Thread: Using Tri-band phone in USA/Canada

Default Using Tri-band phone in USA/Canada

Can a Tri-band phone (GSM 900/1800/1900) be used in all parts of USA and Canada? I understand USA is using GSM 850/1900 - does that mean it is covered by this 2 networks at all places? Are there places that run GSM 850 only?

No problem. Useable in almost all places in the USA. What you may want to know is that it may not work in some places purely because they have no reception eg some mountainous areas and national parks; major cities not a problem at all.

Have a good trip.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by gtsoh
    No problem. Useable in almost all places in the USA. What you may want to know is that it may not work in some places purely because they have no reception eg some mountainous areas and national parks; major cities not a problem at all.

Have a good trip.

cheers
    Thanks for the info.

another question: do we just buy a SIM card (or whatever they call it) from the operators in US/Canada - just the case in Singapore?

Actually, I'm sourcing for a hp here, but may be going over next years for some time.... so thinking of getting a tri/quad-band one.

Quote Originally Posted by tkkoh
    Thanks for the info.

another question: do we just buy a SIM card (or whatever they call it) from the operators in US/Canada - just the case in Singapore?

Actually, I'm sourcing for a hp here, but may be going over next years for some time.... so thinking of getting a tri/quad-band one.
    In US you can get a pre-paid SIM similar to what you have here in Singapore. Alternatively (if you only plan to be there for short trip) you can always roam with your Singapore SIM Card.

PS: Most airport and major shopping mall/tourist area will sell such card ..

Just to emphasize what gtsoh said. In many national parks there is no reception. Either get a satellite phone (can't advise you where to get on!) or buy a phone card and call from a public phone.

1. God willing, I hope to futher my studies next year - maybe 4 to 6 years there.
    2. doing biz studies, so don't think will be hanging around national parks to often I should be in the city most of the time.

another question: beside pre-paid card, do they have the normal subscription SIM card as in Singapore?

you may be thinking that I'm planning too far ahead - by the time I go over, I can buy a new handset there. True enough, but I'm thinking of getting a smartphone now, hoping to use it for the next 2 years or so.... that's why all these questions....

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tkkoh
    1. God willing, I hope to futher my studies next year - maybe 4 to 6 years there.
    2. doing biz studies, so don't think will be hanging around national parks to often I should be in the city most of the time.

another question: beside pre-paid card, do they have the normal subscription SIM card as in Singapore?

you may be thinking that I'm planning too far ahead - by the time I go over, I can buy a new handset there. True enough, but I'm thinking of getting a smartphone now, hoping to use it for the next 2 years or so.... that's why all these questions....

thanks!
    Yes they do, and if I am not wrong it may be cheaper for you to buy your phone there together with subscription (usually got big discount). Not sure what paper work required thought .. never tried doing that ....

You may or may not be able to get a handphone subscription there, and it all depends on the policy of the different phone companies. Some require you to have a social security number before allowing you to apply. Some require a good credit history. Some would require you to put a large deposit. Basically they are afraid people chalk up big phone bill but either cannot pay or run away, then they lose money.

Bring your triband there and get an american line so that you can use the American SIM card ie use yr (Spore bought) phone as though it is an american hp; keep your Spore SIM card (but of course, you carry on to pay yr monthly subscription if it is ok with you).

But when you get yr american line, like back home, you also get a phone. What happens is that american phones are way behind Spore ie outdated. Spore always gets the latest phones first. So most students prefer the newer Spore phones and 'sell' the american acquired hp to friends.

As to why I say maintain yr Singapore line; the reason is that as a student, you are bound to travel to South America, Europe etc. they all use GSM. And there, yr american line is useless.

Cheers

Deregistered

Default just go for a good holiday

why you worry who call you are you doing a multi million business?
    best get a satallite phone even Amazon jungle can receive
    Motorola

As mentioned, I'm planning to do a (post-grad) studies in US... not there for holiday (only). So will be relocated there for maybe 5 or 6 years. May also be bringing part of my singapore biz there.

gtsoh: thanks for the good advise - esp your suggestion on selling the american handset. Unlikely that I will keep the local SIM card for few years. The allowances offered by the schools are not really that fantastic. Can survive, but maybe barely. Somemore, will be bringing my wife and soon-to-arrive child....