Thread: Exposure Doesn't Pay Bills

Default Exposure Doesn't Pay Bills

Every time, when someone come and seek for photographers for free or low budget services in the name of giving exposure (giving credit), you not sure how to tell them you don't want to work for free, or tired of telling them again and again, this video can help you, Just send this video to their PM/email box.

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Default Re: Exposure Doesn't Pay Bills

This is still my all time favorite, from a famous writer.

seems like the term "day rate" should be avoided these days?

Why “Day Rates” Are Bad For Photographers ‹ PhotoShelter Blog

Being lowballed is one thing...its when the job scope they say do not match the job scope of the actual day event. Eg, go there for photo booth job but in the end kena become the event photographer.

--> http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2005-06-06/
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Being lowballed is one thing...its when the job scope they say do not match the job scope of the actual day event. Eg, go there for photo booth job but in the end kena become the event photographer.

--> Dilbert comic strip for 06/06/2005 from the official Dilbert comic strips archive.
    Some common tricks lah.

Hire event photog for product launch publicity event, reach the place you shoot (1) shop interiors (2) staff photos (3) that range of new products on shelves, THEN (4) the event, then all those photos goes into press kit, (5) publish on magazines here and there, no credit to, credits to them instead.

Read about a Australian wedding photog who charges AUD500 per hour for wedding, $250 for events, client hire her for an event and on reaching the client says 'Surprise! The event is a wedding!'

Walk or renegotiate on the spot.

That's why it's important to have agreement or proper quotation prior entering any job. Real pros do it. Wannabe pros and amateurs don't and is exactly this bad practice that encourage clients to pull tricks and squeeze photogs.

family portrait session become blogshot apparel shoot also have.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post

Hire event photog for product launch publicity event, reach the place you shoot (1) shop interiors (2) staff photos (3) that range of new products on shelves, THEN (4) the event, then all those photos goes into press kit, (5) publish on magazines here and there, no credit to, credits to them instead.
    this is a sad practice, but if anyone pulls dis trick on you, you can always renegotiate on the spot. If the contact person is nowhere to be seen to discuss a negotiation, just follow instructions, take what is required of you e.g "The event + the extra things". You can always bill them later.

One of the cons i can think of is that, i may not be fully prepared (gear wise) if the event im shooting is not as what has been discussed before. That's why its always good to really drill down to the nitty gritty of the event, what it entails... and who or what you are required to shoot.
    give me a pen, and i'll give you my signature

My usual advice is, prepare a job contract / job scope document. Have u & the client sign it.. That way you can save yourself from doing things not listed under the original job scope (Or at least you have the bargain power if you need to negotiate on the spot).

Anw back to the "exposure" part, sometimes you do need exposure. It's not something you have to die die avoid. Especially if the project builds your experience & portfolio.

To be honest, with any job, you ask the clients about the nature of the scope.

I guess if your rates are expensive enough, there are less people pulling those trick on you

I do from time to time have clients who can try to sneak in the clothing line for me to shoot. I normally mentioned to them if they need to use the images commercially, they will need to obtain commercial release from me as whatever charge i quoted is for personal only. So that basically deter them away.

If the clients are trying their luck, you can communicate with them should the scope change and ask them if they are ok with the extra charge.

As a pro, as much as love our work and passionate about it, we do need to put food on the table which mean making some profit for that. I openly say that to clients if they ask for discount. Most will understand.

Exposure indeed do nothing to put food on the table but sometimes you can do it for different reasons.

Regards,

Hart

What I do, and advice other photogs do, is to attach a price tariff in email. On the tariff it will show that clients can order anything, but everything has a price. In email wording I quote the relevant but add the line my price tariff is attached for your reference should you need to order more services later, just let me know.

Sometimes on site, the hiring client you deal with might not be around to oversee, a Ms Smartie who think she knows will pull the shoot this shoot that shoot everything trick she learned somewhere from maybe a less prestigious company. I will just invoice accordingly. Either they pay or they call me to clarify and I will let then know which Ms Smartie ordered those dishes on the menu and let them sort out among themselves.

If its a regular good client I will waive or discount a bit for continual relationship if the client ask so and if the work involved were not tedious.

On the contract part, don't say what you don't want to do or what the client cannot get.

Rather, state what you will do for how much. I will be happy to do as much as I can for you as long as you pay me according to my asking price.

Yup...

agreed... that is what I do exactly... most thing can be done (some is impossible) at a price.

My full price list is always communicated to the clients, if they prefer not to read through them but tell me that they have and understand, well, generally, they don't come back and bite me so to speak.

Regards,

Hart