problem, and it is the risk you take for an image. Earlier you claim that you don't know what caused the problem - so which is it?

I hope you don't get me wrong here, but could I enquire on the purpose of this thread beyond what seems so far to be self-glorification? (i.e. "I'm a pro. I take risks!")
    Well, whenever we go out of house we take the risk that we might get run over by bus anytime or one of the millions of things that could happen. I am just the guy to take such risks to do what i like. Possibly nutty but true.

I take calculated risks. How many photographers do you know who would climb a tree to get direct line of sight on the subjects? Crazy isnt it? To risk life and limb so that pictures would be different then the rest.
    I think it is the worst when you risk your life and limb and your pictures are worse than the rest. :P

Well, whenever we go out of house we take the risk that we might get run over by bus anytime or one of the millions of things that could happen. I am just the guy to take such risks to do what i like. Possibly nutty but true.
    Oh come on, I'm sure you are well aware that I'm not talking about that sort of risk. But it's a nice way to avoid the questions in the last post directed at you.

Might as well say that I risk being electrocuted by a keyboard flaw when I'm typing this reply. Possibly nutty but true too.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage

Yes, it is crazy. No, it doesn't make you a better photographer.

best thing is to be careful of using an
    d taking care of our gears.
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

it's just a tree... what so tough about it then climbing a mountain and shooting massive landscape? the perils of ruining your equipment is much higher.

if you know how to sling your camera correctly and tightly to your body, it should not swing that much when you climb.

I always sling my cam side ways, cam on my back tightly against my body when i trek the mountains and hills when i go overseas.
    Last edited by sinned79; 4th June 2012 at 05:27 PM.

u don't need to do crazy **** to get a picture that's different from the rest.

you just have to think creatively.

maybe the next tree you climb will be the last. who knows. sure as hell doesn't mean you get a better / different picture from the rest.

and def. not worth it.

Buy a flip LCD screen DSLR?
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    Buy a flip LCD screen DSLR?
    and what if TS manages to break off the entire LCD?

encase the camera in titanium?

actually was about to clean the camera just now when i noticed. Monday is basically when i clean all my gear.
    thats quite amazing to only realise this when about to clean the camera... wonder how will one not have notice?

Blog Entries

sports photography more scary. wait till you see a 1dmk4 smashing another 1dmk4, all with big big lenses... i call that painful
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 4th June 2012 at 10:23 PM.

While waiting for the replacements to arrive, dropped by Cityhall to give this one a try.

Not glass but hardened plastic. See how this one goes.
    Last edited by Reportage; 4th June 2012 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    sports photography more scary. wait till you see a 1dmk4 smashing another 1dmk4, all with big big lenses... i call that painful
    or someone turning a 70-200 into a mug

WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Blog Entries

I know quite a few... This is one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I know quite a few... This is one of them...

Not exactly a tree but i guess he has to start somewhere. Pretty sure he has some unique shots that 99% of the photographers there missed because unwilling to take risks.

Not exactly a tree but i guess he has to start somewhere. Pretty sure he has some unique shots that 99% of the photographers there missed because unwilling to take risks.
    you make it sound as if it's not a risk if it's not climbing a tree. you sound so cocky here because this is what you sound like: "hey i'm better because i climb trees and he just climbs a lamp post".

notice that he is bare-footed. there could be nails on the ground or he might even fall and hit his head.

you're not more daring than someone else just because you can climb a tree.

i can tell you what i did to get a wide-angle view of the singapore skyline from an office building 7 years ago:

21 floors up, i climbed out on a ledge and sat with my feet dangling down. it's bloody dangerous but you don't see me talking about it like i'm better than you because i did that.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    you make it sound as if it's not a risk if it's not climbing a tree. you sound so cocky here because this is what you sound like: "hey i'm better because i climb trees and he just climbs a lamp post".

notice that he is bare-footed. there could be nails on the ground or he might even fall and hit his head.

you're not more daring than someone else just because you can climb a tree.

i can tell you what i did to get a wide-angle view of the singapore skyline from an office building 7 years ago:

21 floors up, i climbed out on a ledge and sat with my feet dangling down. it's bloody dangerous but you don't see me talking about it like i'm better than you because i did that.
    One thing i learnt about this business...being invisible will not get work. Its going the extra mile to get the work is what impress a lot of clients to even look my way especially in small SG which is slowly being saturated by local and foreign photographers. If only i wasnt so invisible and kept humble about my achievements when young. Perhaps life could have been different. Ah well, C'est la vie.

Now to make the most of it.
    Last edited by Reportage; 5th June 2012 at 02:40 AM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast