Thread: Pathethic - they had to do ah-kwa act to get noticed

Default Pathethic - they had to do ah-kwa act to get noticed

The things people do the further their chances of being noticed on local TV/stage/ stand up comedy / drama circuit.

It is all very sad. What on earth is wrong with Mediacorp? Are the producers/directors from HK forcing the actors to do this?

Shows the lack of real acting talent & skills, good looks and just plain masculinity amongst local actors. We cannot produce a James Dean or Richard Gere. Very few real men, so some pretend to be women hoping to become famous that way.

Auntie Lucy - the absolute worst of the lot. Artificial. Contrived. Makes your skin crawl. Tries to use catch phrase "so embarassing"

Liang Po Po - Jack Neo - probably the first. Not the worst. Act is for elderly old lady.

Hossan Leong - latest to try this route to fame. Uses the catch phrase "confirm, double confirm".

(non-TV artistes -probably not Mediacorp entertainers)

Kumar - maybe this one not an act but really the Liberace type. One consultant trainer said maybe his mum gave him a barbie doll by mistake when he was a toddler - instead of a toy gun.

Ivan Heng - same comment as for Kumar
    Last edited by ricohflex; 3rd June 2012 at 12:56 PM.

Supply n demand, if no one bother, they will eat grass, unfortunately their biz seems thriving, so llbp lor.

Default Re: Pathethic - they had to do ah-kwa act to get noticed

To me is ok. they dun lie, cheat, steal and rob. they using their skills to earn their money. also not easy to act as what they doing.

Media corp was doing what they should be doing. just that unable to produce real stars.
    Last edited by fotoudavid; 3rd June 2012 at 04:07 PM.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    The things people do the further their chances of being noticed on local TV/stage/ stand up comedy / drama circuit.

It is all very sad. What on earth is wrong with Mediacorp? Are the producers/directors from HK forcing the actors to do this?

Shows the lack of real acting talent & skills, good looks and just plain masculinity amongst local actors. We cannot produce a James Dean or Richard Gere. Very few real men, so some pretend to be women hoping to become famous that way.

Auntie Lucy - the absolute worst of the lot. Artificial. Contrived. Makes your skin crawl. Tries to use catch phrase "so embarassing"

Liang Po Po - Jack Neo - probably the first. Not the worst. Act is for elderly old lady.

Hossan Leong - latest to try this route to fame. Uses the catch phrase "confirm, double confirm".

Kumar - maybe this one not an act but really the Liberace type. One consultant trainer said maybe his mum gave him a barbie doll by mistake when he was a toddler - instead of a toy gun.

Well Kumar is openly gay, not sure about Ivan while the rest are straight (or in the case of Jack Neo - too straight until he will bonk anything).

IMHO....

Like... Watch, Don't like... Don't Watch

With internet and so many other form of web based entertainment... why even bother with free TV.

Scuba & Father... For Life

Not interested in masculinity.

TS prefer like this type of masculine actor instead?

CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

I think you don't watch enough shows..

Robert Downey Junior in Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Well, speaks for itself

Rob Scneider in The Hot Chick

Martin Lawrence in Big Momma's House

Among many, many more.

Going further back we had Mrs Doubtfire and Tootsie.
    My problem is the Mediacorp guys have been running the same gig for way too long.

at the end of the day... when $$$ goes into their pocket... who cares?

Homophobic much?

but it works isn't it? just let them be lor

I'm sorry, but I like Dennis Chew (Auntie Lucy) and Kumar very much. I find both of them hilarious. I watched Kumar live on a show 3-4 years back, I laughed so hard I was thinking about his jokes for days. And Auntie Lucy: what a stress-reliever!
    Last edited by digitalpimp; 5th June 2012 at 11:33 AM.

nah, just shows the limited writing "talent"... their stories tend to be very predictable and boring, with a dash of plot loopholes... stories with cross dressing people can be very good too, like the acclaimed film "Albert Nobbs" (although that is about a woman dressing as a man)

YouTube Video ID No. 25QHBDIJV5Y

Oh man, what a freaking classic.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

The question you should be asking should not be why the artiste are doing it? But rather -> Why are the audience lapping it up?

Same ol' same ol' . If there is no demand for it then there should be no supply for it. Then again, if there are no good alternatives then .......

Though I have to admit, rather sheepishly I might add, I have not watched mediacorp channels for a long, long time.

A certain other forum made queries regarding his orientation.
    He might even be more comfortable behaving his alter ego than he himself.

Quote Originally Posted by pscion12 View Post

Though I have to admit, rather sheepishly I might add, I have not watched mediacorp channels for a long, long time.
    Apart from <News 5 Tonight > I have not been watching much of mediacorp productions for many years...

The best way to get attention isnt it.. To do things that are not so common. Try to do this at other country...US/Europe etc etc..who cares? Not that much

Dont forget..humans are kaypo..and like to make a big hoo-ha out of it. They will especially be interested and want to know more if he/she is unique and less seen around. Maybe here is act ah kwa..

In other country..you see random "mad" people wearing speedo running around dancing to the sexy and i know it song.. etc etc.
    Last edited by TWmilkteaTW; 7th July 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Priscilla Queen of the Desert! Fave!